• Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gerrypro
  • 1 Post By gerrypro

Thread: Slough traction 1955 puzzle

Tadpole

Default Slough traction 1955 puzzle

Dear all,

My name is Stef Sep. I am born in Holland, moved to South Africa 10 years ago and travel to Australia a couple of times per year for work.
    After restoring a slough built 1955 2cv, a 1974 DS Safari, turning a SA built DS into a convertible and restoring a left hand drive DS I have recently bought a new interesting project. For this one I need some help.

It is a 1955 Slough built Traction light 15. The previous owner passed away mid project, so it is a big puzzle and I dont have the complete picture of how the puzzle should look like. There are so many things different on a slough compared to a french TA that I am looking for mostly interior pictures.
    Mine has the round instruments.

Looking for details like; Rooflining, all interior upholstry (between the doors, around the windscreen, around the rear window etc. etc.) , position of interior light, which switches come where? (it has a lucas steering column mounted switch arrangement instead of the std Citroen one) Details on the glove box.

Also; the CV joints on the drive shafts on the wheel side are open, but sometimes I see pictures of driveshafts with a sort of sphere around the cv joint and in the manual it is a cylinder with a rubber boot. What did mine have when it was built in 1955?

All help is welcome!

Regards,

Stef

Advertisement

Later cars had the metal sleeve with the rubber boot to cover the double universal joint and to protect from dust and moisture. Most of these cars have lost this protection over the years and were just fitted with the open joints as were the earlier cars. If your car is truly a 1955 it should have a rear seat with a drop down central arm rest. The seat faces will be leather and the rest of the seat coverings will be vinyl. It is nearly impossible to obtain the original kind of vinyl. The headlining should also be vinyl for 1955 but earlier than this it was a flannel cloth. It is also very difficult to obtain the correct weave of the cloth and the correct pattern for the vinyl ( a facsimile of a cloth type weave). Best info will come from the members of the English Traction Owners Club but they will probably want you to join!
    BTW the picture I have for my Avatar is of my 1953 Slough built Light 15. It is very close to fully original in its use of materials. I could not find quite the original type of carpet, but what I put in does look the part.
    Greg likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

Tadpole

Thanks Gerry!

I am very lucky to have the original seat upholstry in good condition, you are right; including the central fold up armrest.
    Would you be able to send me pictures of the interior? (as much detail as possible) to [email protected]?

Regards,

Stef

What particular areas of the interior trim do you need? Door trims? Headlining? Carpeting? My car, from which I will take the photos will be different from yours!
    Cheers Gerry

Tadpole

Yes please all the above areas. At which areas will our cars be different?

The headlining is done differently, The door cards will be the same. Carpeting will also be done the same. I will take some pics today for you. Also is your car a bench front seat or a split bench? Mine is a single bench.
    Cheers Gerry

Slough traction 1955 puzzle-dsc_05451.jpgSlough traction 1955 puzzle-dsc_05321.jpgSlough traction 1955 puzzle-dsc_05331.jpgSlough traction 1955 puzzle-dsc_05341.jpgSlough traction 1955 puzzle-dsc_05351.jpgSlough traction 1955 puzzle-dsc_05361.jpgSlough traction 1955 puzzle-dsc_05371.jpgSlough traction 1955 puzzle-dsc_05381.jpgSlough traction 1955 puzzle-dsc_05391.jpgSlough traction 1955 puzzle-dsc_05401.jpgSlough traction 1955 puzzle-dsc_05411.jpgSlough traction 1955 puzzle-dsc_05421.jpgSlough traction 1955 puzzle-dsc_05431.jpgSlough traction 1955 puzzle-dsc_05441.jpgSlough traction 1955 puzzle-dsc_05311.jpg
    Cheers Gerry

Tadpole

Thanks guys,

Really making progress now! Busy with rewiring the whole thing. I cant find a 1955 slough wiring schematic. I have a few 1953, but the 1955 is different (round instruments) Does anyone have this? If not a ppicture of the owners manual explaining what the different switches do will help a lot. For instance; The right of the 4 round instrument panels has a toggle switch; what does it do? And the windscreen wiper; does that get activated by pulling or pushing the windscreen knob? On the rh wiper unit there is a switch arrangement; is that to prevent activation when wiper is rotated from windscreen (windscreen open for ventillation) or is it the actual activation switch?

Please assist!

The switch on the RH wiper spindle is the activation for the mechanism. When the knob is rotated the shaft
    drops into a notch in the gear and the switch makes contact. You neither pull or push on the wiper knobs to activate. Just rotate them. One does however have to push and rotate to disengage them. The toggle switch is for the instrument panel lights. Wiring is like the standard '49 diagram with variations to accommodate twin tail light units, and twin fire wall junction boxes. The regulator will have a separate fuse box with twin fuses unlike the earlier regulator with the integral twin fuses. The connection principles are the same. New wiring harnesses are available from England. Contact the Traction Owners Club. They are a funny bunch and may insist that you join before giving any assistance.
    Greg likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

Hi Gerry,

Your car looks very nice..........My only question is, shouldn't there be a narrow vinyl colour trim that runs along the top of the doors, from the windscreen to the rear elephant ear panels, to hide where the hoodlining is tacked to the imbedded paper cording. It sits above the draught seal?

