2005 C5 estate Hydraulic LDS fluid change attempt at home
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 2005 C5 estate Hydraulic LDS fluid change attempt at home

I need to replace leaking return line hydraulic hose in the real suspention and decided to drain and replace LDS fluid at the same time

I am familiar with procedure and have most tools for this job, I need to do it at home as I can not find mechanic to do it for me in time for my coming 2000km trip.

Can someone give me some tips please?

Can this job be done without a hoist?

When car is lowered and depressurised it sits almost on the ground.
    I need to change return hose first before taking wheel off and arch mould off to get to the tank to drain and replace LDS

Car sit to low for jack to fit under

Advertisement

Can this procedure to be complete using 2 ramps on the back?

Also will I need brake bleeder tool which I do not have to pressurise the tank to 0.5bar as per instruction?
    When I depressurised system with Lexia to check LDS level I did not use pressure tool to bring car to level it seems it self bleed at the time I started the engine and lit to drive position
    Thanks Michael

1000+ Posts

Hi Michael
    I might say why bother ? but some people feel the need. I would just suck out the fluid from the reservoir as best you can and make do with that. There is not any high temperatures or much wear particles etc in the system so why does it need changing !
    It must be said that you must be extremely careful working on the height system. Use stands etc to avoid the possibility of the car descending and trapping any part of you. As you noted the car allmost sits on the ground on low. If you cannot figure out a safe way DO NOT DO IT.
    When I topped up mine afer some leaking I never pressurised the system. If you check the level at top height then it will pressurise it as it goes to normal height. Do not over fill it or the tank may split.
    good luck Jaahn

Tadpole

Thanks for your post
    I wanted to change LDS beacuse in 12 years and 250000km it never was touched by now some has liked out from return hoses.

Manual say:
    Hydraulic system, power steering/levelling
    Capacity 4.3 litre
    Service intervals Change: 200000 km / 60 months
    Check: 20000 km / 24 months

It took little over 3l of LDS to fill fully drained tank
    Job now is done as per instructions in bellow pictures

[img]1.jpg[/img]

[img]2.jpg[/img]

[img]3.jpg[/img]

[img]4.jpg[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2005 C5 estate Hydraulic LDS fluid change attempt at home-4.jpg   2005 C5 estate Hydraulic LDS fluid change attempt at home-3.jpg   2005 C5 estate Hydraulic LDS fluid change attempt at home-1.jpg   2005 C5 estate Hydraulic LDS fluid change attempt at home-2.jpg  

Well done. Sounds like you have yourself well set up there. I am up at Noosa fairly regularly at present. We will have to meet sometime.

Cheers, Ken

Thread Information