Auto and OBD
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Auto and OBD

Tadpole

Default Auto and OBD

Hi again

Can someone assist on checking and draining auto on 2004 C5 Citroen 5 door hatch 6 cylinder

and can you tell me on the computer plug what OBD it is as OBDII don't work in it is their any others

Thank You
    Rex

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Hi Rex
    I believe that auto is a Jatco 6 speed. I have not had one of those so will leave it to those who have.

The OBD port is actually EOBD which is the European standard, BUT it will only give the minimum code outputs and cancellation function using this standard. Most better code readers will give restricted access to it.

For full functionality and access to the "whole bit" you need to use the Citroen/Peugeot system called Diabox (or Lexia previously) which the dealers use and is available as cheaper clones. Not recommended for the faint hearted or computer dummies. What do you need to do with it ?

Checking and changing the oil only is easy IF THERE ARE NO SIGNIFICANT LEAKS. Look around it at the seals etc and flywheel bellhousing and if there is none outside the box it is still in there unless someone has cleaned it. Some small weeping is normal as the mileage adds up but as long as it is not dripping it will be OK. Just catch the oil out and measure its volume at room temperature, then add that same amount of new oil. I just use an oil container with a transparent strip and a texta mark. Not particularly critical. The correct factory way is prone to doing it incorrectly if you do not follow all the steps. Suggest Penrite FS multi as a good reasonable price oil.
    Cheers Jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 9th October 2017 at 12:42 PM.

Tadpole

Hi Jaahn
    You have answered all my questions thank you very much
    Rex

Hi Rex,
    Jaahn may well be correct in saying it is a 6 speed JATCO Auto hut both my late 2004 V6's are fitted with ZF 4HP20 4 speed Autos the ZF has a label on top near the gearbox ECU clearly identifying it as a ZF.

The 6 speed autos normally have a label on the outer end, you might need a mirror to see it.

If you google either one you should be able to download the correct procedure but do ensure you use the correct fluid which is from memory a fully synthetic type don't be tempted by an Auto shop saying Dexron is OK.

1000+ Posts

ZF 4HP20 surely?

1000+ Posts

Hi I would stand corrected by anyone who knows
    Jaahn
    Would anyone that really knows like to list the transmissions and engines for the various models of C5s.
    Last edited by jaahn; 12th October 2017 at 12:38 PM.

Thread Information