Heater Motor Resister
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Peter H

Thread: Heater Motor Resister

Tadpole

Default Heater Motor Resister

My Heater fan has stopped working, fuse is OK, I took out the Heater Motor Resister (6441L2) and it appears to have been pretty hot.
    I can get a replacement on E-bay for just under $200, or from China for about $18. has anyone used the cheapy or will I be wasting my money.
    Also I just can not see the stepper motors on the right hand side, I have replaced one on the left and that side seems OK now, but I just can't find the ones on the right?

Advertisement

Tadpole

If the resistor is getting hot it is probably all right and the fault may be elsewhere. They do become faulty where the wires are crimped to the terminals. Pretty hard to repair though. You can't solder it . Has to be crimped. Worth a try from China if they are that cheap
    If you do want to try a new one.
    Good luck.

1000+ Posts

Hi Peter
    You should tell us what car you have ! A 2CV or a D or a C5 ??
    Jaahn

Tadpole

Sorry all,
    I was so frustrated I forgot the basics '03 C5
    jaahn likes this.

1000+ Posts

Hi Peter
    Hmmm common problem. If you search in the {search and press enter} box up above you should find some other discussion on this problem. eg; C5 interior fan problem, or C5 fan controller, or C5 heater fan resistor, or similar words and see the threads it comes up with.
    As far as China goes there are Citroen factories in China.
    Good luck Jaahn

Hi Peter,

These boxes are not just a resistor these days, they are a whole box of electronics with maybe even a microprocessor in there that translate a fan speed voltage provided by the air-con controller into lots of current for the fan motor. So it has to deal with a lot of heat, motors getting stiff with age, brushes wearing out and arcing and stalls when leaves and twigs fall into them from above.

Check to see if you motor still works by putting 12 volts onto the wires going to it from the controller connector. If that sounds OK, get yourself a new controller and make sure all the connections are tight as at the current levels here, any looseness translates to a small resistance the then makes them get hot and burn out. Maybe you have some of those issues already.

Cheers, Ken

Hello Peter,

While not dealing with a C5, a few years ago I had similar problems with the fan resistor pack on a D8 406. I took the punt and bought a cheapie off eBay for $13-14 which worked well for a couple of months but then the fan started exhibiting the same problems with erratic airflow. I bought another cheapie which failed pretty much straight away. A sucker for a fool's errand, I bought a third which I'm pleased to say has been in the car for about 2 years now without fault.

Essentially, your milage may vary with the Chinese cheapies.
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _
    A very fun 1997 manual 406 ST
    A lovely 2006 407 HDi Executive

Fellow Frogger!

I bought one of the cheap ones out of Indonesia or the Philippines about 3 years ago and it is still working well. I had a problem fitting it, in that the black plastic end was not a fit but I was able to change it over for the original part without too much trouble.
    Allen.

Thread Information