My new Xantia CT - Page 5
  • Register
  • Help
Page 5 of 5 First 12345
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: My new Xantia CT

Cam,

Your car will need the 30 pin connector as used on series 1 Xantias and XMs. It does not work with an ODB connector or reader. Even though Series 2 Xantias have an OBD style connector, they still will not work with the OBD standard readers until the release of the C5.

Your only choice is a lexia or diagbox PC based system with the 30 pin to OBD interface cable.

Advertisement

Cheers, Ken
    Armidillo likes this.

Thanks Ken. Not sure why I didnt see this and respond. Ill keep that in mind when I purchase one. I almost got one from a guy with the PC and his PC died before I picked it up...

Ive had a few issues... and a few potential successes!

Ive recently replaced the radiator ( fairly straight forward actually.. ) and now that its not leaking ( holding pressure ) the rest of the system is now going to have to hold up...which its not...

Arriving up at the mechanics yesterday we opened the bonnet to a very swollen top rad hose. Upon looking into the bay deeper BANG! Another hose running from the Tstat housing to the heater core let go with no warning. Covered in hot coolant is not the best experience.

Ive put a request in from my legendary parts guy in the UK to source the 2 offending hoses and he is scared that they are NLA but lets see.. I think I may even attempt to replace the heater core before it lets go also...Or just bypass it?

Ive been testing a theory on here that I think Gary or Ken or John suggested. As you all know Im having issues with the rear electrovalve. The suggestion was to drive the car in the 'sport' mode which makes the electrovalve turn on and off more often due to changing the threshold ( lowering it ) that activates that hard mode ( from soft ). Almost exercising it.. In doing this the car actually rides better when it clicks open and is incredibly smooth. It then goes back to its old habits for a few minutes and then soft again pointing to a weak electrovalve.

SO, after more and more reading ( ive still not got a lexia, its on the list ) I pulled out the electrovalve and stretched the small spring to give it more force to stay open once the initial 12v spike opens it from the ECU. Im yet to drive the car ( thanks to the coolant hoses ) so cannot be sure that has solved it. I must add that when the valve is open the ride height is spot on and the car rides faultlessly without lifting up at the back. If I gun it and hammer through the gears it will lift up and carry on but will soon settle once the valve opens again. Fingers crossed this simple solution ( which makes sense right? ) will solve it. I had 2 electrovalves to look at and the one that works better has more spring in the spring which confirms my research is right. A lot of the UK guys have done this easy mod with great success. I stretched it 50% more than the original length.

Ive also manage to find a new octopus which is getting replaced at the moment. Fingers crossed this will cure the air getting in the system and I will have smooth steering again. There is a small split in a couple of the pipes.

Next on the list is a clutch and rear main seal. Its either leaking LHM or engine oil onto the clutch and now that Ive added 50hp and shed loads more torque its really struggling. So fresh clutch soon and she should be right!

Ive also got a brake valve seal coming as Im sure that will give up soon and leak LHM into the foot well..

Anyone want to help with the dash out heater core replacement!? Ill cook a mean breakfast, lunch, dinner for the effort, time required!
    JohnW likes this.

Cam,

When you buy a heater core try to get some assurance that the pressure rating and quality are better than the original unit. I replaced a leaky one in my 1997 Xantia and the replacement was as bad as the one I took out. Also, it can be difficult to extract the heater hose connector on the firewall and there is a fair chance it will snap somewhere. You might need to see if you can get a replacement hose and connector set but I think they have been NLA for a few years now.

Cheers, Ken

Thanks Ken

Im dreading the heater core situation. I can see that there would be a high chance of the hose snapping off the connector etc.

Maybe its time to invest in an electric type heater I can plum into the fan somehow and just bypass the heater all together!

Cam

OK. Both hoses have been located and were very well priced. Very lucky

Should be here in a week or two.

Cam

Fellow Frogger

If you really want a permanent fix for the heater, make up a core in copper and brass with pipes you can slip a hose onto. Delete the stupid clip on fitting at the scuttle, which is where it usually fails rather than the heater core. Heater cores can leak and that can be a pinhole in the aluminium core or a weeping seal for a plastic end tank. The plastic end tanks won't last forever, so it's really only a matter of time. Most cars go to scrap first though.

Fellow Frogger!

When replacing the clutch, if bleeding the hydraulic clutch actuator, ours required brake fluid (not LHM). Ask me how I know. Best do your own check on that.
    Also the clutch is a "pull type".

Thanks for the heads up on the clutch. I was aware that it used brake fluid. Apparently they can be a fiddle to get the pull mechanism to click into place.

Ive managed to get a clutch out of the UK OE from Peugeot for 100 pounds which Im very happy about. Theres a few more if anyone else wants one?

Fellow Frogger!

I probably shouldn't be reading this thread... Fills me a) worry and b) making me want a turbo...
    The xantia I'm checking out on Saturday apparently has had everything done, including heater core, strut tops, clutch etc. All it will need is new rear spheres in about 2-3 years. Crossing my fingers
    JohnW likes this.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cam85 View Post

Ive recently replaced the radiator ( fairly straight forward actually.. ) and now that its not leaking ( holding pressure ) the rest of the system is now going to have to hold up...which its not...

