DS repro pieces. Beware - Page 3
  • Register
  • Help
Page 3 of 3 First 123
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: DS repro pieces. Beware

Fellow Frogger!

At least your 4CV has a heater ! What do you need it for in California anyway?

Worrying. Presume that you have bought from the usual suspects in France?

Advertisement

I have just got new set of radiator hoses, so will watch with interest ( and keep the old ones )

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
    Citroen original parts are still out there but you have to ask for them and not take no for an answer. We have a 4CV around that requires a replacement heater hose every year because the repro parts die that fast.

Sent from my SM-G930V using aussiefrogs mobile app

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

It's not just Citroens... I purchased a brand new indicator switch for the land rover .... low beam was intermittant from out of the box (it still drops in and out) and it rarely self canceled. Barely 6months later... I have to hold the right hand indicator on as it won't stay in position. I also imported a full rubber bush kit for the suspension.... 68 individual bushes from memory ( I don't really like poly bushes... I don't believe they are the best for suspension systems). 12 weeks ... maybe 3000kms later .... I have death wobbles at 80km/h and a near undriveable car. I climb under and find the "new" panhard bush was completely flogged out ... disintegrated... To say I'm not impressed would be the understatement of the century. I refitted the 30year old bush as at least it's still intact.

Now 8months ... maybe 10,000kms later I have several clonks and noises in the suspension. I'm not looking 'cos I just don't want to know.... 68 god damn suspension bushes that will need to be replaced again ( which is quite a large job ). What is the point in even trying though when the replacements will only last another 3months

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Sounds like the Chinese don't know how to do rubber yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    Sounds like the Chinese don't know how to do rubber yet.
    I believe they still adhere to a single child policy.
    Arekisir and ScotFrog like this.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Fellow Frogger!

They're changing it

Am off to Wuhan in three weeks to help deal with the flood of children ( they've had the other sort of flood too )

Sounds like they should do rubber a bit better

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Update - https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.a1114b9aa369
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    It's not just Citroens... I purchased a brand new indicator switch for the land rover .... low beam was intermittant from out of the box (it still drops in and out) and it rarely self canceled. Barely 6months later... I have to hold the right hand indicator on as it won't stay in position. I also imported a full rubber bush kit for the suspension.... 68 individual bushes from memory ( I don't really like poly bushes... I don't believe they are the best for suspension systems). 12 weeks ... maybe 3000kms later .... I have death wobbles at 80km/h and a near undriveable car. I climb under and find the "new" panhard bush was completely flogged out ... disintegrated... To say I'm not impressed would be the understatement of the century. I refitted the 30year old bush as at least it's still intact.

Now 8months ... maybe 10,000kms later I have several clonks and noises in the suspension. I'm not looking 'cos I just don't want to know.... 68 god damn suspension bushes that will need to be replaced again ( which is quite a large job ). What is the point in even trying though when the replacements will only last another 3months

seeya,
    Shane L.

Looks like you may become a convert to poly bushes. They really are very good .
    Nolothane have a very good distribution arrangement with Repco , so you do get a local warranty from Repco .
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Peugeot 307 Wagon
    Toyota Land Criuser V8 Super charged ( to tow the rally car )
    Rally with www.AMSAG.com.au

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Othello in Switzerland has ceased using repro as he can no longer guarantee his work. Some of the reputable suppliers will no longer stock the rubbish.

Cheers
    Chris
    Not to press a point but, this just in from Othello. . . He's not happy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Othello
    After having restored the mechanics by adding an air conditioning in 2008 (that is 9 years to date), I had a worry of parts re-manufactured of poor quality. These are the LHM return hoses with the 3 streaks as origins. They do not hold at all, and cracks after a few months. I have already replaced everything once since the restoration, the seller assuring me that this time they are of good quality. This is not the case for two years, they are once again HS.

It's a hell of a job to replace them all. For a few years now, I have only come back with fuel return hoses, which does not cause any worries.

MA DS 19 1967 BVH. DIVERS TRAVAUX EN 2017. | Citrothello

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS repro pieces. Beware-citothello-repro-rubber.jpg  
    David S likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

1000+ Posts

its hard enough fixing these cars without having this BS to contend with. Someone has some serious explaining to do and I expect there is going to be extended repercussions as time goes on for the businesses involved. Like losing all their hoodwinked customers.
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 29th August 2017 at 08:26 PM. Reason: typos

These are not poor quality parts - these are bogus parts. We are being scammed. These parts are not fit for purpose - another word for it is that they are fake parts.

