C5 Headlights...can they be swapped for C5 V6 Hid lights?
  • Register
  • Help

Default C5 Headlights...can they be swapped for C5 V6 Hid lights?

About to register my 2004 C5 petrol wagon...I'm not happy with the standard headlights and my 2004 C5 V6 sedan Hid headlights seem much better...same shape but question is...can I change the hid lights from the V6 to my C5 petrol car?
    Thanks Brains Trust

Advertisement
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1970 DS21 Cabrio replica
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    About to register my C5 petrol wagon...I'm not happy with the standard headlights and my C5 V6 sedan Hid headlights seem much better...same shape but question is...can I change the hid lights from the V6 to my C5 petrol car?
    Thanks Brains Trust
    I'd register it with the standard lights.

Vic Roads want to see wipers and self leveling on non projector type HID lamps.

ok...happy to register with lights it now has....but after that can I change? I have a whole C5 V6 with low kms that no one is interested in so thought I could take anything I need off that...but if it's too involved..ie requires rewiring perhaps it's best to leave as is
    Rev. Dogboy

1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

I played with this on my x7 I know different setup but the issue I had was the bi function needed a pulse not a constant feed for the flap and the auto levelling system is different for hid and halogen headlights

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

COL

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    I'd register it with the standard lights.

Vic Roads want to see wipers and self leveling on non projector type HID lamps.
    My understanding with HID lights (Xenon or any other name you care to give them) is that they require headlight washers and need to be auto leveling like Rob says.

I have these on my my Laguna ii and they are brilliant, a nice white light with plenty of spread. And yes mine are legal as they are standard fitment for the model.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Fellow Frogger

They are HID only on low beam. High beam are halogen like the petrol wagon.
    Auto levelling is done internally and you will notice the internal bucket moves.
    The V6 has a different bumper and washer bottle to accommodate the headlight washers. There will be other minor differences.
    However, the V6 headlights have an extra plug at the back so your petrol wagon presumably does not have provision to just connect it. I think the harness is different or maybe there is an additional harness required. As you have both side by side, you could check it, but frankly, the V6 is the better car if you are choosing between them.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    They are HID only on low beam. High beam are halogen like the petrol wagon.
    Auto levelling is done internally and you will notice the internal bucket moves.
    The V6 has a different bumper and washer bottle to accommodate the headlight washers. There will be other minor differences.
    However, the V6 headlights have an extra plug at the back so your petrol wagon presumably does not have provision to just connect it. I think the harness is different or maybe there is an additional harness required. As you have both side by side, you could check it, but frankly, the V6 is the better car if you are choosing between them.
    ok...thanks everyone....sounds a bit too involved...even if I have the whole V6 to take parts from
    Can better bulbs be put into my existing C5?
    David..if the V6 were a wagon I'd keep it but a wagon is what I need....surprising no one is interested in a 118,000 km V6 C5....$700 anyone
    Rev. Dogboy

1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Hi Andrew, David is right about the headlight wiring differences. You can easily replace the hid ones with the halogen types, but it's harder to go the other way.

The HIDs don't have wipers but they have very powerful jet water pumps which pop out James Bond style and squirt the headlight covers.

What's wrong with your V6 C5...??

Are you still on the peninsula?
    Last edited by George 1/8th; 5th September 2017 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th View Post
    Hi Andrew, David is right about the headlight wiring differences. You can easily replace the hid ones with the halogen types, but it's harder to go the other way.

The HIDs don't have wipers but they have very powerful jet water pumps which pop out James Bond style and squirt the headlight covers.

What's wrong with your V6 C5...??

Are you still on the peninsula?
    The V6 drives very well but the anti pollution light is on though you wouldnt know there's an issue...from my research it could be a coil pack about to fail?
    also there is a coolant leak somewhere...not a head gasket...also believe it may be the coolant header tank having a crack...also a known fault but I haven't properly looked at it..
    the car has lots of documented history with a lot of money spent...thousands and far in excess of the $700 i'd take for it...frankly it's a bargain but no takers
    cosmetically there is a dent/scrape rear passenger door area
    I have a low km wagon and don't want 2 C5's so the V6 has to go
    still on the peninsula now but on 5 1/2 acres which was really bad as it meant I could keep buying cars...now I have to get rid of a few as divorce beckons...that's life
    Rev. Dogboy

1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

I would buy the V6 but I have nowhere to put it. Nowhere. I have had spare Citroens in the past but not doing that again.
    If you chuck a diagbox on it that will tell you which coil is not working. One or two of them might have stopped working. They are not expensive , I found 4 at the wreckers for $5.00 each.
    Every issue I've had has been simple, and not too different to previous citroens. I've just towed a trailer twice this weekend, one fairly long drive moving furniture. Effortless, an amazing car the V6, but my next car will be a hybrid for sure. Don't get me wrong, this car is economical for it's size ,and I drive it pretty hard. I just think the time is right for a hybrid, maybe next year.
    Hey, Andrew I have a set of HID lamps and wiring kit, generic, which you could fit to the C5 , only it wouldn't be legal. No auto height adjust, and no washers.

Thread Information