My '54 also had a fuse box, as there was none on the smaller regulator, and from '54 all cars had windscreen washers. There was a bottle in the engine bay on the L/H side? on the 4 cylinder cars, and on the R/H side on the 6 H's

There were two washer jets on the scuttle air intake.

Vintage wiring harnesses in Victoria do a great harness for the late cars, but my only criticism is that the canvas covered cables are plastic sheathed underneath, so makes the harness pretty bulky, and the section that goes out the the French headlamp switch won't fit through the hole in the steering column support.

All late Slough cars had the French headlamp switch on the column (as far as I'm aware), but the trafficators were controlled by a Lucas vacuum switch on the L/H circular dash plate.

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

No Greg, the Vinyl Strip was only fitted to the cars that had the cream vinyl headlining. This car is a 53 and has Macquarie Flannel material that matches the original perfectly. I still have the lining that came out of the car for comparisons. The Flannel lining was fitted to the mid 52 to mid 54 cars and fastened by catching the cloth on metal hooked strips fastened by screws to the side rails of the roof. In this way the fixing was totally hidden and forms a smooth line down to the Fur-flex draught excluder. Later cars went back to the tacked lining covered over by the vinyl covered trim strips. (The same vinyl as used on the door and seat trims). Those cars also went back to a visible head board inside the C-pillar quarter panel. Cars earlier than 52 had trim board strips in place of the metal strips of 52-54. This type of fixing was also blind but the fastening was by small nails hammered through the cloth and into the board strips. The cloth was first pushed up behind the board strips before nailing. A quick tug on the cloth allowed the head of the nail to disappear though the weave of the cloth, hence the term blind fixing!
    These cars also had visible head boards the rear quarter panel.
    Pre-war is another story again with the head board panel wrapped right around behind the rear widow in one continuous piece, and the side fastening strips were exposed and separately covered in the same material as the headlining as in the manner of the post 54 cars.
    Cheers Gerry

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for all the great info.........It's seems that Slough chopped and changed regularly. The French used the metal rails with the reverse spikes for the later Tractions at least, and was a very simple and neat way to fit the headlining. The tradition was carried on on the SM and the CX, but the GS was just glued around the door and screen openings.

Our '54 had the cloth heading, but definitely had the the vinyl coloured top rails, as the fastening nails were a bit weak.

Slough did some strange things with the 6H's as well as many of the cars came with the French Pullman bucket seats in the front, trimmed in Slough Leather, and the French high back rear seats, where the the centre of the seat finishes at the top of the arm rest.

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Tadpole

Thank you Gerry, That helps a lot! I am actually enjoying making the harness myself. With your information I can now complete that part.

Stef

Quote Originally Posted by Stef Sep View Post
    Thank you Gerry, That helps a lot! I am actually enjoying making the harness myself. With your information I can now complete that part.

Stef
    I made the harness also but I did have the advantage of the old complete loom to strip down and replace wire by wire. I bind my harnesses with Cotton bias binding tape and whilst it is not the correct woven Lucas binding, it gives a pretty authentic look for the period. I have recently completed my 11BL harness with addition of wiring runs for indicators and twin taillights. It is not standard for the car but today it is necessary for modern traffic!
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Hi Jerry,

Thanks for all the great info.........It's seems that Slough chopped and changed regularly. The French used the metal rails with the reverse spikes for the later Tractions at least, and was a very simple and neat way to fit the headlining. The tradition was carried on on the SM and the CX, but the GS was just glued around the door and screen openings.

Our '54 had the cloth heading, but definitely had the the vinyl coloured top rails, as the fastening nails were a bit weak.

Slough did some strange things with the 6H's as well as many of the cars came with the French Pullman bucket seats in the front, trimmed in Slough Leather, and the French high back rear seats, where the the centre of the seat finishes at the top of the arm rest.

Best regards,

Greg
    Probably Slough had to make use of what was available to them at the time. My 6H had the French Pullman front seats trimmed in English Vinyl Leather mix as did yours! But the rear seat was just like the rear seat of a Big 15. Your 54 must be a transition between the cloth style and the Vinyl head-linings. It is probable that the toothed roof rails were in short supply hence the reversion to nailing and the addition of a cap strip! Personally I have never seen a Slough car trimmed this way.
    Cheers Gerry

Greg, Could you post some pics of the 54 headlining? I would be interested to see the way it has been executed! Thanks in anticipation!
    Cheers Gerry

Thread Information