• Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Ken W
  • 1 Post By JBN

Thread: xantia L.H.M fluid .

Tadpole

Default xantia L.H.M fluid .

h guys
    took my 2001 xantia deisel for warrant of fittness other day and that was all good
    but mechanic said he had it jacked up and when he let it down the lid popped
    off L.H.M tank not sure but is this trying to tell me something any thoughts
    be great thanks.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

sounds like it simply had too much in the resevoir? Check the level on high setting and see where the fluid level is. More importantly what colour is it? nice green or yellowish or worse? Filter should be flushed if you haven't done it for a long time BUT beware removing the canister as those return hoses are notorious for disintegrating when meddled with. Prise the filter canister out oh so gently if you plan on cleaning filter. If the fluid is bright green I wouldn't bother.

if there is too much fluid then the biggest syringe a chemist sells can be employed for extracting excess : )
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 8th October 2017 at 05:20 PM.

I've done exactly that overfilling trick on the CX I must admit. Did I feel stupid? Oh, yes.

Did the reservoir overflow? Oh yes.

Did it make a mess? Oh, yes.

Our Xantia never had a leak and hardly ever needed LHM except after the odd sphere failure and after changing them. The fluid was changed from time to time but always stayed nice and green.

Let's hope that was your cause.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Hi Kevie,

I just went down and checked my series 2 Xantia Activa. There is a small breather pipe that attaches to the centre of the cap on the LHM reservoir via a fairly small orifice. However if there is a very quick upward change in LHM level I think the cap could still pop off.

Now your mechanic has put the car on a hoist, probably when it was set at normal height. When he raised the hoist, the wheels would have fully extended down. After 10 secs approx, both height correctors would have released LHM back to the reservoir to try to lower the car but to no avail as there was no weight on the wheels except that now there would be no LHM in the suspension spheres. So when he lowers the hoist, all the height correctors are open to suspension cylinders and four suspension cylinders of LHM would be added to the reservoir very quickly. I know my cap doesn't hold on very tight so it would not take much pressure for it to lift off. I am glad there is a breaher hose attached to it so it won't go too far if it pops off.

So I don't think you have any problem, I think the cap popped off because of how he handled the car. I think this can happen at tyre fitting stations as well.

Cheers, Ken
    JohnW, David S and GreenBlood like this.

Tadpole

hey thanks for all replys will check fluid at full height and post results
    cheers.

Fellow Frogger

More importantly ... how are the front strut mounts looking? It's important to check these on Xantia and XM, especially if they are the old style mounts.

1000+ Posts

they'd sorted it out after '97 hadn't they David?

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    they'd sorted it out after '97 hadn't they David?
    Sorry, 2001, so it will have the later type from the factory (from about 98 on I think), but don't underestimate the ability of people to change things and fit something older. Even the later type is not age-proof. The rubber can still let go, but the steel ring at the bottom should prevent it moving up far. You can't be complacent about this aspect of the XM and Xantia even if you have the later style mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Sorry, 2001, so it will have the later type from the factory (from about 98 on I think), but don't underestimate the ability of people to change things and fit something older. Even the later type is not age-proof. The rubber can still let go, but the steel ring at the bottom should prevent it moving up far. You can't be complacent about this aspect of the XM and Xantia even if you have the later style mounts.
    I have a vague memory that the NZ regulators made those early strut mounts a recall item, as they should have in Oz IMHO. It's a very important matter to check, regardless. The local folk in Perth denied the problem even as I bought new mounts of the correct type as a precautionary replacement at 12 years!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

JBN

After what your car has gone through, I would do some Citroen gymnastics. With the engine running, set the height lever to the highest setting. Raise the bonnet and check the LHM level indicator. After it settles, lower the lever to the lowest setting. Repeat this process 3 or 4 times before setting the lever back to the normal driving height. This lubricates the suspension pistons, circulates the fluid and removes air bubbles. Not a bad habit to do once a month. I find the ride feels more supple. If you have jealous neighbours that hate Citroens, then do it more often when they are looking. Has a similar effect to a red rag waved at a bull.

If you want the ride to be at its best, fill the tank with fuel. Xantias ride better with a full tank. I notice the decrease in ride quality when it is in the bottom half of the tank.

John
    JohnW likes this.

Thread Information