• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By DoubleChevron
  • 1 Post By agd123

Thread: SM rear wheel change

Fellow Frogger!

Default SM rear wheel change

I have a dead & decrepit SM needing restoration, to do that I need to move it. One of the tyres no longer holds air, guess which one, rear which is far & away the worst to change. I managed with much effort to get the wheel off but could not get the spare on, even bought a slightly smaller tyre 205 65 15 as the previous person fitted larger tyres the originals.

Advertisement

Short of taking a tin opener to the rear mudguard, try as I might I can't get the wheel back in place, essential I am stuffed. Is there some trick/technique that I am missing?

HELP

agd123

Glad to hear you are starting to get the SM going for the 50th anniversary in 2020.

I presume you have the spat off on the relevant side.

You will need to get both sides of the back up in the air so that the rear wheels can hang down without any anti-roll bar interference. If you have good bump stops, you might need to find a bit of wood the right length to jam between the hub and the body to extend the arm down a bit more. Then put the wheel down under the hub and then lift it so the dish in the wheel fits over the hub until the tyre fits in past the side guard above. You may need to let some or all air out of the tyre so it fits past the side guard.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Ken

A flat tyre is easier to remove because the rear end doesnít need to be jacked up as far as for a fully inflated one. Then the problem is without hydraulic pressure and the suspension set on high, the rear hub is sitting too high underneath the rear wing.

If you jack the rear up some more so that itís right up in the air, then lay the wheel underneath the hub and lift it upwards while trying to jiggle the suspension arm down, itíll fit on ok. To make things easier you could always deflate the new tyre and then blow it up afterwards.
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

1000+ Posts

what if you jack up both sides and disconnect the torsion bar clamp on that side starting with the height control clamp? Mark where they fitted to do up again after? let any pressure out of the regulator accumulator first too? I would have thought the whole lot would drop. You might have to slacken the nut on the arm as well from memory. Otherwise you will have to wedge that arm down to get it into position like Ken says.

plus the no brainer check hand brake on and in gear if jacking!
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 16th October 2017 at 09:55 PM.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Don't bugger the car up. Ring your local hotrod club and find what tilt tray guy they use to move there hotrods. He will have a very low angle tilt tray truck. It will move your SM without damage easily. Then you can fix/repair the car at home where you have access to your tools. starting the thing and getting it running would be a great way of lifting the back of the car up

If the car has a towbar, just put a trolley jack under this and lift the back up. Another option is an exhaust jack under the rear sills (it will spread out it's load and not damage anything .... and fit under a dead car).

Please be aware ... You will need to lift BOTH SIDES of the rear of the car... ie: the entire back of the car off the ground. If you just try to lift one corner, the anti-rollbar will hold the wheel up in the guard preventing access.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    JohnW and Jinandfonic like this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Would a plywood disc slide up into place? Used a lot on race cars to set the suspension.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks to all who gave me ideas & advice, have finally got the wheel back on (with much heaving & straining). The problem was essentially that I did not have the car high enough to get the wheel into the arch then to bolt it in place.

Regards to all

agd123
    forumnoreason likes this.

Thread Information