C5 front strut/roll bar drop links
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By David S

Thread: C5 front strut/roll bar drop links

Fellow Frogger!

Default C5 front strut/roll bar drop links

I have just replaced some cheap ( Ebay UK sourced ) drop links after a stunning failure. The upper end's socket has disassembled itself from the body. I had fitted these after a "rattle chase" ... that was eventually found to be the lower ball joint....I had kept the originals ( just in case ) and yesterday fitted the original parts back.

These things are remarkably cheap on Ebay from local and UK suppliers, but I suspect the quality isn't there.

Shades of DS repro items we have been reading about.

Advertisement

A look on Ebay reveals one UK supplier who offers adjustable length drop links, which "may" be just the thing for those who like to tweak .. or maybe a safer way to adjust the front height without the risks of getting underneath.

The "genuine" equivalent parts for my Xantia, bought as a spare to have in hand, were made in China...
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Hi
    From my experience of those cheap drop links I would suggest two things.
    1 peel back the boots before fitting them and regrease them full of molly grease. Running dry is a cause of quick failure. Also cheap ball joints.
    2 buy two sets
    Adustable links will not adjust the height !

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    ... Adustable links will not adjust the height !
    Normally, no. However, for a hydro-pneumatic Citroen it might where it alters the relationship of the roll bar /height sensor link to the suspension arms.
    jaahn likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

jaahn,

The ball/socket ends were plenty greased, it is a failure of the assembly and materials.
    Re the height variation. The height corrector works from a small bracket clamped to the centre of the roll bar. Rotation of the roll bar makes the height corrector add or remove oil within the strut ( a variable length pushrod ). The sticky above warns of sudden decrease or increase of height if the brackets are disturbed....with the possibility of crushing the operator under the vehicle. My thinking is that with variable lengths at the drop links the necessity to actually access the underneath of the car "might" be prevented. D series cars have adjustable length drop links that allow some small adjustment for left/right ride height. There has been a recent thread about that.

Thread Information