• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: quick DS quiz

Default quick DS quiz

Question:

Advertisement

Closing panels on underside of sills that screw on, do they have rubber seals on both sides or just the outer?

If just on outer edge do you use one continuous strip along both panels?

the manual lists ONE (typo?) 1.8m rubber or 4 950mm pieces.

I presume you either run a two long ones or four shorter ones on outer edge.

I can’ t remember its been 5 years since I removed them!

Looking forward to answers :]

quick DS quiz-2075d538-fed2-470d-9b43-20501ccd8d2a.jpg

Pretty sure it's both edges if you can make it fit.

I vaguely recall getting some edging strip from Clark Rubber that looked like it would do the trick, just don't recall whether I ever fitted it or not.

Probably not!

Cheers, Pottsy.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Waiting in the wings
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Hi Guys,

From memory, there are 4 Z rubbers, 2 either side, that attach the out part of the closing panel to the outer part of the sill, and the long spongy U section rubber seals the closing panel where it meets the inner sill.

The Z rubbers are in 2 pieces per side as there is a sill reinforcement in the middle that stop the rubber being fitted continuous.

The closing panels are attached to the sill on the inner side with self tappers and screwing into 6 small plates that are at right angles to the inners sill. The plates should be fitted with clips for the self tappers.

The rubbers are readily available from Der Franzose, and relatively inexpensive.

Clarke rubber should be you last resort. The parts from DF are pretty exact replicas of the original, and purchasing from companies like them will encourage them to produce more DS Parts, but buying from CR will produce nothing.

best regards,

Greg
    forumnoreason and Mort Subite like this.
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Both answers are good! Thankyou. I vaguely remember European Autocare suggesting glueing them on to the sill or using sealant for extra protection. As for any of the repro rubber I have serious doubts unfortunately as I have been repeatedly stung with inferior garbage and the amount of forum users who back that up add strength to the argument unfortunately. Its total crap. : (
    GreenBlood likes this.

Icon11 Continuing the quiz theme. . .

Have a look at this engine bay. . . What's unusual?

I'm going to show my lack of knowledge. . .
    Is this a 3 bearing motor with a late model head? The car is a DS19 1968 - LHM 3rd nose - I can't say I've ever noticed or known this set-up

DS 19 1968 BVH SABLE MÉTAL. RÉVISION MÉCANIQUE 03. | Citrothello

Flame suit on

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails quick DS quiz-ds19-68-bvh-engine.jpg   quick DS quiz-ds19-68-bvh.jpg   quick DS quiz-ds19-68-bvh-distributor.jpg  
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!

Hi
    It's a standard, early five bearing engine, set up for 1985cc. So DS 19 and ID19, but they all have the casting that takes the oil pump at the bottom end and can take a distributor at the top end. On the DS21, the distributor end is blanked off because the distributor is instead located at the front of the engine. Early 21s with a distributor at the front had a plate bolted over the top hole. Later cars have a core plug pressed into the hole.
    GreenBlood and Greg like this.

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by Budge View Post
    Hi
    It's a standard, early five bearing engine, set up for 1985cc. So DS 19 and ID19, but they all have the casting that takes the oil pump at the bottom end and can take a distributor at the top end. On the DS21, the distributor end is blanked off because the distributor is instead located at the front of the engine. Early 21s with a distributor at the front had a plate bolted over the top hole. Later cars have a core plug pressed into the hole.
    Ahh so!! Thanks for your insight

I wonder if we would have seen this set-up in Aus?

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Hi Guys,

I'm sure there are engines like this in Australia, it has the inlet manifold mainly internally in the head, with only a small manifold in the middle to take the carby. It was similar to the DS & ID 19 setup It was only fitted to DV, DY DL & DLF (safari) cars to 09/1968.

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

ok D lovers another quiz.
    Putting the wipers back on and when the automatic switch off position is reached with the spindle correctly parallel behind the arm that goes to the wiper arm the rotation position for the wipers leaves it in the open position which then halts tightening the 8mm head on the bolt for the wiper. The only thing I tampered with was cleaning up the motor itself, nothing else, could I have the gizzards of the motor in 180’ round wrong?
    Driving me crazy!

Hello, without fitting the wiper arms and assuming you can't just try by switching them on, if you earth the body then put 12 volts to either the red or blue wires (the ones which disappear into the motor) it will start running. If you then simultaneously connect to the white wire, it will park (and spark!). Then you can fit the arms.

I may not have understood the question though

Peter

Hi Peter yes done all that hence massive confusion, its 34 C here plus massive humidity = insanity. the auto stop on the wiper bits sticking out under window are stopping on wrong side! ie sweeping from left to right. The actual wipers only tighten care of spring from one direction and even if fitted to accomodate this scenario impoosible to tighten as the bolts are then on underside, clearly not right. Everything else was set up according to manual so I will pull the motor out and see if I can rotate it 180 refit (idiot you can’t do that...)and hopefully this will fix the little problem that gave me massive shits for about 3 hours today : )

Convinced I have a wiring problem and the motor casing is getting hotter than hell testing wires!
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 14th December 2017 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Raving

Hi Guys,

The manual might be referring to Left Hand Drive cars...........Thats the only difference between the two drives, LHD park on the other side. So the assembly instruction may be incorrect for us?

