How do you remove a CX Series 2 ignition switch?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By JAJEA
  • 3 Post By leregulage

Thread: How do you remove a CX Series 2 ignition switch?

Default How do you remove a CX Series 2 ignition switch?

Does any one know how to remove the ignition switch from a 88 CX25 Auto Prestige LHD?

I have already removed 2 bolts from around the housing.

Advertisement

One underneath, the other on the side. It will not slide out of the housing.

Does the lower cover have to come out?

I'm kinda squirreled at the moment with the car, the switch broke in such a way it can't be turned to start the car, or barley power it.

Adam.

Take the lower cover off and undo the small screw on the side of the cylinder and it should come loose. There are a couple of big connectors that need to be undone that are tucked under the dash (several inches along the wires that come out the back of the ignition switch).

Once it's out of the way I suspect there's a way of hot wiring the corresponding wires to get the engine running if you don't have a spare switch, but I've not had to do that before so can't advise.
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

Alright then, how does the lower cover come off? I'm stumped on that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by marc61 View Post
    Take the lower cover off and undo the small screw on the side of the cylinder and it should come loose. There are a couple of big connectors that need to be undone that are tucked under the dash (several inches along the wires that come out the back of the ignition switch).

Once it's out of the way I suspect there's a way of hot wiring the corresponding wires to get the engine running if you don't have a spare switch, but I've not had to do that before so can't advise.

UFO

Is the CX S2 switch like BXs etc that have a detent pin that can only be pushed if you can turn the key to ON? If so, unless you can turn the key then you have to smash the lock out. Likely the internal plastic workings have collapsed from having a bunch of keys swinging from them for years.

Sounds like the steering lock is engaged & obviously you need to turn the key, which you can't at the moment (an anti-theft device that works as intended). It was as you discribe to do once unlocked as I took one off my early CX and it slid out without issue.
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

Actually I can turn the key 3/4 of the way ( just until the ignition dash lights come on ). It will not turn any further.

Is there a detent pin, or more than the two bolts I took out on the switch housing?

Also, how do I take off the lower panel, under the switch?
    I already have the wheel off and top two phillip on the sides of the lower cover. It is very firmly attached on the left hand side. I cannot see where it is attached.

Adam, You are lucky that you can turn the key to give you ignition and turn the security off. With the advice from others you should be OK,

You can not turn beyond 3/4 because of the spring loaded mechanism of the starter component of the switch - it is a relatively heavy spring without the key.

You need to be cautious not to accidently lock the steering as you may have trouble unlocking it without the key.

Good luck,

John
    Quote Originally Posted by leregulage View Post
    Actually I can turn the key 3/4 of the way ( just until the ignition dash lights come on ). It will not turn any further.

Is there a detent pin, or more than the two bolts I took out on the switch housing?

Also, how do I take off the lower panel, under the switch?
    I already have the wheel off and top two phillip on the sides of the lower cover. It is very firmly attached on the left hand side. I cannot see where it is attached.
    UFO likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by leregulage View Post
    Alright then, how does the lower cover come off? I'm stumped on that one.
    You need to remove the steering wheel first - pull off the centre piece, undo the nut and lift the wheel then the lower cover off.
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

My key goes in and out of the lock just fine. What ever broke has caused the switch to not be able to turn fully on/ start the car.

I have the wheel off, and the 2 little side screws on the lower cover.

It is really tight afixed on there! Now this is a USA- CXA modded car. Maybe something is different?
    Last edited by leregulage; 8th August 2017 at 03:19 AM.

Nah, they wouldn't have altered that... all that citroen andre of holland did was remove the citroen badges, and bring it down to USA standards, mostly running lights, and side reflectors....then market it as cxa.
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Does anyone have a picture of the lower dash, without the cover in place? It is firmly attached on the lower left hand side(LHD car). The right side is loose.

I see no other bolts, screws on the outside of the cover.

Unless there is something hidden under the weird little shelf on the left side-by the door?

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

once you have removed the two dome headed anti-theft screws, it should just slide out.... You have removed the lower console so you can access it and see what is going on

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Hi, thanks for the tips everyone. I just got the lower dash cover, and ignition switch out. Here are the steps I had to do to remove the switch from a 88 Prestige:

Unhook battery

Remove Steering wheel

Remove 10 mm nut directly above steering column shaft (can be seen while sitting in driver's seat )

Remove screw on left, and right hand side of lower cover (2 phillip screws)

Lastly, where I had all the trouble there was a bolt hidden by the swing down fuse panel. Once the panel is lowered down, a very thin headed 10 mm nut can be located on the lower left hand side/ on the hood release cable bracket,

With gentle persuasion, the lower dash should wiggle out of the way.

Ignition Switch Removal:

The ignition switch is held in by 3 10 mm bolts

1 attached to switch itself, the other 2 attached to clamping bracket round switch, column

The clamping bracket around the switch MUST be removed before the switch is gently slide out to the slide.

The top bolt does not need to removed all of the way, only merely loosened enough so the slotted end of the bracket can drop down

Pictures of switch and dash assembly to come

-Adam
    GreenBlood, UFO and Jinandfonic like this.

Thread Information