• 1 Post By JAJEA
  • 1 Post By citroenthusiast
  • 2 Post By Budge
  • 1 Post By GreenBlood
  • 1 Post By shanadoo
  • 1 Post By GreenBlood

Thread: Euro style DS Aircleaner.

Icon6 Euro style DS Aircleaner.

A little project for UK member Budge. . .

Paul contacted me back in May last year asking advice in getting text printed onto the black Eurro style aircleaner. Paul was aware of aftermarket stickers but one, didn't like the sticker approach and two, the available stickers were incorrect for his model/year. Paul had experimented with digital waterslides but was unable to get the opacity in the yellow to cover the black.

We exchanged emails and it became evident the original process would have been screenprinting. I volunteered to have a go as Paul had already prepared digital artrwork. Once we we sure we had good accurate digital copy Paul stripped and painted his aircleaner and dispatched to Aus.

This is not Paul's aircleaner but does show how they age, this is probably a good example after 40+ years of service.

The shape and the way the aircleaner sits provided a small challenge, it meant printing on an angle rather than horizontal. Screen stencil prepared and aircleaner held with bluetac. The film positive used for making the stencil taped in place and used to guide final position of print.

Film positive removed ready to print. . .

The ink is a 2 part catalised system, careful mixing of catalyst.

Advertisement

Finished print. . . and curing in beautiful Queensland sunshine.

I doubt there would be too many that are prepared to go to this kind of detail (Paul may be on his own with this one) but now that the prep is done I'd be happy to help others achieve a more original finish - stickers are fine where stickers were used but can look tacky used as a compromise. . .

Challenge now is to get the aircleaner back to the UK, Paul is in no hurry so if anyone has a trip planned and can help let us know here.

Edit: Seems I spooked the forum software by having print in the title (now removed) causing the post to default to 'print view' sorted but lost the attachments, hopefully all good now - cripes!

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Euro style DS Aircleaner.-resize7.jpg   Euro style DS Aircleaner.-resize6.jpg   Euro style DS Aircleaner.-resize4.jpg   Euro style DS Aircleaner.-resize3.jpg   Euro style DS Aircleaner.-resize2.jpg   Euro style DS Aircleaner.-resize-air-cleaner-laurette-1165.jpg  

74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

I’ve got no need for the service, but I’m so glad that a solution has been found for those printed instructions. Because as you say, stickers just never look quite right if you have seen the real thing. Regardless of the cost, it will always look just right. Well done on coming up with a solution!
    GreenBlood likes this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Having been privileged to work with Mr Greenblood and receive his particular brand of genius on two of my cars, I can attest to the level of perfection he strives to achieve.

National living treasure nomination is in the mail.

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I’ve got no need for the service, but I’m so glad that a solution has been found for those printed instructions. Because as you say, stickers just never look quite right if you have seen the real thing. Regardless of the cost, it will always look just right. Well done on coming up with a solution!
    Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    Having been privileged to work with Mr Greenblood and receive his particular brand of genius on two of my cars, I can attest to the level of perfection he strives to achieve.

National living treasure nomination is in the mail.
    Thanks guys, I just needed a nudge from Budge

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Agreed. You are a legend Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    Having been privileged to work with Mr Greenblood and receive his particular brand of genius on two of my cars, I can attest to the level of perfection he strives to achieve. National living treasure nomination is in the mail.
    I'd support that nomination! What a superb bit of work. I've got to find something like on my car now......
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

No.! Great work Chris.

No.2 Are you talking about the Airfilter cover only if so, we are off to London on the 30 th August and the Airfilter cover would fit in our luggage.

No.3 How about IE Airfilters? Maybe already available?

Regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post

Paul contacted me back in May last year asking advice in getting text printed onto the black Eurro style aircleaner. Paul was aware of aftermarket stickers but one, didn't like the sticker approach and two, the available stickers were incorrect for his model/year. Paul had experimented with digital waterslides but was unable to get the opacity in the yellow to cover the black.

We exchanged emails and it became evident the original process would have been screenprinting. I volunteered to have a go as Paul had already prepared digital artrwork. Once we we sure we had good accurate digital copy Paul stripped and painted his aircleaner and dispatched to Aus.

This is not Paul's aircleaner but does show how they age, this is probably a good example after 40+ years of service.

The shape and the way the aircleaner sits provided a small challenge, it meant printing on an angle rather than horizontal. Screen stencil prepared and aircleaner held with bluetac. The film positive used for making the stencil taped in place and used to guide final position of print.

I doubt there would be too many that are prepared to go to this kind of detail (Paul may be on his own with this one) but now that the prep is done I'd be happy to help others achieve a more original finish - stickers are fine where stickers were used but can look tacky used as a compromise. . .

Challenge now is to get the aircleaner back to the UK, Paul is in no hurry so if anyone has a trip planned and can help let us know here.

Edit: Seems I spooked the forum software by having print in the title (now removed) causing the post to default to 'print view' sorted but lost the attachments, hopefully all good now - cripes!

Cheers
    Chris
    GreenBlood likes this.

Icon7

Quote Originally Posted by JAJEA View Post
    No.1 Great work Chris.

