Nanyang "XAS" availability?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Nanyang "XAS" availability?

Default Nanyang "XAS" availability?

I wanted to buy a couple of the Nanyang XAS substitute as they are/were much cheaper and seemed to get the OK from some who had tried them.
    However I can't find any locally and the website does not mention them now.
    Does this mean that they are now history?
    Don

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by tresbon View Post
    I wanted to buy a couple of the Nanyang XAS substitute as they are/were much cheaper and seemed to get the OK from some who had tried them.
    However I can't find any locally and the website does not mention them now.
    Does this mean that they are now history?
    Don
    Still available, these guys are in South Aus so nice and handy. . .

Nankang 185R15" 93H Classic 001 185/80R15" New Retro Tyre 185 80 R15 Front Runner

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Got mine through Bob Jane T Marts.... they just ordered them in... no dramas a year ago...

Thanks Chris, that a great lead. Bob Janes could not supply and they are not listed on the Nankang website. Maybe they are old stock but that's OK.

Don

Thanks Chris, that a great lead. Bob Janes could not supply and they are not listed on the Nankang website. Maybe they are old stock but that's OK.

Don
    Hi Don,
    The same supplier (tarziatyrecentre) lists on ebay so I doubt old stock. . . a little cheaper if you buy direct, first link.
    Nankang 185R15" 93H Classic 001 185/80R15" New Retro Tyre 185 80 R15 Front Runn

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Has anyone fitted these tyres? What are the comments about them please?
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

VIP Sponsor

They are available in 165 80 15. Either they are made differently to an XAS tread pattern wise or the ones shown in the picture fitted to a Morris Minor are fitted the wrong way round as often happens with the XAS. Also, says white wall but they ones shown aren't.

Thank God I'm a Frenchman harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    I've got four on the DS23, got them from Goodyear in Beenleigh, qld. Ordering wasn't a problem. $150 each.

Of course I havent't tried them at 160km/h but for driving around - on club rego - they're fine.

A quick search on the net returns prices as low as $132. (Ebay)
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Have put a set on mine last year and have done a few thousand klms since. The tyres perform well, and I push the car pretty well. Can recommend them for the price.

Sven

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    I've had them on the D Special for almost two years, or around 5,000km, now. They track and corner just fine, and the grip is more than adequate. They performed well in a very sudden and heavy downpour on the Hume a year or so back, when other vehicles around me were planing. I'm sure they are not as good as the Michelin, but for my purposes (at most semi-daily use for a short commute and occasional Sunday drive) and for this car (good, but by no means concours) the cost difference simply doesn't justify the XVS.

Thank you to everyone for the info. Good to hear they represent good value and are doing the job.
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

I don't know if you can get them in Australia, but I'm seriously considering trying the Ovation 185s.
    They're Chinese like the Nankangs, half the price.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    They are available in 165 80 15. Either they are made differently to an XAS tread pattern wise or the ones shown in the picture fitted to a Morris Minor are fitted the wrong way round as often happens with the XAS. Also, says white wall but they ones shown aren't.
    What Minor - i see a Citroen ...
    grandC4picasso RHB, [email protected] , EGS6Sp, B58, MY 2012-2013 (?)

I am waiting on advice from Tarzia that they are available again. There seems to be a supply problem
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Hi Don,
    The same supplier (tarziatyrecentre) lists on ebay so I doubt old stock. . . a little cheaper if you buy direct, first link.
    Nankang 185R15" 93H Classic 001 185/80R15" New Retro Tyre 185 80 R15 Front Runn

Cheers
    Chris

1000+ Posts

Two things:

On the Nankangs: the original version of this was reversed compared to the Xas but the later version (no longer called 'Nankang') conforms to the Xas outside/inside difference. Either way, it wouldn't matter as one could (& should) just flip the earlier ones to put the more built up edge on the outside.

The original Xas was not just asymmetrical in tread but also in structure, with the steel belt structure split in the middle with each half having a different angle of the belt plies. This was to provide some self aligning torque in high speed cruising & is behind the oft-trotted-out claim that nothing but Xas will do as the tyre & car were designed in tandem. One would thus not want to run an original Xas inside out. The Nankangs don't have this structure but then neither might the current Michelin Classic range Xas. I surmise that it doesn't.

On DS tyres generally: unless one is absolutely devoted to originality (at least in appearance) or very concerned about speedo readings & high speed driving, I can't see why anyone would bother with 185/80-15. At the cost of around 6.5% shorter gearing, one could shift to 195/65, pay no more than $140 & have a choice of half a dozen very good performing tyres. Pick of the bunch is Continental's PremiumContact5 - the leader in its class. Were one to have a tribal loyalty to Michelin that made one ignore superior tyres, then the XM2 &, for another few dollars, the EnergySaver & the Primacy3 ST are available. (195/65 is also not so aggressively low profile that it would not suit a positive cambering suspension like that of the DS.)

