Offset steering wheel.
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Offset steering wheel.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Offset steering wheel.

Our new C4Picasso came with a steering wheel offset ~ 10* to the right and the salesman said trying to fix it would "make things worse".
    So it looks like the only way is for me to do the adjustments to the track rods myself.
    Has anyone done it before?.
    And
    The headlights won't adjust high enough from the cabin wheel and that too appears to be too difficult....anymore tackled that from under the bonnet?.
    Once again, ta muchly

Advertisement

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

If the steering wheel is secured by splines.

You could correct the "offset" by removing it and rotating to be on centre.

This is the way I've corrected many off centre steering wheels.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Fine adjustments are usually done on the track rods, coarse on the steering wheel spline. Back to the dealer for me.
    jaahn and CXVingtCinq like this.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    Fine adjustments are usually done on the track rods, coarse on the steering wheel spline. Back to the dealer for me.
    In the days of texting abbreviations the big question what is 10* ?

10 degrees, 10 cm, 10 mm or 10 inches ?

However, I agree it is the dealer's problem because the alignment has not been done properly.

1000+ Posts

As Peter said. The steering column is splined, so the wheel can be rotated to another spline. Warning: There is an airbag there - disable it first. Since the car is new I would get in touch with the dealer service manager, not a salesman. You should receive a properly prepared car.They do this small job often in the workshop.

With the lights, setting them low seems to be par for new cars. Put the cabin wheel at the normal position, and aim the low beam at a vertical surface about 6m away. The back of a hatchback will do, if you have to do it on the road. On each headlight housing there is a plastic Allen key socket. Rotating it with a key will raise and lower the low beam. You want the horizontal cutoffs for both to be no higher than the light centre, and equal. It won't be many turns. There will also be a lit area running off to the left. Setting low looks after high beam automatically.

Edit: If the adjuster isn't on top, look low down at the back near the centre.

Another edit: I'm told that two years ago on these it was the white plastic 6 mm hex socket.
    Last edited by seasink; 3rd August 2017 at 04:51 PM.

1000+ Posts

Hi
    +1 for back to the dealer. If there is an offset then after adjustment of the mechanical things, you must do an adjustment of the electronic steering sensor center, as I understand it. This is done using the factory plug in tool, diabox or what ever.
    I would say F**K the salesman, contact your dealers service manager direct and/or Dept of Fair Trading. Also the headlight adjustment.
    Jaahn

PS a salesman's job is to enhance dealer profitability, not to look after the punters.

COL

If this car is still under warranty I would be taking it back to the dealer and getting both issues fixed.

If the headlights are out of adjustment I would say they were not setup properly when new.

The offset steering wheel could be cause by hitting the gutter, easily done, probably just needs a wheel alignment.

You can do an easy check yourself for steering wheel being central by making sure the wheels are dead straight and counting the number of turns from centre to full lock is each direction, they should be the same.
    Kenfuego likes this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Fellow Frogger!

Default Offset steering wheel.

Back from the dealer today after 5+hr return road trip. Told fixing the wheel would "make thing worse" !
    Yeah right!
    Headline adjustment can't be done either .
    Software update done apparently, supposedly, for sure, absolutely.....why do I bother!

Fellow Frogger!

I can't find any fader adjustment for the speakers F to R.
    Only treble n bass and L R balance.
    Surely not!

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Nagaman View Post
    Back from the dealer today after 5+hr return road trip. Told fixing the wheel would "make thing worse" !
    Yeah right!
    Software update done apparently, supposedly, for sure, absolutely.....why do I bother!

This may help you with the head lights:

FAQ : 220 : Manually Adjust the height of my C4 or DS4 headlamps Halogen or Xenon Discharge - C4 - DS4 Owners
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

1000+ Posts

Yeah right!
    Hi Nagman
    It is OK for us to recommend some things but you are not getting proper new service. Go to your motoring organisation for an opinion and recommendation. Join if not a member. In NSW the NRMA will handle this sort of problem. They have technical persons who will give advice and help as well as represent you to the dealers.
    jaahn

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Nagman, go directly to Citroen Australia and lodge a complaint. The new distributors are Inchape. Your dealer well and truly needs a rocket up you know where, preferably an Exocet. Also talk to Joe Patane, their technical services man. He's very good and helpful. His number is 0439-857 787 .

i have a 2015 Grand Picasso and I needed to adjust the headlights higher. As someone else said, being set too low is the norm. 1.5 turns on the plastic hex socket on each headlight fixed the problem. If they are set evenly now, simply check them against the garage door to make sure you are turning the adjuster the right way and make the same adjustment on each. A simple 5 minute job.

Cheers, Robin
    Nagaman likes this.

Yeah right!

Abysmal service. Surely they are taking the p*ss. And/or treating you like a country bumpkin. As Robin suggests, you need to contact Citroen Australia and get it sorted. CA should be keen to stamp out such poor service by one of their dealers.