No.2 Are you talking about the Airfilter cover only if so, we are off to London on the 30 th August and the Airfilter cover would fit in our luggage.

No.3 How about IE Airfilters? Maybe already available?

Regards,

John
    WOW John!!
    That could work really well for Paul, yes just the cover as seen in the pics. I can get the cover in the post to you. . . we need to talk, I'll send a PM

I think the IE Airfilters always used a sticker?

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

1000+ Posts

Has the Othello seen your gem effort yet Chris? I noticed the Dutch guy doing the amazing ID had screen printed his LHM tank, more awesomeness.

https://citroenid19p1958.wordpress.c...2015/img_7825/

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    Has the Othello seen your gem effort yet Chris? I noticed the Dutch guy doing the amazing ID had screen printed his LHM tank, more awesomeness.

https://citroenid19p1958.wordpress.c...2015/img_7825/
    Haha, I think I may have got the jump on Othello on this one

The LHS tank in your link is not screenprinted, he has computer cut white vinyl self adhesive and applied to the tank and then clear coated - result is very impressive, quite a feat to cut text that small - that text would be close to the limit for any vinyl cutter.

See here > https://citroenid19p1958.wordpress.c...2015/img_7813/

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post

Cheers
    Chris
    Hi Chris
    Amazing work .......
    (I hope the C5 is performing well for you)
    Cheers

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

Surprised you did not get too little catalyst in there with that great big spanner on the scale I do appreciate that your workshop appears to be about as tidy as my garage.
    GreenBlood likes this.
    Cheers,
    John T.

61DS19 LHM BVH (son's); 67DS21 BVH; 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM EFI (Megasquirt); 73SM 3.0 (other son's)

Fellow Frogger!

Well I am just blown away by the results and can't wait to get it back on the car!

Before it's resurrection, mine looked far worse than the one in Chris's picture. I'm sure it's the same with the gris rose 'Miofiltres": it's very tempting to use the dished top to put tools and spark plugs in when you head is under the bonnet and i think a lot of the dinks and scratches come from that. The difference is that the gris rose ones can be repainted and have a new, gold sticker applied - as that's how the originals were.

When i looked at repainting my air cleaner, you could buy a large 'Lautrette' type sticker but firstly this is numbered 'L 1459' (not L 1165) and so is for air cleaners with the 'square' profile of trumpet and summer/ winter setting that was fitted to later cars, secondly it's only a simplistic copy of what the original looked like and third, is a sticky backed thick plastic clear transfer: when it's stuck on a black background, the glue makes the clear part look grey.

As Chris says, my own efforts at making a water slide transfer stalled. I had taken an image of my wording using a flatbed scanner, then had turned this into a transparent template with just the letters showing, using Photoshop. Over the top of this I slowly made a new digital version, using the same font as the original and spacing each letter and word accurately. The plan was to print this onto transparent water slide paper (which is thinner than tissue) and then lacquer over the top once it had been applied. I had worked out that if i printed using a photocopier then the colours would heat bond and not run when the transfer was dipped. the project started to stall when i realised that copiers don't have a white tone cartridge and rely on the white paper background: trial prints confirmed that i would struggle to get a yellow colour showing brightly against a black background. it had to be printed or nothing.....

Since Chris started working his magic, i've discovered that you can now also buy an 'L 1165' type sticker - but the design is basic and it still looks grey once you stick it on.

All praise to Chris for his amazing work. It's great that he has been able to successfully demonstrate another technique to help us keep, or restore, the differences that chart the development of the DS over it's long production life.

John: thank you also for your generous offer of returning the cleaner to me: yes - it is just the top cover so is relatively light and not bulky. I will PM you and Chris to see if we can cook up a plan.
    shanadoo and GreenBlood like this.

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by citroenthusiast View Post
    Surprised you did not get too little catalyst in there with that great big spanner on the scale I do appreciate that your workshop appears to be about as tidy as my garage.
    Aaaha! very observant John, with just the empty can the scales needed additional weight to read - once spanner added I zero before adding ink/ catalyst/ and solvent.

The workspace still functions so needs a little more mess before a tidy up

Cheers
    Chris
    FIVEDOOR likes this.
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Fellow Frogger!

All praise to Chris for his amazing work. It's great that he has been able to successfully demonstrate another technique to help us keep, or restore, the differences that chart the development of the DS over it's long production life.

I agree. And very well done indeed Chris. Cheers.
    GreenBlood likes this.

Thank God I'm a Frenchman harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caisson View Post
    Agreed. You are a legend Chris
    Oh, Yes, he is!
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Fellow Frogger!

Chris
    Just so you can fully understand what you have achieved here, this is the 'before' scan that I used to make my digital template.....far worse state than the other example you managed to find.

Euro style DS Aircleaner.-air-cleaner-before.jpg

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by Budge View Post
    Chris
    Just so you can fully understand what you have achieved here, this is the 'before' scan that I used to make my digital template.....far worse state than the other example you managed to find.
    You did well to fill the damaged blanks in the text, gave us a good starting point. . .

What we have is not perfect, but my learned motto in this trade is, "There's something not quite right about perfection"

Cheers
    Chris
    59 Floride likes this.
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Thread Information