1974 DS23 air duct cloth section
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 1974 DS23 air duct cloth section

The cloth section of the air duct on my 1974 DS23 has seen better days. Most recently, the stitching which attaches the zipper (nice hefty original!) to the main body of the duct gave way.

I am aware that the 'D' parts suppliers stock this part (in various configurations); however, it strikes me that a competent motor trimmer should also be capable of making one.

Advertisement

Having said that, hopefully the ready made versions reflect knowledge of any idiosyncrasies which might exist with this part. If taking the 'off the shelf' option, is it worth the extra expense to buy one supplied with the metal frame?

Any suggestions as to the best option?

Chris

Fellow Frogger!

They clean up quite well so, if it is is just pulled stitching and there are no tears, a good trimmer should be able to re-sew the zip. you can clean it up yourself then.

I can't speak from user experience, and there might be different suppliers of these, but the repro ones I've seen aren't as heavy duty as the original ones - the grey vinyl/ fabric looks quite thin. They will still do the same job of course, but i don't know how long they last. I think the fabric part is stapled to the frame. so if you are not confident at re-fitting this, then buying one with a frame is the easy (if not cheap) option.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks, Budge.

From the photos I've seen (of the product currently offered) - and the way the fabric folds - I'm not surprised at your comment that "the grey vinyl/ fabric looks quite thin".

We've got some heavy needles and thread; I think I'll patch mine up as it's not too bad.

Thread Information