Citroen C5 "Move Auto. Trans. Lever To Position P" fault
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Citroen C5 "Move Auto. Trans. Lever To Position P" fault

Good morning to all,

This is my first post.

I've got a 2004 Citroen C5 with an intermittent starting problem. Some days when I turn the ignition, the car wouldn't do anything, just make a warning "beep" and show a message on the screen that says: "Move Auto. Trans. Lever to Position P". But it IS in the Park position!

Advertisement

I wriggle the gear shift and sometimes that's all it takes for the car to start straight away.

Other times, I need to wriggle and wriggle many times until finally the car starts.

On the worst cases -so far-, I need to wait a few minutes after wriggling for the car to start.

Every time, after this fault, the car starts straight away, so I'm pretty sure is not the battery but an electric fault.

And it doesn't happen every time. Sometimes only once a week, while other times, every second day.

I live in regional QLD, in a very small town. I have a mechanic who is an absolute jewel, and even though he is not a Citroen mechanic he is always ready to help, and so far he had manage to keep my Citroen running.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

More than likely the lever location switch which is mounted on top of your AL4 auto box has broken contacts inside. Somewhere on AF there is a process to adjust correctly with the use of a multimeter. If it has broken contacts inside just replace the whole switch unit. I might have a spare and im in QLD. Sorry without going back on the computer I cant find the link on the phone app.

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Tadpole

Thank you for your reply, Dimistyle.

That sounds very likely, as my mechanic friend has been working on the AL4 recently!

I would be interested in buying the switch from you, as I agree with you in replacing it. Is it easy to replace?

How can I send you a private message with my car's VIN number and postal address?

Thank you again!

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mar8642 View Post
    Thank you for your reply, Dimistyle.

That sounds very likely, as my mechanic friend has been working on the AL4 recently!

I would be interested in buying the switch from you, as I agree with you in replacing it. Is it easy to replace?

How can I send you a private message with my car's VIN number and postal address?

Thank you again!
    Hi Mar
    To send a PM, click on dimistyle in the leftpart of his reply, above fellow frogger. This will go to his details in the AFs data bank. Private message will show (as well as view profile + +), so then click that and go for it
    Jaahn

Fellow Frogger!

Hi and welcome Mar8642

The neutral start switch is on top of the gearbox held by two torque screws. It may be that the switch just needs adjusting. To adjust
    place lever in P or N, then loosen those torque screws. On the front of the switch are two, blade type wire connectors. Connect a multi meter switched to ohms across the terminals. It should read Zero, rotate switch gently back and forth until meter shows continuity, [it is a fine line] that is start position. Tighten screws and recheck. Simples.

Good luck. Tony.

Tadpole

Thank you very much, Jaahn!

Tadpole

Thank you very much, Tony! You are a jewel!

I copied your instructions word by word and will take them to Kevin -my mechanic friend- this arvo.

Have a good one,

Mar

Any update Mar, should be any easy swap and setup.

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Thread Information