Bogus / fake parts are not necessarily limited to parts made out to be original "Citroen Parts" but parts made for a particular application from the wrong materials. The people making them have no regard for the users, they don't care what damage or labour is involved to replace.

As previously stated bogus parts have brought down airliners. Those bogus parts were simply bolts made to look the part with all the correct markings but made from mild steel or close to it. They were not (say) Boeing Parts. They were not fit for purpose, they failed and many lives were lost for the money that they made out of the bogus parts.

Suppliers of the parts made for Citroens must be accountable - they need to be pushed / threatened for damages in order that they carry out Quality Control on the manufacturers to ensure that the parts that they sell us are fit for purpose.

I've previously been involved in big time oil and gas supply purchases and we could not afford to rely that the part that had to be purchased months and months ahead would be OK when it arrived and we engaged inspection agents to ensure that the parts we had ordered and waited months for them to arrive would be fit for purpose when they eventually arrived. Replacement delays meant big project delays!

Citroen parts suppliers have to do likewise and the will if they are taken to task for suppliing bogus parts to the Classic Citroen car fraternity.

Regards

John

Fellow Frogger!

My speedometer stopped working this week. The upper cable was stripped. Repro part, purchased one year ago. Absolute crap. I put the old one back in. 42 years old. The plastic sheath had partly perished (which was why I replaced it), but it works fine. Taped it up just now.
    Caisson likes this.

Mmmm, could you share the source of the crap part?

Fellow Frogger!

Well it was one of the main UK based online suppliers. But I would hesitate to criticise them, as I am sure the same products are supplied wholesale to a number of the retailers, and that they struggle with variability in quality etc. I have found them to be a helpful and reliable supplier (prompt, well organised, well packaged items etc), albeit sometimes the products they sell are not up to scratch. I have informed them of the latest - hopefully it will help them in their feedback to the manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frog View Post
    Mmmm, could you share the source of the crap part?

Fellow Frogger!

I was speaking to Darriin of Citroen Classics on Friday about repro parts and this thread in particular. Darriin has said that he does feedback when parts are not up to scratch. To aid improvements, he has even provided photographic proof of where a repro part (possibly brake discs or pads?) differed from an original. On this occasion, the next batch were the same. He queried this and was told his feedback was ignored as nobody else had complained!

It is paramount that the suppliers we buy from are notified as previously advised
    They have no idea how the goods they supply perform unless they are advised.
    What better way to do that than to ask for your money back.
    They will very quickly sort out their suppliers.
    John

Fellow Frogger!

DS repro pieces. Beware-img_0098.jpgDS repro pieces. Beware-img_0097.jpg

I notified Darrin at Citroen Classics and sent him photos, and he offered to send me a replacement. He said he changed manufacturer last year on account of quality issues, and has had no complaints about the newer parts until me, but will now take up this issue with the later manufacturer. To my mind, that is good service that gets repaid. I am about to order other parts from him, in part because he has been so responsive.
    Last edited by ajaxvte; 4th September 2017 at 09:38 PM.

Same thing happened to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxvte View Post
    My speedometer stopped working this week. The upper cable was stripped. Repro part, purchased one year ago. Absolute crap. I put the old one back in. 42 years old. The plastic sheath had partly perished (which was why I replaced it), but it works fine. Taped it up just now.
    I remove the plastic coating and slide on some black heat shrink. Produces a better result than the tape wrap method!
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger!

a year or so ago i bought new brake callipers and full wheel kits for front and back brakes for a Jaguar E type i used to own.

Upon being installed professionally by the top Jag guy in Australia - Glenn Olsen - the pedal pressure was unreliable and would not hold

we had to strip down everything despite all components being brand new

discovered that although cosmetically the new parts supplied from leading Jag parts place in UK were perfect the seals were not sealing!

they apologised and said their new Chinese supplier was not as good as the previous one

we binned the lot, retrieved the original callipers and parts - got them reconditioned and reinstalled them

and sought a refund from UK supplier

they kicked up a fuss at first

then when told I would not hesitate to both go to small claims tribunal and write a column about them i got a 100% refund

grrrrrr

but do not hesitate to stand up for your rights - there are people cutting corners everywhere

j
    antonio likes this.

Page 3 of 3 First 123

Thread Information