Oil Dipstick length for CitroŽn C4 Grand Picasso Diesel HDi16?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Oil Dipstick length for CitroŽn C4 Grand Picasso Diesel HDi16?

Have a 2013 CitroŽn C4 Grand Picasso 2 litre Diesel HDi16 engine.

The plastic tip at the end of the oil dipstick has broken off, thus not allowing me to read the oil level. See photo of engine & dipstick.

A CitroŽn dealer in Brisbane has quoted me AUD$45 for a new dipstick - way too much markup IMHO

I can purchase one from https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...n+oil+dipstick in China for less than AUD$5 delivered, but I need to ensure that the length is correct.

Can someone who has this type of car/engine please send me the measurements of their dipstick in cm - from the "tube cap" (just above the "O-ring" seal) to the end tip ?

Oil Dipstick length for Citroën C4 Grand Picasso Diesel HDi16?-citro%EBn-c4-grand-picasso-diesel-hdi16-oil-dipstick-optimised-.jpg

Thanks & regards Ö

Advertisement

fww, mine looks in this light to be 625mm - approx - try again tomorrow.
    Oil Dipstick length for Citroën C4 Grand Picasso Diesel HDi16?-img_3090.jpg Oil Dipstick length for Citroën C4 Grand Picasso Diesel HDi16?-img_3088.jpg
    reminds me its 100k service is past due, so thank you - btw, how do these break?
    Last edited by fnqvmuch; 23rd October 2017 at 01:03 AM.
    grandC4picasso RHB, [email protected] , EGS6Sp, B58, MY 2012-2013 (?)

Your manufacturer will have been kind enough to tell you how much oil is required to "fill" the sump. When this amount is in the sump and the vehicle is on level ground you may engrave a mark on a piece of fencing wire at the height the oil reaches and it will be correct.....;-)

(After ensuring your oil filter is full and the engine is stopped.....)
    It's another lovely day! Again!

625 it is

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by fnqvmuch View Post
    fww, mine looks in this light to be 625mm - approx - try again tomorrow.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3090.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	100934 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3088.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	100933
    reminds me its 100k service is past due, so thank you - btw, how do these break?
    Thanks for the prompt response & great photos.

I'm told by Citroen service that they just break over time due to vibrations in the engine.

BTW: Looking at your 2nd photo it seems to be 615mm and not 625mm?

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Your manufacturer will have been kind enough to tell you how much oil is required to "fill" the sump. When this amount is in the sump and the vehicle is on level ground you may engrave a mark on a piece of fencing wire at the height the oil reaches and it will be correct.....;-)

(After ensuring your oil filter is full and the engine is stopped.....)
    No problem with finding the amount of oil to be used.

However, your suggestion of using "fencing wire" is great, and a typical example of "Aussie" ingenuity using what's at hand (don't know why I didn't think of that).

You must be a farmer :-) ???

good job i triple checked - you are right - certainly no longer than 615, maybe even 614.5. sorry and thanks for querying

1000+ Posts

I wonder about that dipstick tip floating around in the sump oil and bits of it blocking oil ways. Guess you could keep cutting open the oil filters as they are replaced and checking on the size of the bits that have been filtered out of the system.

Regards
    Ken

1000+ Posts

There's a lot of those tips sitting in the bottom of these sumps. Crap design. They can come out with an oil change. Removing the sump is a nasty job, with many hard to reach bolts. The factory sealant then acts as a glue, and you will have a hard time getting both the sump and the glue off and you will probably need to straighten the steel sump.

Fellow Frogger!

Plastic parts in general on modern cars are shite. Had a similar issue with my 505 dipstick, fortunately in that case was plastic at the top that disintegrated.
    More recently breather port on placcy intake hose fell off. In the past the placcy timing cover on my Audi split, bits of trim expired on all my cars. Mostly you cannot get a Ďnewí replacement & imho not worth getting a used part as theyíll be just as brittle as the broken bit. Araldite & loads of fibreglass mat is your friend here (dipsticks excepted) - not pretty but it holds stuff together.
    Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    may all your plans be cunning ones,
    Baldrick,

fleet: 1989 Peugeot 505 GTi Wagon
    1969 Peugeot 404 Sedan
    2003 Smart 452 Roadster
    2005 MG ZR160
    1953 Citroen 15CV (under Restoration)
    1953 Bristol 401 (under Restoration)

1000+ Posts

Give cullens of nambore a ring they have been peugeot agents for a long time and also have citroen now i believe ,the parts guys there are down to earth ,and may be able to sell you a peugeot one for half the price ,if i am after a dealer only part ,thats were i go, pugs

I'm still reasonably sure that a piece of 8 gauge fencing wire and some good quality masking tape to stop blow-by will last for years without any tips falling off and bits of plastic destroying your engine. I don't know why this discussion is continuing......
    It's another lovely day! Again!

Thread Information