xsara.
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: xsara.

Default xsara.

There is a citroen xsara for sale in the local car dealers. Very neat. 2 litre motor, manual gearbox, 98,000km. gold colour. Local car.
    The price is $2990.
    What are these cars like. Reliability etc.

2003 model.

Advertisement
    Last edited by tasie C5; 27th September 2017 at 12:46 PM.

Thank God I'm a Frenchman harrisson_citroen's Avatar

VTR or VTS? Very economical, Not a bad ride with the trailing arms, but definitely not like a proper Citroen.
    Reliability is probably quite good. A lot of them got some issues with gear box and clutch. But other than that not much else to go wrong.
    It is really a Peugeot 306 in disguise, If it is 2 door, passengers at the back will feel a little bit confined. There are 4 doors also.
    if it was me I would only buy the VTS, a lot more fun for probably the same money nowadays.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Thanks for that. Its a VTS.

As mentioned previously- gearbox, clutch - but in my experience the 2 doors are also susceptible to failing power windows.
    Bruce H

Now 10 DS3 Dstyle; 99 Xantia SX; 96 Xantia SX; 78 GS Pallas; 76 GS Club Estate; 76 GS Club Estate; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Thank God I'm a Frenchman harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    As mentioned previously- gearbox, clutch - but in my experience the 2 doors are also susceptible to failing power windows.
    Yes I forgot the power windows cable failing, quite common.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Fellow Frogger

So a gold Xsara VTS. See:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ropz6UO-vhw
    You might also want a Claudia Schiffer cutout to go with it. Dealers had these as a promo tool.

Some of those cars were being sold well after they were built, so compare the compliance and build dates. However, at this age it's not really a big deal now. Check for leaky heater matrix (dash out job), cracked wishbones (near mounts), dodgy folding seat release (cables and pivot inside seat break) in addition to the usual used car checks.

It most likely has a BSI being a later version, so you want to make sure the remote/central locking works properly and that it hopefully has a spare key that not only fits the lock but will also start it.

Had one for a few years. Mostly reliable, everything in mine worked well. Never an issue with gearbox or gear knob.

Make sure its had a cam belt change within 4 years or 60-80k. Common faults are the o2 sensors in the exhaust giving an emissions warning . Always run good fuel and keep up the oil changes and levels. It should rev well to 6800-7k and from 2500 like a train all the way there. The ICV can give trouble if the idle seems irratic. Ive also had a 60k car that had a cooked engine. So look for records or proof of service. If its rough and rattly walk away.

They are a brilliant handling car. If you understand how the passive rear steer works in tight corners its really fun at low speeds. Fuel ecconomy was not the best around town. That never bothered me. I drove mine pretty hard a few times on the track and it never missed a beat.

Thread Information