The dealer must be incompetent if they think they will make things worse by adjusting the wheel. They are admitting they can't handle such a basic mechanical fix.
    JohnW and jaahn like this.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current - 1984 CX 25 IE
    1976 16TS
    Previous - 1976 16TS : 1979 12 Virage

1000+ Posts

The workshops all use beam setters, and most are adjusted low. They will tell you that this is a legal requirement. Raising the low beam aim is simple, and only needs an Allen key. Do it yourself.

I have a fantasy about your pre-delivery check. The most junior apprentice was sent to check the wheel alignment and nobody told him about what happened to the steering wheel.

You shouldn't discount using a different dealer for any warranty work. Melbourne or Wodonga, whoever isn't the seller. Should you come north on a trip there are more options.
    Nagaman likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by CXVingtCinq View Post
    Abysmal service. Surely they are taking the p*ss. And/or treating you like a country bumpkin. As Robin suggests, you need to contact Citroen Australia and get it sorted. CA should be keen to stamp out such poor service by one of their dealers.

The dealer must be incompetent if they think they will make things worse by adjusting the wheel. They are admitting they can't handle such a basic mechanical fix.
    Unfortunately it appears to me that the salesman's high handed attitude to the service guys has got their backs up and have put him in his place.....I'm the sufferer though, ultimately.
    These are things that, if the miserable weather was replaced with a bit of sunshine, I could deal with myself.
    I also got the impression the deal was a bit painful for them eg half a tank of petrol and no mats etc.
    6 year warranty is comforting also.
    They're more into selling Kias these days.
    If only Inchcape would demand stand alone PSA dealerships, then we might be taken seriously.

1000+ Posts

There is a single brand Citroen dealer in Sydney, Continental, whose workshop does know what it is doing. I imagine there won't be more such dealers while Inchacape keeps the range so small. I notice even Continental is selling some old stock Pugs at the moment.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    There is a single brand Citroen dealer in Sydney, Continental, whose workshop does know what it is doing. I imagine there won't be more such dealers while Inchacape keeps the range so small. I notice even Continental is selling some old stock Pugs at the moment.
    Yeah, it's positively tragic Peugeot/Citroen sales figures and the trend is no better.
    I'm not sure if the Australian is into French subtly either.

Or indeed if French car dealers are into providing excellent customer service to those "unsubtle Australians" either.

Which could explain the poor Sales.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Or indeed if French car dealers are into providing excellent customer service to those "unsubtle Australians" either.

Which could explain the poor Sales.
    Well, a Camry wouldn't have a misaligned steering wheel, that's for sure.
    That's the true sign of quality.:wink

jaahn likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Anyway, there was much apologising and many promises eg: 30% off the first service, a free (unnecessary now) wheel alignment and a warranty extension out to 7 years but on the proviso that they did all the servicing......to be sent in hard copy via snail mail.......after a reminder...still hasnít arrived.
    They major in promises it seems......I get the impression, not so much delivery .
    Seeing there are so many $Ks to be made from so many services (probably twice yearly) youíd think they would look after their bottom line more carefully.

Well, a Camry wouldn't have a misaligned steering wheel, that's for sure.
    That's the true sign of quality.:wink

Possibly not. Japanese quality control is generally excellent. And the dealers probably pay attention to predelivery/ service quality.

However my experience is from a quite a small sample of Toyota vehicles.

My son has had two Camrys

My business had four Hiluxes and three Hiaces.

Our family has owned two Taragos.

Today we drive something small and fuel efficient, Toyota couldn't entice us with their offerings - but they were considered based on previous, positive, ownership experiences.

JBN

Nagaman, you should have told the salesman that you bought a Picasso. Had you wanted a vehicle with offset steering and cross eyed lights, you could have bought a Cactus.

One the other hand, looking at some Picasso paintings, you probably ended up with what you would expect.

John
    Clogzz likes this.

Perhaps one could say the Picasso was intended to be a bit left of centre. As is it's namesake
    Clogzz likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

When it comes to space efficiency it reminds me of my old Austin 1800.

Tadpole

Default Precautions re steering wheel offset

When it comes to space efficiency it reminds me of my old Austin 1800.

I'm C5 person not C4 and assuming your C4 has stability control just a word of caution regarding correcting a seemingly minor problem related to steering wheel position.

The steering wheel provides an input to the stability control system and any realignment of the steering for any reason must be followed up by correction within the stability control program. Basically the system has to know where the front wheels are aimed so that the yaw sensor can determine any deviation from the intended direction.

This problem is not confined to Citroen indeed any vehicle with stability control requires attention after a wheel alignment without this under some circumstances the stability control system in a real emergency could make the wrong decision with potentially fatal results

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information