Traction Flat Boot Tool Box?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Traction Flat Boot Tool Box?

Hi Guys,

Advertisement

I've been out of action lately, my partner in hospital, and both with Influenza type A. Not fully recovered, but getting there.

I have a friend that has contacted me with regards his 1951 flat boot Light 15. He is the ex mayor of Dungog . It appears that I worked on his car back in the Seventies when I was part of Chevron Motors.

The car has never run since (ROFLOL).

Actually, the car hasn't been on the road since 1968, and the work I did on the engine is miraculously still working fine!

Anyway, back to the point of this post, Harold is keen to get the car up and running, and while he is having some work done on the brakes, and a new wiring harness fitted, he decided to rebuild the tool box that came with all flat boot Slough Light 15's.

The remains of the old tool box has given him enough detail to remake a similar case, but how the strapping worked that is attached to the case has him stumped.

So is there any Aussie frogs that have any pics of the Flat Boot Tool Boxes, as they were originally, especially regarding the strapping, they would be most appreciated.

best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

As I recall the straps were approx. 1 inch canvas webbing and were screwed to the underside of the floor of the box so that the rear loop come up behind the back of the box and the front loop obviously came up in front. When fitted they apexed together over the centre so that the box was level when lifted. The separation of the screwed attachment points underneath the box were approx. 12 inches apart. The lid was a separate piece of 3 ply, covered in black leather cloth of which its rear edge formed a hinge glued and stapled to the upper back face of the box. There was never a provision for locking the lid with a clasp of any kind but one could loop the webbing straps together to provide a sort of closure. I am looking for a photo of my old WM-715 that showed the tool box when sitting in place in the boot. I will post it once found!
    Cheers Gerry

Hi Gerry,

Thanks for the post, and sorry for the lack of response........Changed internet servers, and email address, and been very busy.

Harold says that the straps crossed over, and were riveted together at the top, which doesn't make sense?

He's now dismantled the box, so I can't look at it myself.

Guess if he makes two straps front and back as you suggest to make it easy to remove, that should solve the problem?

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

In my memory the straps were front and rear and did not cross. It would interfere with the closing of the lid. However there may well have been some variations on the design-----it would be typical of Slough! I can only speak from memory of my own car ---a 1951 model.
    Cheers Gerry

Thread Information