• 1 Post By Caisson
  • 1 Post By DoubleChevron
  • 2 Post By almostfrench
  • 1 Post By DoubleChevron
  • 1 Post By 4cvg
  • 1 Post By Balki

Thread: "Chuggington's" new shoes.

Default "Chuggington's" new shoes.

While I've been in England this year, I've treated myself to a lovely BX 1.9 TGD. His name is "Chuggington". (Those with small children will get the connection!)
    This is the naturally-aspirated automatic one, and yes, it IS slow.
    But it is very comfortable and economical.
    Just because I'm 20 000km away from my 205s doesn't mean that I should miss out on my French Car Fix!

Advertisement

"Oop here" in the Lake District, many of the back roads are very narrow, and one often comes chugging around a corner to find a pot hole, and no where to swerve to.......
    So!
    Thanks to some Cumbrian Pot Holes, this is the second steel rim that has died.
    I was threatening to put some C2 wheels on "Chuggington", so I've been and gone and done it!

It turns out that they fit just fine, although I will put some 5 or 10mm spacers behind them to give a little more clearance on the inside front and rear.
    For the record, the steel wheels were 25mm offset (and surprisingly soft!), and the C2 wheels are 27mm offset in case anyone else is thinking of doing the same thing.
    Current tyre sizes are 205/45x16 on the front and 195/45x16 on the rears. They will do until I'm back from Oz next year, when he will be treated to a new set of 205/50x16 Pilot Sport 3s. (Have to try and get all of that power down somehow!).
    The ride is maybe a little harsher while feedback to the wheel is a little better.
    The 205/50s should have a sidewall height approaching that of the original 165s so comfort should be fine, especially with the flexible sidewalls that Michelins are famous for.
    The speedo has always read about 7% fast compared to the GPS, so the 4% increase in diameter of the 205/50s should make it pretty well spot on.
    I wasn't sure about white wheels, thinking that I might need to get them powder coated silver when I put the new tyres on, but I quite like them. Quite a few Citroens have had white wheels, so I think that they might stay like that.
    Anyone got any opinions?
    "Chuggington's" new shoes.-chuggington-lipwood.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Chuggington's" new shoes.-cumbrian-pot-hole.jpg   "Chuggington's" new shoes.-chuggingtons-new-wheels.jpg  
    Last edited by almostfrench; 5th September 2017 at 11:38 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Nice car. The wheels look very good.
    almostfrench likes this.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

wow if your bending metal wheels shod with higher profile tires .... those alloy wheels with rubber band tires aren't going to last a day . I imagine a N/A diesel with and automatic gearbox is "sedate". The BX turbo diesels were very highly thought of and sought after. They must be all gone ?

seeya,
    Shane L.
    almostfrench likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

There are still a few diesels getting around.
    It's a bit like riding a 125cc motorbike: corner speed is EVERYTHING!
    The fact that the car only weighs 1000kg certainly helps when you've only got 70hp to push it along. Also, the aerodynamics aren't bad, so holding 70mph on the Motorway isn't a problem.
    I've got the same engine avec hairdryer in my 205 DTurbo back in Oz and that is quite lively. It's also only about 850kg which helps.

I'm a manual transmission man as a rule, but I must give a shout out to the ZF 4HP14, which has a torque converter that locks up in top AND third gear meaning that it's both efficient and offers engine braking.

We'll see how we go with the lower profile tyres, at present 45%, to be replaced by 50% profile tyres, which don't really come under the "paint roller" category.
    The softness of the steel rims did surprise me.
    I drive an average of 50k per year on Aussie roads and haven't managed to trash any rims like that yet. The C2 rims seem pretty solid, but they are heavier.

I mainly wanted to share my experiences with BX owners that might be looking to use stickier tyres than are available in 14".

I'm wondering if the rims are more damage-prone on a hydropneumatic car because of an inherent high rate of compression damping.
    Anyone got any ideas about that? Hydro cars are sometimes criticised for an inability to deal with small, sharp-edged bumps, which got me thinking about effective compression damping rates.

I'll keep everyone posted about how all this works out.
    lozenge and Motorgnome like this.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by almostfrench View Post
    There are still a few diesels getting around.
    It's a bit like riding a 125cc motorbike: corner speed is EVERYTHING!
    The fact that the car only weighs 1000kg certainly helps when you've only got 70hp to push it along. Also, the aerodynamics aren't bad, so holding 70mph on the Motorway isn't a problem.
    I've got the same engine avec hairdryer in my 205 DTurbo back in Oz and that is quite lively. It's also only about 850kg which helps.

I'm a manual transmission man as a rule, but I must give a shout out to the ZF 4HP14, which has a torque converter that locks up in top AND third gear meaning that it's both efficient and offers engine braking.

We'll see how we go with the lower profile tyres, at present 45%, to be replaced by 50% profile tyres, which don't really come under the "paint roller" category.
    The softness of the steel rims did surprise me.
    I drive an average of 50k per year on Aussie roads and haven't managed to trash any rims like that yet. The C2 rims seem pretty solid, but they are heavier.

I mainly wanted to share my experiences with BX owners that might be looking to use stickier tyres than are available in 14".

I'm wondering if the rims are more damage-prone on a hydropneumatic car because of an inherent high rate of compression damping.
    Anyone got any ideas about that? Hydro cars are sometimes criticised for an inability to deal with small, sharp-edged bumps, which got me thinking about effective compression damping rates.

I'll keep everyone posted about how all this works out.
    Well I know CX and DS's have VERY heavy wheels. The problem is people tend to drive far to fast for the conditions as the car will allow for it ... eg: taking speed humps at 50mph

seeya,
    Shane L.
    almostfrench likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

'... 205/50x16 Pilot Sport 3s...'

Probably about as good as you'll get in that size. Dunlop's BluResponse & Goodyear's EfficientGrip Performance are also worth consideration.

cheers! Peter
    almostfrench likes this.

might be worth checking sphere pressures, if they are low the wheel can't respond or travel fast enough through pot holes
    almostfrench likes this.
    2016 Cactus
    2003 Range rover l322
    1974 D special
    1971 D special
    1992 CX TGE Safari
    1961 ID19
    1972 DS21 Safari
    1965 Renault R4
    1923 Citroen B2
    1927 B14
    Massey ferguson 550

Now that DOES make some sense!
    What does one need to check sphere pressures, or should I get the Chevronics Guys to check them next time he's in there?
    Thanks for the tip.

1000+ Posts

Another thought: why not 195/55-16? Available in BluResponse & EGP (though not in PS3) & also available in Conti's excellent PremiumContact 5.
    Or, for handling balance, 205/50 fronts & 195/55 rears. Given the merits of eliminating one handling variable by maintaining same tyre type at each end, that would mean using the Dunlop or Goodyear offerings. I think that I would choose this option.

cheers! Peter

Thread Information