OR

You could change the steering to the Left Hand Side, and then the wipers will be correct for LHD? (ROFLOL)

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    We Had:

BTW,

Chris's engine was the standard ID engine till mid '69, and is based in the long stroke engine head.

Greg
    We Have:
    We Had:

looking at photo of when I removed the motor the arm to the spindle was 180’ around so that explains that bit, you want the arms rotated fully out when reassembling, manual of course IS for LHD so that needs to be taken into account if you want the wiper to start on drivers side. Now to check the wonky wiring, I did some online study and it appears the order for wires is red black blue, mine which worked before is red blue black, checked old reference photos I took but still it behaves badly like getting really hot so something is all wrong!

Hello, do you have this type of wiper motor?

Blue is slow, red is fast, white is parking, I think the black supplies power for parking

Have you taken the cover off to check the sliding contacts are OK?

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Have a look at this engine bay. . . What's unusual?

I'm going to show my lack of knowledge. . .
    Is this a 3 bearing motor with a late model head? The car is a DS19 1968 - LHM 3rd nose - I can't say I've ever noticed or known this set-up

DS 19 1968 BVH SABLE MÉTAL. RÉVISION MÉCANIQUE 03. | Citrothello

Flame suit on

Cheers
    Chris
    I've picked up one of those heads from David Cavanagh in the past as I thought it was a 3bearing head. I'm pretty sure to tell them apart ... check for evenly spaced plug holes == short stroke.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Peter yes took cover off, gave it a blast of electrical cleaner, I have this version-
    the screws on cover are fun putting back in. My replacement Christian Fahrig loom has connections for the five wires, going to try out the 180 turn on the arms and flip the blue and black connections to see if it behaves this afternoon. ��!
    quick DS quiz-0569b88a-87f5-49ff-8119-c18de9d02cf1.jpg. post mortem do not follow factory manual instructions for installation as the wiper arm needs to be rotated fully to the other side to swing correctly from right to left!
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 16th December 2017 at 11:33 AM.

Quick quiz! My tachometer on D not worky! But why?

The tachometer reads pulses from the coil, have a look and see if there are any loose / broken wires in that area. From memory it should connect to the screw post that doesn't have the big resistor on it. The other end of the wire should appear at pin E on the yellow connector at the back of the instruments. for the rest of the pinout have a look here https://citroenclassics.wordpress.co...l-connections/

thanks Faulksy fortunately this was a no brainer as I just studied wiring and discovered I had dedicated a lead to that pesky thermostat in the head whereas it IS the wire to the tacho. Ha ha. Ferg. Need to add a wire for temp gauge....
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 18th January 2018 at 10:06 PM.

A mate in Brissy is reassembling his 23 and asked me where the packing rubbers go round the fuel tank, I think there are four big and two small, but I can’t remember what goes where, big at the back and small on the front? Two big on front and rear and small on side?

I figured it would be easier to ask here then tear off the cover of mine to check!

Any suggestions I can relay ro him?

another quick quiz! I have a thermostat on the water pump on the DSpecial, it runs to the dash on a blue sleeve wire. I fitted the extra thermostat to the head, lives under intake manifold. Using the manual I readit astapping into the green fuse then coming out to the dash water temp gauge via the yellow plug connection. OR. can you just run a lead straight to the yellow pin plug?

In the manual the mod is for a waterpump thermostat addition so was there a point when their was no warning light on the stop dial to start with. Bit confused here!

quick DS quiz-9ad62fb1-8470-4177-b82d-7153ab35dc10.jpg

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    In the manual the mod is for a waterpump thermostat addition so was there a point when their was no warning light on the stop dial to start with. Bit confused here!
    I think you have confused me too

Original fitment for your Special is a temp warning light in the dash, the sender is on the intake side of the head.
    Thermo switch for temperature warning light

You are showing the op. for adding an optional temp gauge - provision for the sender is on the waterpump housing.

I guess the direct answer to your question is no, but I'm not exactly sure what the question is

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

aha so the blue temp wire went straight to the head, question is does the add on gauge wire need to tap int the fuse or just straight through to the gauge? I’m trying to sort out wiring gremlins, my latest pain in the butt is the clamp onto the flexible pipe/downpipe, the bracket I bought seems to not want to go anywhere close to allowing bolt up onto sump bracket, mine has a vertical adjustment space and evey other one I’ve seen advertised online has a horizontal hole. Spent hours trying to fit it and pulled half the exhaust apart to sort, then gave up for time being.
    quick DS quiz-e96d6581-11ad-46b7-bc39-df470aa42edb.jpg

Looks like the clamp for a single pipe exhaust. . .

You need this one (I have one if you are in a hurry, but I would need a like for like replacement)
    Clamp for front of flexi pipe also connects to engine bracket

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information