• Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By robmac
  • 1 Post By David S
  • 1 Post By dcc236

Thread: Is XP required for Lexia?

Fellow Frogger!

Default Is XP required for Lexia?

My diagnostic notebook PC - an old Acer machine that I use exclusively for all my car diagnostic tools - Alfa, Opel, Citroen/Pug and Audi/VW has died, no matter what I do it will not start up.

Does Lexia have to be installed on XP? My copy is at least 2 years old but the only other machines I now have are Windows 10 and 7.

Advertisement

Do I need to go out and find an old XP notebook?

Feedback on this site suggests that a 32bit operating system is needed. IE Win XP.

If you have 32 bit version of Win7 it would be worth trying that. Then others would know if it works.

AFAIK it is incompatible with 64 bit OSs. Ie Win7 64, Win 8/8.1 or Win 10.

And many find it difficult in the extreme to install and get it working properly.

I wish you good luck.
    jaahn likes this.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

1000+ Posts

Hi dcc236
    I believe it will not run on 64 bit systems direct. So you can get another old laptop if you can find one, getting hard to find now.
    I believe you can run a program in 64 bit systems that is a virtual 32 bit system, but that is outside my experience. Other may know more on this.
    I have some old discs with diagnostics for various stuff on them but I cannot use any of them now. So am a bit interested.
    Jaahn
    PS have you tried a Mr Bean jump start on the laptop

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi dcc236
    I believe it will not run on 64 bit systems direct. So you can get another old laptop if you can find one, getting hard to find now.
    I believe you can run a program in 64 bit systems that is a virtual 32 bit system, but that is outside my experience. Other may know more on this.
    I have some old discs with diagnostics for various stuff on them but I cannot use any of them now. So am a bit interested.
    Jaahn
    PS have you tried a Mr Bean jump start on the laptop
    Virtualization is the way to go if you wish/need to run outdated operating systems on any of 64 bit Windows modern operating systems.

Jaahn,

Read up on Vmware (recommended) and Windows virtual machine (a real dog Imo).

It's a big learning curve but not all that complicated once you have a solid grasp of concepts. Both programs are free for non commercial use.

I have DOS 6.22, Windows 98se, Windows Xp, Linux Mint and second copy of Window 7/64 able to be run virtualized by VMware on my Win7/64 machine.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Fellow Frogger

Diagbox (now up to V9) requires 32 bit Win 7 from what I understand.
    64 bit Win7 is no good and you need to reinstall as 32 bit if you want it as the native OS.
    Lexia is older, so would also be 32 bit. I don't know if is happy on 32bit Win 7, but possibly. Otherwise XP is known to work.
    Greg likes this.

I have got Diagbox 7.56 working on Win 7 32 bit OK and on a machine running Win XP SP3 32 bit.

I also have SEDRE working on Win10 64 bit using IE11. The parts diagram app is still a bit of a mystery for me as yet but I am working on it. I am fighting lots of dual layer DVD+Rs that go into very slow read mode between 40% and 70% in an iso conversion read.

Cheers, Ken
    Last edited by Ken W; 29th November 2017 at 08:04 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks guys. I thought I would never have to play with XP ever again. I spent the arvo fixing the laptop, turned out to be a faulty memory module and then reloading and installing XP and then Lexia. All good now. Don't want to have to do that again though.
    jaahn likes this.

Mine runs on a 32bit version of Win 7 - on a 2009 MacBook.
    Regards,

Simon

2014 208 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Hi Ken, what is SEDRE?

Quote Originally Posted by dcc236 View Post
    Thanks guys. I thought I would never have to play with XP ever again. I spent the arvo fixing the laptop, turned out to be a faulty memory module and then reloading and installing XP and then Lexia. All good now. Don't want to have to do that again though.
    Hi dcc, I used VM ware on a Windows 7 laptop, and got diagbox running in virtual XP mode, but had difficulty getting the laptop to connect to the cars computer. So I bought a dinosaur XP comp. to keep just for running the lexia / diagbox . Still had the same problems connecting to the car. It's just an old outdated dog of a program, and a hacked one also. ( Using the provided software) It always seems to take 3 or 4 goes to get it talking to my C5. So it turns out I could have just kept using the VM ware version, as it all ran properly on my computer ( my old windows 7 one), I have never tried the VMware program on windows 10, but there is no reason why it should not operate on windows 10.
    The LEXIA and diagbox software is just so antique it's like using the tip of a long fishing rod to paint the Sydney Harbour Bridge. It could be done, but you wonder why you are doing it. I won't miss it if I ever get a non Citroen.

1000+ Posts

There is an alternative, PSA-COM not cheap for a legit copy with the hardware, (I have spotted possible pirates). PSA-COM: Peugeot/Citroen professional diagnostic scantool Check the user manual to see if it suits.

PSA_COM.exe is also to be found on Sourceforge. No manual. I don't know anything about it.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th View Post
    Hi dcc, I used VM ware on a Windows 7 laptop, and got diagbox running in virtual XP mode, but had difficulty getting the laptop to connect to the cars computer. So I bought a dinosaur XP comp. to keep just for running the lexia / diagbox . Still had the same problems connecting to the car. It's just an old outdated dog of a program, and a hacked one also. ( Using the provided software) It always seems to take 3 or 4 goes to get it talking to my C5. So it turns out I could have just kept using the VM ware version, as it all ran properly on my computer ( my old windows 7 one), I have never tried the VMware program on windows 10, but there is no reason why it should not operate on windows 10.
    The LEXIA and diagbox software is just so antique it's like using the tip of a long fishing rod to paint the Sydney Harbour Bridge. It could be done, but you wonder why you are doing it. I won't miss it if I ever get a non Citroen.

I have and am using an old 32 bit Acer machine that I bought new about 15 years ago. Lexia works perfectly on it. I have never had a problem connecting to any of our Citroen's or Peugeot's.

The machine is dedicated to running vehicle diagnostics - alfa, vw/audi, Opel, PSA, etc

Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th View Post
    Hi Ken, what is SEDRE?
    Hi George,

SEDRE is the electrical circuit diagram package for later model cars. Mine seems to go back to Series II Xantia and Xsara but has cars up to 2013. It uses SVG graphics in a web browser to display the circuits.

More to come

Cheers, Ken

Hi Ken,

I had Citroen Service Box running on our old XP computer, and our XP laptop. Unfortunately the desk top computer died, and the lap top is up at European Autos (Denton), as it also had an earlier version of Diagbox, and earlier versions let you do things that later updates don't.

I've bought multiple newer versions of Service Box / Sedre, and have not been able to get them to load. I missed them terribly. Where did you get you discs from?

I don't mind paying Citroen to go online for the info, but it would be good to have back.

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Hi Greg,

The set I originally bought came from an ebay seller and I came by another set from easydiagnostics in the UK a year ago. All the Dual layer DVDs now will not read the whole way though at full speed on a series of DVD and Bluray burners although I seem to be able to make iso copies even if it takes a few days.

I have had more success with my older set of DVDs but it does take quite a while to install ( there seems to be a long pause before the database starts to install off both DVDs) then to load when started due to the client server approach they use.

What problems have you had during installation?

Cheers, Ken

Found an interesting Diagbox Changelog here, listing changes from 6.39 up to 8.16.....

https://frenchcarforum.co.uk/wiki/in..._6.39/7.06_On)

Cheers

Justin
    '07 Megane R26
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308 XSE Touring
    '10 308 Sportium Touring

Thread Information