2CV recommendations.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By robmac
  • 1 Post By JBN

Thread: 2CV recommendations.

Default 2CV recommendations.

Now OK, firstly, I realise that 2CVs are noisy. Wanting to minimise it a little if I can, with the full understanding that it will never be whisper quiet in the cabin.

As I'm at the stage with Gaston where I'm about to paint the interior so I will very soon need to install some kind of sound deadening and/or insulation.

I have a stock of EzyCool which I will be using for under the "carpet" and maybe inside the doors. Also possibly on the engine side of the firewall if I get really enthused, but this stuff isn't really sound absorbent. Looking to reduce the amount of radiated rattle through the bulkhead if possible.

I looked today at a Clark Rubber product called FormShield which is a 10mm closed cell rubber foam sheet with an aluminium coating. Thinking that this will be good for up the inside of the firewall. Has anyone used this stuff before? It isn't self adhesive but I figure a can of spray adhesive will fix that anyway.

Advertisement

Don't really want to go to the expense (or weight) of Dynamat.

Any suggestions?

Also, I've got a rough quote for a new windscreen of $190 odd. (Which doesn't sound too bad). This was from VehGlass in Campbellfield.

Since I have to make a template anyway, has anyone got any recommendations of where to have a new one cut from auto grade laminated glass for less than that?

Just had 5 new Nankang CX660 tyres fitted to rims. Couldn't help laughing at the irony of getting 135R15 "O-rings" supplied by a place called Motorsport Wheels and Tyres. Seriously, their showroom had some of the widest rims I've ever seen! Price was right at $109 each though.

Cheers, Pottsy.
    Last edited by pottsy; 8th August 2017 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Wrong tyre size
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Waiting in the wings
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Also waiting in the wings
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Fellow Frogger!

Could Motorsport wheels and tyres balance funny froggy wheels?

Slight shortage of places who can balance wheels with no hole in the middle

About to go roughly this path with 4CV wheels, still dithering about tyre choice, bu the Nankangs are up there ( until I'm more financial )

Congratulations on such rapid and high quality progress on the 2CV. He is going ahead in leaps and bouns ( which is I suppose a very 2CV way to do things )

Best Wishes

Andrew

Andrew. No they can't balance them. Yet to find someone with that ability.

They seemed to be the best price for the Nankangs. Obviously I would have preferred Michelins, being a purist and all ( ) but these should do the trick I reckon.

I seem to recall the old Repco wheel balancers had an adapter plate with three studs on it that can be used instead of a hole in the middle, but all the tyre joints seem to have abandoned such logical technology these days.

Leaps and bounds. Yes, very apt!

Cheers, Pottsy.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Waiting in the wings
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Also waiting in the wings
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

JBN

Many years ago (1996) after one of my 2CVs morphed from a Mickey Mouse white/red Dolly into a plums/custard Charleston, I lined the doors with some vehicle anti-drum stick on dense carpet stuff. I also put under carpet (or under rubber in my case) anti drum bituminised carpet. Both have stood the test of time but they have not deadened the sound much. After driving 2CVs for nearly a quarter of a century, I am used to the sound of the engine and the whistle of the wind and the drumming of the panels. Since the 2CV doesn't have a radio/CD player, I am grateful that the ambient noise stops me talking to myself, or at least stops the arguments because I can't hear anything other than the cacophony that indicates all is well with the duck.

I have Michelin X 125's on the Charleston and Nankang CX 660 135's on Daffy Duck. I don't bother balancing the Nankangs as that is a bush vehicle. The Michelins are balanced using "balance beads", commonly used in motorcycle tyres and large truck tyres. Try your tyres without balancing in the first instance. If they seem OK at maximum speed (going down a steep hill) then don't worry about it. If you are a born worrier, travel about an hour sitting just off the tail of a B-Double, slipstreaming. I bet the balance/imbalance of the front wheels will be the last thing you will be thinking of.

John

John

I am grateful that the ambient noise stops me talking to myself,
    I wouldn't worry, you would at least you would be carrying on a conversation with someone of equal intellect with same interests.
    Dave Rogers likes this.

JBN

You over estimate the qualities of my inner self.

John
    Dave Rogers likes this.

Thread Information