C5 X7 2l HDi left side engine mount installation - anyone?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Ken W
  • 2 Post By UFO
  • 1 Post By JBN
  • 4 Post By UFO

Thread: C5 X7 2l HDi left side engine mount installation - anyone?

UFO

Default C5 X7 2l HDi left side engine mount installation - anyone?

Hi all,

After a couple of weekends chasing my tail thinking that the vibration and clunk from the front of the C5 was a warped brake rotor or loose caliper mount, I was finally able to diagnose the issue last weekend when I jacked up the front of the car on both sides. I then had Mrs UFO sit in the car and start it and with the bonnet open and her applying the brakes it was simple to see the problem. The front left side of the engine was merrily flopping back and forth in conjunction with braking. D'Oh!

Anyway, I sourced a replacement mount insert from Martin at EAI and it arrived yesterday. Prompt!

I have sourced a diagram from ServiceCitroen that makes the installation look pretty simple. Has anyone else undertaken this installation?

It does look like a simple "remove things like air filter etc until I can see the mount" but I wondered if it's achievable/easier through the left wheel arch with wheel removed.

Unless I hear otherwise I will proceed down the path of car front on ramps, under tray off, support gearbox, burrow into engine bay. Hopefully I can do it with the battery in place, but something tells me no.

I may even take some photos.

Advertisement

Hi Craig,

Haynes Manual for C5 with our engine and GB says
    1. Remove the battery and engine undershield
    2. Remove the diesel engine management ECM and module box as described in Chapter 4B,
    Then you might have enough access to replace the mount.
    It says to use thread locking compound and tighten to 60 Nm torque.

Cheers, Ken

Default Remove Diesel ECM

Craig,

Here is the page on how to remove the Diesel ECM.

You make sure you take some pics.

BTW I am starting to get some clunks in the rear suspension on mine.

Cheers, Ken
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Ken W; 7th December 2017 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Try foir better zip file

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    Craig,

Here is the page on how to remove the Diesel ECM.

You make sure you take some pics.

BTW I am starting to get some clunks in the rear suspension on mine.

Cheers, Ken
    Ken, your zip file fails to open on my laptop (win10) 'File not recognised' tried renaming without success. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

1000+ Posts

The zip is missing its directory.

Folks,

I have emailed the jpg file to Craig so he has it, and I have replaced the zip file for the future if someone else wants to download it. Let me know if it continues to be a dud. I created it with 7-zip using the .zip option this time rather than just changing the file extension. If aussiefrogs would allow jpgs to 500kB I wouldn't need to zip them up.

Cheers, Ken
    UFO likes this.

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    Folks,

I have emailed the jpg file to Craig so he has it, and I have replaced the zip file for the future if someone else wants to download it. Let me know if it continues to be a dud. I created it with 7-zip using the .zip option this time rather than just changing the file extension. If aussiefrogs would allow jpgs to 500kB I wouldn't need to zip them up.

Cheers, Ken
    All good Ken - new zip file opens and is clear. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

1000+ Posts

Come on P.S.A....cannot afford a way to grease a rear suspension bearing..Roland Peugeot would sack you if he could...you want to mess up his 200 year old family enterprise...my dealings with him revealed an absolute gentleman ...whose goal was to serve his fellow man......not shaft them with rubbish.Roland ..some MAY say..would be rolling in his grave...NOT IN MY BOOK. I RECKON HE IS LIKELY SAYING TO GOD...WHO GAVE THEM THE VISION TO BUILD CARS...TO HELP PEOPLE GET A JOB DONE...AND HELP THEIR FAMILIES ENJOY LIFE...HEY GOD..CAN YOU STAND SOMEONE UP DOWN THERE..SOMEONE WITH A BACKBONE..WHO WILL...SORT THIS LOT OUT...the adjudicator may gong THIS out...maybe cause it does not effect
    Him ...or ..Her. but it effects millions of others. Regards..

Sent from my HUAWEI TAG-L22 using aussiefrogs mobile app

UFO

Did the job today. Let me start by saying it has to be the shittiest task I have undertaken on this car. JUST when you think the Bureau de Bastarde had a holiday during C5 X7 design, along comes this...

Jack/support/ramp the car and remove undertray as you will need to support the gearbox with a jack later.

Getting to look at and touch the mount was quite easy. Remove airfilter, battery, disconnect most cables for the engine computer etc and remove bolts etc holding the computer box in place. There are a couple of tricky electrical plugs, but got those out easy enough.

Remove the battery tray - because there is a 10mm bolt in a shit of a position under the ABS block that you need to get to. Cannot get a ratchet and socket onto this bolt only an open ended spanner. Arse hats!

Once you have all the airfilter etc out of the way you can see the mount from the top and also can access the 16mm bolts quite easily with a long extension on a ratchet. Remove the short black metal brace that goes from the top of the mount across to the left side.

Support the gearbox/engine with a jack from underneath.

Start removing the 16mm bolts that hold the mount onto the chassis. All will go fine until you get to the most forward two - these also hold on the bracket for the ABS block and that bracket is also held by the aforementioned 10mm bolt. To remove the very front one you need to get it finger loose and once it's out far enough that you can only just get the socket and rod out you need to lift the ABS block as the bolt comes out further. MAYBE if you have a 16mm ratchet spanner (yeah right!) you may be able to remove the bolt without having to move the ABS bracket - but I doubt it.

