• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JBN
  • 1 Post By dave m

Thread: Canuck Xantia

Tadpole

Default Canuck Xantia

I imported a Xantia 1994 as soon as it was 15 years old to suit the Cdn.rules. Hoping that it would be the true genesis of the D series cars that I had owned and loved in the past. Not to be however,failed strut tops,duff spheres,hydractive switching gone lazy,a few electrical gremlins and an ageing return hose system means the honeymoon is over.Recent repairs were the doseur valve which resulted in a stained carpet and a split steering return line"big fast leak" which all but emptied the reservoir. To the point of this post.....I want to sell and having a single ignition key is a hinderance. I am an English only speaker and U.K. rules make it hard to have a key cut based on the vin. There does not seem to be a locksmith in this country able to deal with the cruciform key Xantias use. My question is,can someone on this forum assist in this. I will provide whatever info. and funds needed in advance. Thanks to any and all who might help. cheers D.

Advertisement

cheap solution is to buy another ignition, peugeot generic, then you can just have one for the doors and one for ignition, takes about 1/2 an hour to swap over.

You've collected precisely the old Xantia issues all at once, except the heater matrix, it seems. Bad luck on that. Xantias are great cars but the strut mounts and return lines will fail, as might the doseur valve. In Western Australia, the only locksmith I could find to address the cruciform key for ours actually cut the key by eye with a fine file. Very impressive!!!

They are actually very good cars, but the ride is firm by DS standards. The "confort" spheres soften things a lot. But you are selling. Good luck with that.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Some of us have been there before. This type of key is called and X cut key and there is a coding system which you can usually read off the key by eye. Then all you need is a locksmith with a SILCA program on the PC that operates their automatic key cutting lathe, feed the code in and it cuts the key from a blank as new.

I will see if I can dig up a link. Check out this thread. It's all there.

Cutting a X-shaped key

Cheers, Ken

I enjoyed the "all you need is". Quite correct of course.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

JBN

My problem with my 1995 Xantia is that the keys (we have 2) do not operate the door locks because the barrels are stuffed. We replaced the "plip" based central locking with an after market remote and spliced that in above the rear vision mirror. That worked for a few years until the central locking stuffed up. So now we leave the car unlocked. Then the boot would lock intermittently but I disconnected the central locking lever so now it doesn't lock but the push button works.

The heater has been bypassed due to the matrix leaking and one of the hoses in the engine bay leaking. This was done by cutting the to and from hoses to the heater matrix and joining them with a 20mm copper tube. I have no heater but I live in Sydney so it doesn't matter.

Today my wife got me out of bed as the LHM warning came on shortly after she left home in the car. She returned, I topped up the LHM and she is on her way. This has been going on for most of this year. LHM is fairly cheap. My time and patience is in short supply. I need to put the car on a hoist as the leak can't be accessed from the engine bay. It is a rear suspension return line. Why the Citroen designers didn't continue the aluminium return lines up the firewall before using rubber tubing to connect them to the LHM tank I will never understand. Likewise, the RHD steering racks should have had a metal tube from the steering arm to the opposite end, so that the French LHD rubber octopus would have served ALL Xantias regardless where the steering wheel is placed.

Sad as I really like the car to drive. Still, it cost only $2000 and I have done 100,000 kms, but when I look at it from the other side of the street, I still like its looks and the fact it is a hatchback. Not many 1995 cars have that effect on me.

John
    JohnW likes this.

the return line from the steering box is the hardest thing I have ever tackled on a car, it was nigh impossible to remove and then fit another with the access. I was jubilant when completed after hours of struglling stooped over and making up wonky pointy tools to help get the clip off. Stupid design. I leave mine unlocked AND wih the key in thte ignition for similar reasons figuring no dope is going to crack the security code to start it. Have to remember to turn it off though!

Tadpole

Thanks for the posts guys,I didn't put enough information in the first note. In Canada,there hasn't been a Citroen,Peugeot or Renault dealer since the seventies.[forumnoreason] A cousin in England got two key blanks for me which I filed by hand. One worked well the other opened the doors but would not start the car. I lost the good one and my eyes are not as good as they were.I had hoped that a key could be made as it was for my old Mercedes by going to a dealer and providing the vin and a fee.The spheres came from Rockauto, and the poseur repair kit from Western Hemispheres.[JohnW] Some good information on X shaped keys.Not as simple as I had hoped.[Ken W] My car is a 1994 sent to Australia and not sold,then sent to Japan and first registered in 1996.It's left hand drive and is completely rust free with less than 50,000 miles on the odo.On a recent trip with my son driving he was running at 185 Km. per hour and our wives in the back were unaware.Since then the sunroof has gone quiet and the alternator has not.It's still a very pleasing car to look at.[JBN] In my seventy eighth year,I have to realize that buying the inexpensive Xantia over a quite expensive D super was a bad choice. Cheers all.D
    JohnW likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Interesting that you say the car was sent to Australia and then Japan, both of which are RHD countries. I'm not surprised it didn't sell given that it's LHD. Robin

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hoffmann View Post
    Interesting that you say the car was sent to Australia and then Japan, both of which are RHD countries. I'm not surprised it didn't sell given that it's LHD. Robin
    Good to know that even the Citroen distribution arm is just as quirky as their design arm.

John

Tadpole

To be fair,in the seventies and before the distributors in Canada Were sketchy and those in the USA had the idiots in congress to deal with.{Variable bumper heights are unsafe!}I remember going to the showroom to see those shining wonderful cars "d series",but having to walk past rows of rusty examples,only a few years old in the parking surround.The amount of salt on Canadian roads made short work of those unprotected beauties.BTW Ken W. your info. my be enough for me to salvage the almost working key.Thanks.

Thread Information