• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By brian woodcock

Thread: Tightening DS cylinder head bolts

Fellow Frogger!

Default Tightening DS cylinder head bolts

Hi
    What's the received wisdom on how tight to tighten DS cylinder head bolts? Manual says 60Nm to 65Nm. I've taken mine gradually up to 50Nm, but I'm worried about over tightening them and cracking the block. It's the bolts on the exhaust side that are most at risk I believe.

I've been advised previously to only torque (some or all?) to about 75%. So that could be as low as 45Nm. If I did that I'd be worrying about gasket failure!

Any advice please?

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Budge,I;ve always done mine to 60nm and never had any problems. Also I always use some anti-seize compound as those on the ex side have a tendency to seize up.(I've done at least 20). Also check after 1000km or so.
    Woody
    forumnoreason likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by brian woodcock View Post
    Hi Budge,I;ve always done mine to 60nm and never had any problems. Also I always use some anti-seize compound as those on the ex side have a tendency to seize up.(I've done at least 20). Also check after 1000km or so.
    Woody
    Hi, stick to the manual values, after replacing a head gasket.Retighten after
    1000km but first loosen each bolt 1/4 turn
    in sequence and than torque to 60nm.
    The meaning of this is to crack the bolt
    from being sticky and avoiding false torque values. Do this for each bolt in turn loosen and torque one by one.
    Good luck
    Cheers Keith

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Guys. I will do a final tighten (in sequence) to 60Nm tonight. I put a light smear of engine oil on the end of each one before inserting. I'll make myself a list of things to do - including loosening and retightening when running-in.

Thread Information