Sphere regassing in Melboune outer east
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Sphere regassing in Melboune outer east

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know I am starting my own sphere regassing service for you crazy citroen owners.

Advertisement

I have all the gear and just did the rears on my D (including a new diaphragm rebuild). My aim is to offer this at a cheaper rate so you can afford to regas more often and keep the magic carpet running like it's supposed to.

Spheres must be removed by the owner (can do while you wait)
    I charge $15.00 per sphere for a regas, $30 for a diaphragm replacement an regas on 2 pce spheres (cost of diaphragm extra).

If you're interested, give me a call on 0411 879 080.
    Regards,
    Rob
    CCV Member

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Doh!!!

I just paid $35bucks each at French Connection 'cos Kirk can't regass the Xantia spheres too

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Icon5

Does anybody know of anywhere in tasmania that will recharge them?
    Apparently the only citroen dealer/service centre in the state doesn't service older models...

Quote Originally Posted by ajpolden
    Does anybody know of anywhere in tasmania that will recharge them?
    Apparently the only citroen dealer/service centre in the state doesn't service older models...
    FWIW, I live in central coastal Queensland & I send me spheres to Sydney to get them done. It costs about 20 bucks eachway to send a set off a BX, I'd suggest that to send yours to Victoria shouldn't cost much if any more so a viable proposition to post to MisterD

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Tadpole

Default Sphere regassing update

Yes,
    send them to me from interstate - no problem.

I have had the regassing jig for a while but never pursued the regassing until...
    I had to get 4 spheres done in Jan this year. So I go to the guy recommended to me through the club.
    $100 bucks later I've got 4 spheres that "all took the charge well".

I had two fail straight away. I called and explained this but was told to get new diaphragms and it would cost me $20 to fit plus $25 to regas each. The bit I was most annoyed about is that the regas was not offered for free as the spheres had never worked.

Anyway, it made me determined to get my regas rig together. Which as just as well as I has # 3 fail. When I took it apart to replace the diaphragm I found it was in good condition - a 4c o-ring was the problem. Something which should have been replaced as a matter of course, but was not. All spheres I do will have new o-rings!
    Cheers,
    Rob

This might sound a bit STEW PED, but how do you know when to regas the spheres. My BX16 Valve seems to behave ok, goes up and down, although the front does take longer than the rear and seems to rise in steps, the groan from the front strut has disappeared( thanks to AlanS ) My question is based on the fact that there seems to be a lot of talk about regassing. cheers josephk
    eugeot 2001 406 Coupe Polo Green.
    :Saab 9-3: 2000 Viggen Convertible Lightning Blue, BSR 424NM frightening!!!
    :Saab 95: 2001 Aero Black Wagon. 184kw .
    :Saab 900: 1993 Classic Convertable Blue.

$$$ SAVE BANK INTEREST AND BUY MORE TOYS!!

Joseph,

Not all that hard to check the spheres.
    Press down on each corner (with the engine running & suspension set on normal) & the car will go down just like any other car does. The front will be reasonably firm but should travel a reasonable distance downwards. The 16V doesn't go down as far as other BXs due to the different spheres on the front.
    The rear will be very soft & almost "floaty" even the 16V.
    When a sphere starts to lose its pressure, the distance of travel is reduced and this is noticed in a slightly harsher ride. If it blows or goes dead flat, that corner will be rock hard.
    As a rule of thumb, a sphere with 50% or more left in it is a regassable proposition, however a dead flat isn't as it usually means the membrane is ruptured. Some marginally under the 50% criteria will regas but are a marginal proposition as regards life expectancy. As an example, some BX fronts are blown to 45 bar. 20 bar would be the minimum it would want to be at to expect a reasonable life from the sphere after a regas.
    Most sphere regassers have a gadget for testing pressures before they regas. Experienced ones seem to be able to judge by the way the residue gas comes from the sphere prior to regassing.

Hope that helps.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by josephk
    This might sound a bit STEW PED, but how do you know when to regas the spheres. My BX16 Valve seems to behave ok, goes up and down, although the front does take longer than the rear and seems to rise in steps, the groan from the front strut has disappeared( thanks to AlanS ) My question is based on the fact that there seems to be a lot of talk about regassing. cheers josephk
    Hi Joseph,

your front struts are binding slightly, that's why it's rising in 'stages'. The front struts are probably making groaning noises as well. Have a look at the strut message just above/below this one in the Citroen forum. There is a lot of suggestions out there for fixing binging struts.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

DS

CCC of NSW has been regassing spheres for as long as I can remember.

There is rarely a club technical day that doesnt revolve around (as well as the BBQ and chats) owners turning up, removing their own spheres and the club regas person of the day regassing the spheres. It has always been a point that the sealing o-ring is a new item as they get hard with age and it really would be a stupid thing to re-use considering they are so cheap.

It is also not uncommon for someone to remove a sphere from their car only to find that it has been so badly starved of gas that there is little or no gas inside and quite often a ruptured diaphragm.

Always someone goes home in a car they thought was smooth only to realise they really had no idea how smooth their car was supposed to be until a regas.

Thread Information