C5 Not Starting
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By tasie C5
  • 2 Post By Dijon16

Thread: C5 Not Starting

Default C5 Not Starting

Hi, I have a 2008 C5 HDi16 sedan that will not engage the starter, seems to be plenty of battery power. I have tried a few different immobiliser resets without success, tried tapping starter motor and solenoid. For a while the glove box light would go out when trying the start, now there is no glove box light at all, for a while the window motors didn't work, now they do. Car has done 260,000k. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Advertisement

Tested the starter?

Sent from my SM-G930F using aussiefrogs mobile app
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Also try battery disconnect for 15-20mins and reconnect. Open drivers door window before you do. With battery now connected put key on ignition and turn on but dont start. Take key out and try central locking.

If doors lock and unlock attempt start if no go and no clicking heard the solenoid to starter is open circuit or disconnected.

Any errors reported on multi screen?

Has a jump start been attempted as may have a blown fuse check engine fuse box.

Anyone else 😕

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Default Clicking

Quote Originally Posted by dimistyle View Post
    Also try battery disconnect for 15-20mins and reconnect. Open drivers door window before you do. With battery now connected put key on ignition and turn on but dont start. Take key out and try central locking.

If doors lock and unlock attempt start if no go and no clicking heard the solenoid to starter is open circuit or disconnected.

Any errors reported on multi screen?

Has a jump start been attempted as may have a blown fuse check engine fuse box.

Anyone else 

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Do you mean solenoid clicking or relay clicking? I am getting "Service" on dash. I will try your suggestions tomorrow when I access to the car, thanks again.

Test your battery voltage. It should be at least 12.6 volts. If less, the battery may be no good. Any chance of you getting a jump starter or a new battery. It's so important to have a strong battery for all functions on these cars.
    dimistyle likes this.

Agreed strong battery always required.
    I was talking about solenoid clicking from starter.

Old thread I know, and for a different problem, but thought I would add my experience of a failed battery for future searches.

C5 HDi 2010, original Varta "L3" which is 70ah, 720 CCA. Worked perfectly one day, the next just click click. Measured 12.03v, after a brief charge it was 12.29, but still not progressing past a click. Plus all the usual lights, service, gearbox fault etc.

Had already done some preliminary research, wanted another Varta, they are avail online and at selected outlets, and Battery World.

The E38 was the closest match, 74/700, for around $300. The E39 (70/760) is for stop-start, anywhere from $400 to $500. They are the "silver" series.

The blue series is the E43 (72/680) around $250, and the E44 (74/780) at around 280-320 over the counter, or 255 online.

As car was immobile, I took the battery out, jumping it from another just to keep the memory. Went to local Battery World, who measured it at 10.8v, and diagnosed one failed cell.

Their E44 on the shelf was a whopping $390, at which I balked. He offered to match the E38 price, which was still $50 dearer than anywhere else, and eventually dropped to $340.

I was faced with the equation of ordering online and waiting a few days, or driving from the northern beaches to near the airport for instance, for a saving of $60 (which would be half eaten by tolls and fuel, and the other half by time).

Standing at the counter with the battery in front of me, and free disposal of the old one, I paid the $340 and installed it myself.

All good now.
    UFO and jaahn like this.

Thread Information