Browse: https://www.jaxtyres.com.au/tyres/si...5r15?limit=100

Some object that they don't drive fast &, so long as the tyre is ok in ordinary driving, there is no point in getting something better performing even if it costs no more (& maybe less). I submit that this common line of thinking ignores at least two scenarios where one might be pleased to have a better type: the emergency swerve the emergency brake, especially in the wet. Excellent, rather than merely adequate, tyres are cheap insurance for much loved classics.

cheers! Peter
    ScotFrog likes this.

a question ; do the 195/65 15 tyres fit on the rear of a D citroen eg not touch the rear enclosed guard
    cheers rob

I only have 195/65s on the front on my 21 - Michelin Energy-savers - and very happy.
    Haven't tried them on the rear, but... diameter-wise, they're smaller, as for width, well, I haven't tried them but I would wager 10 mm. difference shouldn't be a problem.

VIP Sponsor

I went looking for the 165 80 and found the other car.

Quote Originally Posted by fnqvmuch View Post
    What Minor - i see a Citroen ...

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    a question ; do the 195/65 15 tyres fit on the rear of a D citroen eg not touch the rear enclosed guard
    cheers rob
    My memory of a previous similar thread is that some folk had fitted tyres of this size or larger without problems. But I don't have a DS, so can't comment directly. Note that the 10 mm will be 5 mm in & 5mm out.

I will note that when moving from 135/80-15 on 4" rims to 185/60-14 on 5.5" rims (with greater offset) at the rear of a Renault R8, I had fouling on the rim of the guard. The problem was solved by simply manually pulling the guard out by a couple of mms. Effective & un-noticeable (not that I cared about that but on a DS one might).

cheers! Peter

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    My memory of a previous similar thread is that some folk had fitted tyres of this size or larger without problems. But I don't have a DS, so can't comment directly. Note that the 10 mm will be 5 mm in & 5mm out.

I will note that when moving from 135/80-15 on 4" rims to 185/60-14 on 5.5" rims (with greater offset) at the rear of a Renault R8, I had fouling on the rim of the guard. The problem was solved by simply manually pulling the guard out by a couple of mms. Effective & un-noticeable (not that I cared about that but on a DS one might).

cheers! Peter
    You'd barely notice that on the R8, I agree. The DS? As you say Peter, "one might"!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

If rear clearance were to prove an issue then one could always fit smaller rears in time honoured FWD manner. (Citroen has of course done that.) One merit is that one can achieve more neutral handling balance without as much tyre pressure difference front to rear.

185/65 is a size with a good range of tyres that are also available in 195/65. Browse Jax & you'll see a good short list. Regrettably, the PC5 in not available in 185/65 but the less wet-grippy EcoContact 5 is listed in both sizes.
    Pirelli's new P6, the very good P1 & Dunlop's new FM800 all appeal. (Michelin-owned) B.F. Goodrich's new Drive T/A seems OK &, it one demands Michelin, the XM2 & EnergySaver are available in both sizes.

If going down the two sizes route, I'd fit the FM800, a very good tyre in the wet.

If one wants to explore comparative tyre dimensions, have a look at:

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

If one wants a suitable spare, then 165/80 looks to be the right circumference & Nankang sell a (cheap & fairly nasty) tyre in that size. See:

http://nankangtyres.com.au/tyre/cx-668/

cheers! Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 24th September 2017 at 11:16 PM.

HELP Why is it that when I write a detailed 'reply with quote' response and press 'Post Quick Response" I get messages saying I need to have more than 5 characters?

COL

HELP Why is it that when I write a detailed 'reply with quote' response and press 'Post Quick Response" I get messages saying I need to have more than 5 characters?
    I have had that before as well, and when I looked for some reason my reply ended up in the quote I was replying to. So I cut and paste my reply outside the quote and all was good.
    GreenBlood likes this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Default 'Nankang XASs

OK, I will just do a new message without replying to one.
    I just picked up my tyres from Tarzia yesterday. They can't balance the wheels because of the tiny centre hole, so I will be taking them to a Bob Jane place.
    I note that there is no reference on them to Nankang, only Retro and that the side marked Outside makes the tread pattern the reverse of that on my Michelin XASs. Does this matter?
    They are marked as tubeless, but is it better (albeit more expensive) if I get tubes fitted?

Don

Better to fit tubes as the rims aren't made for tubeless, even though tyres are.

Balancing, I had the same problem - no machine fitting, put some ceramic dyna beads in them, got a bit better, but then they weren't that bad to start with... I mean, they're OK now, but basically they were OK with no balancing too.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information