• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JAJEA
  • 1 Post By halfamill

Thread: Tale of two marques: Citroen and Alfa Romeo

Fellow Frogger!

Default Tale of two marques: Citroen and Alfa Romeo

For several years now I have watched the ads for Citroens and Alfa Romeo on Carsales. For most of that time the number of cars for sale has been level-pegging: around 600-650. Today there are 498 Citroen and 772 Alfa Romeo for sale. Not a bad barometer of the continued decline in one marque and the regeneration of another. I saw an article the other day which foreshadowed the death of the (late model) DS series in Australia and a focus on commercial vehicles only. Vale...

Advertisement

Greatly depends on how you are holding the barometer ajaxvte.

As I see it - 498 Citroens being disposed of compared to 772
    Alfas means that Citroens are more highly prized; certainly far more than Alfas.

Nevertheless, if that is your findings, I concur.

JAJEA

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxvte View Post
    For several years now I have watched the ads for Citroens and Alfa Romeo on Carsales. For most of that time the number of cars for sale has been level-pegging: around 600-650. Today there are 498 Citroen and 772 Alfa Romeo for sale. Not a bad barometer of the continued decline in one marque and the regeneration of another. I saw an article the other day which foreshadowed the death of the (late model) DS series in Australia and a focus on commercial vehicles only. Vale...
    Jinandfonic likes this.

Sadly, there's been little reason to buy Citroen cars (or Peugeots) in Australia for about a decade (well, hydractive C5 excepted but I would say that), and this is showing up in the number of examples for sale second hand.

Once upon a time, back in the olden days, Citroens had innovative engineering and Peugeots were built like tanks but also rode comfortably, while Japan was churning out basic metal boxes (and Korea was decades from exporting cars to Australia). Today though, a Hyundai will sell you a hatchback that does everything a Citroen or a Peugeot will do for several thousand dollars less, they'll have a decent dealer network to back it up, and Hyundai'll sell you a proper 4WD SUV, not just a jacked up, overpriced 2WD hatchback like the new 3008 if you want to step up.

As for DS, it's a joke trading on Citroen's now pretty much defunct legacy of innovation. The DS5 for example lacks proper independent suspension - in a $65k car. Yes, it's stylish, but the underlying engineering is dull and not good enough for the price point where the DS5 was playing. The DS4 is a thinly disguised C4 - itself not a brilliant car - with leather seats and a massive price hike. The DS7 - with its retrofitted electric motor to give 4WD - doesn't really address the issue either. DSs of old managed to combine style and innovation. There are no current 'DSs' that do so and none on the horizon.

Unfortunately, PSA still has some way to go before they're more than a minor player in Oz. A new distributor is just a partial fix to the issue. Better product is what's really needed...

With Alfa, they're churning out stylish hatchbacks too but have a sporty brand image (at long last being backed up by decent products like the Guilia) that distinguishes it from the Hyundais and Toyotas of the world. This is in contrast with Peugeot with a more utilitarian brand image which goes head-to-head with Hyundai...
    2011 Citroen C5 - 'La Barge'

1000+ Posts

We've just bought what must have been the last new C4Picasso in Victoria.
    Love it!
    Citroen ads?
    Really?.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Fellow Frogger!

I don't believe the Korean or Chinese or Japanese car industry have the same engine technology as PSA, also I see truck loads of not so older Korean cars on the back of flatbeds going to the crushers. The Korean cars I have drove have not exhibited any outstanding quality, capability or durability that impressed me. They are built just good enough for poorly regulated Aussi market. White goods on wheels!
    CXVingtCinq likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by halfamill View Post
    I don't believe the Korean or Chinese or Japanese car industry have the same engine technology as PSA, also I see truck loads of not so older Korean cars on the back of flatbeds going to the crushers. The Korean cars I have drove have not exhibited any outstanding quality, capability or durability that impressed me. They are built just good enough for poorly regulated Aussi market. White goods on wheels!
    I agree. Just back from a few days hire car experience with a Hyundai Accent. Basic with a capital B. All the usual goodies that seem to thrill the car reviewers (cup holders etc) but it felt like it was made of paper mache and plastic. Course engine with no real power, and the auto (not my choice) was very sluggish, but I guess it serves a purpose for a market segment and is far better than walking. I wouldn't like to see what it is like after 120,000 Klms however. It felt very temporary but maybe I am spoilt... White-goods on wheels is a good analogy.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current - 1974 D Special
    : 1976 16TS
    Previous - 1984 CX 25 IE : 1976 16TS : 1979 12 Virage

Fellow Frogger!

Trying to remain objective in my view on this.

In my opinion, Citroen has one interesting model on sale and that's the c4 cactus. Love the stripped back ideology behind the car but would love it to have winding rear windows.

Unfortunately most Australians have very bland and generic taste with cars so the cactus has not much of a chance.

Peugeot has promise. The current 308 is good but again most people will pass it by. It has some good engineering in it that is barely publicised or cared about. Weight saving being the main one. The dealers and importers are the real problem here though. Frustrating knowing that in the UK you could spec your ideal 308, but over here you have no choice. Errr, why can't I have a manual, 1.2 turbo with some of the fruit from the allure range?

The 508 is very underrated too. I nearly bought one (and probably should have) but there's not much personality in the driving experience.

Again I look at the Aussie market and it's populated by image focussed sheep who don't actually care about cars at all. And if it's not image they're after it's cheap and accessible. Hello to Hyundai and Kia then.

And you'll never break into the market that buys Toyota, truly a mindless purchase.

Fellow Frogger!

Oh and when will everyone, in Sydney at least, realise they don't need Ford rangers as family trucks?

Anyway, marketing is to blame and research groups.

Quote Originally Posted by lowpugV2 View Post
    Trying to remain objective in my view on this.

In my opinion, Citroen has one interesting model on sale and that's the c4 cactus. Love the stripped back ideology behind the car but would love it to have winding rear windows.

Unfortunately most Australians have very bland and generic taste with cars so the cactus has not much of a chance.

Peugeot has promise. The current 308 is good but again most people will pass it by. It has some good engineering in it that is barely publicised or cared about. Weight saving being the main one. The dealers and importers are the real problem here though. Frustrating knowing that in the UK you could spec your ideal 308, but over here you have no choice. Errr, why can't I have a manual, 1.2 turbo with some of the fruit from the allure range?

The 508 is very underrated too. I nearly bought one (and probably should have) but there's not much personality in the driving experience.

Again I look at the Aussie market and it's populated by image focussed sheep who don't actually care about cars at all. And if it's not image they're after it's cheap and accessible. Hello to Hyundai and Kia then.

And you'll never break into the market that buys Toyota, truly a mindless purchase.
    Image focussed sheep.... pretty much describes French car owners.
    Past Frogs:
    Alpine White 1967 R10 (round eye)
    Alpine White 1972 R16TS
    Blue 1978 Virage Wagon

Current:
    Red 2009 Clio RS 200 CUP

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by CXVingtCinq View Post
    ... . It felt very temporary but maybe I am spoilt... White-goods on wheels is a good analogy.
    Smeg or F&P White?

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by neural revolt View Post
    Image focussed sheep.... pretty much describes French car owners.
    Except for 2CV owners who have no shame in driving such an anachronism on public roads.

John

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Smeg or F&P White?
    Certainly more Haier than Smeg.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current - 1974 D Special
    : 1976 16TS
    Previous - 1984 CX 25 IE : 1976 16TS : 1979 12 Virage

Thread Information