Arriving up at the mechanics yesterday we opened the bonnet to a very swollen top rad hose. Upon looking into the bay deeper BANG! Another hose running from the Tstat housing to the heater core let go with no warning. Covered in hot coolant is not the best experience.

Is it time to re-check the engine compression, and check for bubbles in the coolant? Your problems MAY just be down to old rubber, but to get 2 hose problems together like that sounds a bit suss to me...

Cheers

Alec

Sounds like a good one. Go get it! And then come past my place and show me!

Currently having the Octopus and a few other return lines replaced. There were a few little cracks all over the place so just as well!

Turns out the cam we put in the car has had some issues so a 'custom' grind from Peter T is being brewed up on a fresh billet. A little less overlap should do the trick nicely.

Coolant pipes and clutch still in the air somewhere from the UK. Looking forward to enjoying it some more. Something tells me its going to throw a few more toys out of the pram sometime soon. If the suspension works as it should I will be a happy camper, other things can be sorted out if the suspension works well!

Gearbox is on the floor
    Clutch out, totally stuffed
    Flywheel machined ready to refit!

All return hoses are on last legs and it turns out Ive bought the wrong hoses to replace them with. Well, almost. I can use most of the new octopus but will need to add some bits in.

Ive read a few articles where people are using 'regular' hoses. What are the tried and tested methods or more to the point what type of hoses and T sections are people having sucess with?

Now would be the time to replace things while I have good access.

Was not much harder than a 205, just more 'stuff' in the way.

Another big thanks to AF and other forums that have helped enormously.

The refabrication of return hoses is somewhere on French car forum UK, there is French site which they have referenced, the guy used metal joiners all over as opposed to plastic which others have used, not sure where all this but xantia return hose google will get you closer. For those radiator hoses what about looking at Peugeot 406 or 605 parts? Same engines XU....

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    The refabrication of return hoses is somewhere on French car forum UK, there is French site which they have referenced, the guy used metal joiners all over as opposed to plastic which others have used, not sure where all this but xantia return hose google will get you closer. For those radiator hoses what about looking at Peugeot 406 or 605 parts? Same engines XU....
    A link in the 'Citroen Excellent threads' sticky. . .
    The Thread of excellent threads!

Cheers
    Chris
    forumnoreason likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Cam,

Been there too. I only had to take the gearbox off again once. Check this thread.

Xantia CT turbo Activa Clutch Replacement Dramas

Cheers, Ken

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by cam85 View Post
    ... I can use most of the new octopus but will need to add some bits in.

Ive read a few articles where people are using 'regular' hoses. What are the tried and tested methods or more to the point what type of hoses and T sections are people having sucess with?
    There are so many version of the various return lines, you really want to try to find the correct one via VIN. I do know of someone with quite an assortment and they probably need liberating, but no doubt they will be for oddball and extinct versions, so need mods like your efforts. pm the VIN and I will try to check if you like.

If you are going to make up your own, brass fittings and transmission / oil hose are probably the best choice. Avoid heater hose as it's usually EPDM and that is not tolerant of oil in the longer term as I found with a PO's DIY return line in an XM (the DOT4 infusion car). Plastic irrigation fittings may be handy and they can last OK. I have a car where someone fitted an irrigation tap from Bunnings as a heater hose shutoff and it's been fine for over a decade now.

Also look at the rack and change the rubber boot on the cabin side of the brake valve while you have good access.

Thanks again guys

David, a PM is on its way. Thank you for the array of part numbers!

Clutch is in and gearbox back on. Was a fiddle to get it up and on. How you guys did this by your selves is beyond me! Once fitted up I put my fingers in the box to grab the fork and got the click from the throw out bearing. The clutch is now so light it almost feels like its not there!

Now onto the return hoses. Ive offered up the octopus I have and theres 2 parts missing. 1 is the powersteer line and 2 is for the 4th sphere at the front. I chopped off the power steer section that was already in situ and will mate it onto the new hose with a joiner. Looks like it would have been a nightmare job to fit so Im kinda happy with that. The other hose that needs a T section to go to the 4th sphere should work out ok. Ive pulled out the plastic joiner from the original loom and will just cut and shut that in as I dont see the need to use any fancy joining equipment.

What a mission of a job. I want to complain about the terrible design of everythig...but I wont!

So close now, just waiting on a new camshaft and fitting all the pipes up and she should be good to go!

I replaced a steering return and it was unbelievably difficult with a motor in the way! total barstood of a job. one of those where you have your tongue on your lip sweat dripping about to explode in frustration tasks. Got it on WITH a clip after about 40 goes.

Ok guys

Return lines are in and look good. Who knows if they leak though!! Car will be going sometime next week so will have to wait for that.

Managed to find some coolent hoses from another car being wrecked. Ive started to make a hose from various hoses to put in when they go bang also...There are none available as far as I have searched and will be the thing that really keeps these cars from staying on the road. Very sad.

Im waiting for some lunch then its back to it. Driveshafts back in, subframe back up, check and recheck here and there. Once all back together its just waiting for the cam to arrive and bingo!

My lexia tools shohld arrive this week also and fingers crossed I can have it tuned and ready for some enjoyment!
    Motorgnome likes this.

Page 5 of 5 First 12345

Thread Information