C5 X7 and snow chains
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Ken W
  • 1 Post By GreenBlood

Thread: C5 X7 and snow chains

Default C5 X7 and snow chains

Out of interest, does anyone have or have used snow chains on a C5 X7?

It is the Comfort spec, so 225/55R17, with the fluid suspension. That means it can take max 9mm chains, of the 102 or 103 size, depending on the maker.

Advertisement

Whilst technically available in Australia, they are quite rare, and not really an off-the-shelf product, although the hire place in Jindi, for example, says that they have them.

And yes, I have looked all over gumtree and ebay.

Chris
    Last edited by Dijon16; 10th September 2017 at 09:57 PM.

I must hold the record for getting the least amount of replies to any threads that I have initiated, ever.

It would appear that Citroens and skiing do not mix.

Considering the amount of 4WDs being driven by knuckleheads, that may not be such a bad thing.

Don't worry, I have been feeling the same lately about lack of reponse. We should all start hitting the Like button a bit more. Sorry I can't help much with snow chains from Queensland.

Cheers, Ken
    GreenBlood and SLC206 like this.

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    Don't worry, I have been feeling the same lately about lack of reponse. We should all start hitting the Like button a bit more. Sorry I can't help much with snow chains from Queensland.

Cheers, Ken

Cheers
    Chris
    Ken W likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Hi Chris. I found chains at Harrretville in July 2011 without much trouble. I rang ahead with that tyre size and it took a few seconds for them to a say no problem. Worked fine. No damage to the bodywork.

Not sad, but interesting, thank you. I went last week when it was fine, I did have chains in the car that were the wrong size. Did not get checked. All the flashing signs say that you must carry chains, which I did. It does not specify that they have to be the right size.

A lot of chains are 12mm, and there's a few 10mm out there. I wonder just how much difference 1mm would make.

And, if you can't go fast in chains anyway, if it could be driven on medium high suspension setting - the clearance of which you would probably want if you were driving in conditions that warranted their fitting in the first place.

Where does the actual lifting get gone when you raise the suspension? Forgive the ignorance, first time I have owned such a system. Does it change shape or diameter as it lifts, or just an elongation?

I did fit chains to an Mi16 once, on the Perisher Road. I guess that that car did not have any such consideration.

1000+ Posts

When a C5 lifts, it extends the telescopic struts over each wheel by pumping in fluid from the reservoir. That pushes the wheels down, and lifts the car. On a bump the valves are shut and the gas filled spheres provide springing in the usual manner. It isn't ideal, and the car has to be travelling slowly.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    When a C5 lifts, it extends the telescopic struts over each wheel by pumping in fluid from the reservoir. That pushes the wheels down, and lifts the car. On a bump the valves are shut and the gas filled spheres provide springing in the usual manner. It isn't ideal, and the car has to be travelling slowly.
    If you drive a C5 X7 in the mid level the car will automatically lower to normal driving level once it reaches 40 km/h. Driving in fully up position is not recommended at all as you have solid locked suspension and could cause damage. The car would be sending off dash alarms anyway.

Thread Information