Swear - a lot!

Eventually you will get the last bolt out and then you can also remove the two bolts from the top of the mount and extract it by lift the engine end of the mount upwards so that it rotates and you can lift up and out of the engine bay.

Replacement, is as they say, the reversal of removal. Except you stop for lunch and a coffee...

Fortunately once the old mount was out it was easy to see that it is RS and bound for the recycle bin. Once again though it is only the rubber component that has split and its fluid leaked out, meanwhile the majority part - the cast metal frame is fine. Such a bloody waste to have to replace it as well. C'est la vie!

1000+ Posts

It's a job I haven't needed to do yet. I do have ratchet ring spanners and an engine support bar. Any simpler with these?

Indeed would any old beam and a length of decent rope do?

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pekay49 View Post
    Come on P.S.A....cannot afford a way to grease a rear suspension bearing..Roland Peugeot would sack you if he could...you want to mess up his 200 year old family enterprise...my dealings with him revealed an absolute gentleman ...whose goal was to serve his fellow man......not shaft them with rubbish.Roland ..some MAY say..would be rolling in his grave...NOT IN MY BOOK. I RECKON HE IS LIKELY SAYING TO GOD...WHO GAVE THEM THE VISION TO BUILD CARS...TO HELP PEOPLE GET A JOB DONE...AND HELP THEIR FAMILIES ENJOY LIFE...HEY GOD..CAN YOU STAND SOMEONE UP DOWN THERE..SOMEONE WITH A BACKBONE..WHO WILL...SORT THIS LOT OUT...the adjudicator may gong THIS out...maybe cause it does not effect
    Him ...or ..Her. but it effects millions of others. Regards..

Sent from my HUAWEI TAG-L22 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    There is nothing like a good rant about modern poogoe stuff Grease points though .... Not even modern 4wds designed for heavy offroad use seem to use them. Everything is much better sealed these days to prevent contamination or loss of the grease inside the item in question.

The X7 shouldn't have bearings I thought they were a wishbone rear like the poogoe 407. The trailing arm used on hydraulic citroens "forever" fails due to the limited arc the arm travels in. I imagine the bearings tend to skid rather than roll as they age. A grease fitting would allow you to expel any moisture with grease though

I thought the biggest issue with X7's would be the plastic shit breaking everywhere around the item you are trying to repair. access appears quite good at first glance (especially compared to something like the XM).

seeya,
    shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

I think that post was misplaced. The C5 X7 has a multilink rear suspension similar to the Peugeot, with rubber at all movement points.
    C5 X7 2l HDi left side engine mount installation - anyone?-cit-c5-052.jpg

Fellow Frogger!

Citroen C5 - How to replace Transmission Mount - Gearbox Mount - Engine Mount Replacement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjIErO3LLfU

(P.S. Just changed the 307 Transmission mount yesterday, didn't achieve much except now the transmission rides a little higher as the old mount had compressed with age. The 307 only requires the air cleaner and battery/battery bay removed. Not so the C5! I was looking for knocking noises some where in the same area which only appear and heard during driving. I cannot source them from under the hood or out side?)
    Last edited by halfamill; Yesterday at 09:17 PM.

JBN

UFO, you can be proud that you own the last of the real Citroens. Although it was made to look like the Germans, you have shown that it has its Citroen pedigree intact. My heart goes out to future masochists when the last of the real Citroens disappear.

John
    UFO likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by halfamill View Post
    Citroen C5 - How to replace Transmission Mount - Gearbox Mount - Engine Mount Replacement

Can't be that hard - the dude in the video did the whole thing with one hand and a ratcheting screwdriver
    Regards,

Simon

2014 208 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by halfamill View Post

(P.S. Just changed the 307 Transmission mount yesterday, didn't achieve much except now the transmission rides a little higher as the old mount had compressed with age. The 307 only requires the air cleaner and battery/battery bay removed. Not so the C5! I was looking for knocking noises some where in the same area which only appear and heard during driving. I cannot source them from under the hood or out side?)
    That's a different model C5 to mine. The one you have linked is a similar looking process to a C4/307.

UFO

C5 X7 2l HDi left side engine mount installation - anyone?-memo0046.jpg
    The engine bay during disassembly

C5 X7 2l HDi left side engine mount installation - anyone?-memo0056.jpg
    And again

C5 X7 2l HDi left side engine mount installation - anyone?-memo0060.jpg
    Down there is where the mount is.

C5 X7 2l HDi left side engine mount installation - anyone?-memo0055.jpg

Where you can see that clean black semi-circle is where the 10mm bolt goes into the front side of the ABS bracket. A masterpiece of Bureau de Bastarde design.
    C5 X7 2l HDi left side engine mount installation - anyone?-memo0049.jpg
    The old mount

C5 X7 2l HDi left side engine mount installation - anyone?-memo0048.jpg
    New mount

C5 X7 2l HDi left side engine mount installation - anyone?-memo0062.jpg
    All back together again

Thread Information