C2 sensodrive diagnosis
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By David S

Thread: C2 sensodrive diagnosis

Fellow Frogger!

Default C2 sensodrive diagnosis

So the deminutive C2 went to Canberra Citroen dealer today for a scan. Definitely the motoring equivalent of an MRI. Came back with clutch actuator fault. This I found hard to swallow since car works fine in manual. Just not in auto. Same hardware different inputs. So they immediately recommend replacing the clutch actuator $1k AND the gearbox wiring harness for another $1k plus labour at $450. I thought labour quite reasonable. However, the chap was very keen to push getting the wiring harness done too, citing that on previous similar repair occasions the repair hasn't worked without the wiring replacement..I can see that the connectors can get loose ,. But surely that may be the actual cause of the fault mis sending signals to the actuator and back to the gearbox ECU. And as a result coming back as as actuator error. As advanced as electronics may be, it's not feasible that poor connections can be identified by the system. Instead comes back as first readable link in the chain. Have to say great service from the local Citroen dealer but I think they don't know what they don't know. The amazing thing was service manager suggested me sourcing my own parts. So props to them in that regard. So lesson from this. Get the diagnosis and meld that with some common sense. Obviously I'm not spending $2500 on a $4k car but I think the wiring loom clue may have been worth the visit to dealer. Not for the $99 scan but the extra info that the repair usually only works if the wiring is replaced too in addition to the "faulty" actuator..

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger

Any sensodrive experts? Mechanic recommendations??
    The final post may be of particular interest.
    SLC206 likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Chapter 2. Fault codes and their origins aside, the service guy also said they had updated the software.. Great I thought .. Not so. The car is now a non starter.. Snowflake and no gear being displayed on read out. This was historically fixed by disconnecting battery and waiting a while. Not so anymore. Workshop is telling me that's down to the actuator problem and the fresher software is being more strict about things. Not their words. Turns out nice guy hasn't been there long and really has no experience..and the parts guy who has "been there forever" wasn't the most patient guy, and when challenged about details washes over things with vague responses. One of which was that they've only "done a handful of these" seemingly contradictory to statement s alluding to expertise and experience. Asking what usually fails with the harness he points to the PSA fault code remedy stating that if another particular code is also present then the harness should be replaced. This other code was NOT present..He then kinda mumbled a dismissal and I realised I wasn't going to get very far with him. What was for sure was that they were not going to try to help any further without going ahead with the job. Time for a tow home me thinks..

Fellow Frogger!

When I asked service manager if there was someone they could call to get some info. "computer says no!!" And apparently it was all too difficult to plug in the diagnostic Lexia again.

Fellow Frogger

From memory, there is some difference in the actuator vs harness terminal plating and mixing the two types is not desirable. They do break or wear out internally, but it may have some carbon debris in the motor and need lubrication. Has it been creaking in use for a long time? I guess so. You may get away with a knowledgeable mechanic dismantling, cleaning and lubricating the actuators.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for that David.
    Sorry for hijacking poll position on the Cit forum. Buuuuutttt...
    Chapter 3. Went to Citroen today to ensure the C2 is not stuck in gear and thus will roll.. Ordered a tow truck for tomorrow..Time to settle up the account. Much to my delight I was only billed for the Scan. $99. I was fully expecting to be charged for the software update, and battery charge. So again props to the Citroen dealer service dept..Think I may have sourced an actuator and harness but may not need them if I can experiment with and cleanup my existing ones.
    Current actuator never did creak but will decarbon it and have a close look at all the connectors.

Fellow Frogger!

BTW David I had already encountered that thread to which you linked. And yes the last post is right up my alley. Can do and will do.. its keeping old French cars working on the cheap 101..

Fellow Frogger!

First thing I would try is disconnect all plugs and terminals in the harness, give the contacts a squirt of this stuff, and reassemble. It is fantastic at cleaning up dodgy contacts, unreliable switches and so on.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/contact-cl...y-can/p/NA1012

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Simca1100. I'll add that to the mix..Secured a fresh actuator from APC.. Great price great professional service. Highly recommend. I'll pull and play with my actuator and see why it's "open circuit"..But in mean while instal low ks crashed car actuator..

Thread Information