Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By gerrypro
  • 1 Post By DoubleChevron
  • 1 Post By gerrypro
  • 1 Post By UFO
  • 2 Post By gilberthenry

Thread: why is working on cars so effing frustrating

Default why is working on cars so effing frustrating

g'day. Trying to fit new rear speakers to the SM. To get the rear cards off one has to remove the rear seat. To remove the rear seat one has to remove the front seats. This all happens OK. Take off the rear cards OK. Go to test the speakers after first fiddling around with the cassette radio (and inadvertently disconnecting the power to it) and now the stereo doesn't work. Find the security code (whoever thought security codes were a good idea) and find that I can't get it entered. Look up info on google and it seems the unit has to wait a while before it thinks its safe to be coded. Every time I turn my key to get power to it the fuel pumps pumps away. Is this OK with out starting the car or is it going to overfill the carbys. Makes me nervous hearing it pumping. Anyway I wait 24hrs and i still can't get the stereo to work so I have just stuffed up my music system. Bugger. Once again several frustrating hours spent trying to fix something and ending up with a a worse situation. Why are the values of old cars rising? when all the people who can fix them are retired or worse. They are a liability. I think of myself as pretty handy. I can build a house, make fine pieces of furniture but can't fix a friken car.
    Anyway, my cassette radio is a Eurovox model 4115CIT01, which looks like one fitted to a late model Xantia. Does anyone have experience with getting the security code entered?
    any help or encouragement appreciated.
    cheers Tony

Advertisement

No solutions but feel your pain.
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Quote Originally Posted by deesse View Post
    g'day. Trying to fit new rear speakers to the SM. To get the rear cards off one has to remove the rear seat. To remove the rear seat one has to remove the front seats. This all happens OK. Take off the rear cards OK. Go to test the speakers after first fiddling around with the cassette radio (and inadvertently disconnecting the power to it) and now the stereo doesn't work. Find the security code (whoever thought security codes were a good idea) and find that I can't get it entered. Look up info on google and it seems the unit has to wait a while before it thinks its safe to be coded. Every time I turn my key to get power to it the fuel pumps pumps away. Is this OK with out starting the car or is it going to overfill the carbys. Makes me nervous hearing it pumping. Anyway I wait 24hrs and i still can't get the stereo to work so I have just stuffed up my music system. Bugger. Once again several frustrating hours spent trying to fix something and ending up with a a worse situation. Why are the values of old cars rising? when all the people who can fix them are retired or worse. They are a liability. I think of myself as pretty handy. I can build a house, make fine pieces of furniture but can't fix a friken car.
    Anyway, my cassette radio is a Eurovox model 4115CIT01, which looks like one fitted to a late model Xantia. Does anyone have experience with getting the security code entered?
    cheers Tony
    The answer is simple! Buy a Traction and avoid modern technology altogether!
    Dano likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

Thank God I'm a Frenchman harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    avoid modern technology altogether!
    Well.......40 years old modern......
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by deesse View Post
    cheers Tony
    From google searches. . .

Courtesy of Eurovox:

How do I enter my security code to my Eurovox radio/cassette/CD Unit?
    Refer to the owner's manual of your equipment. Turn ignition key to 'Accessories' & a number '1' or code '1' or similar will appear. Press corresponding preset buttons as you read you security code. If you have a 6 digit security code, the display will count the preset buttons pressed. i.e. display will show '1' then '2' then '3' & so on up to '6' regardless of which number is pressed. If the security code is correct, the radio will turn on. If the security code is incorrect, the display will show '2' or 'code 2' or similar. After 3 incorrect attempts, the radio will go into 'lockout mode'.

Why has my radio got horizontal lines on the display & is not responding to any buttons?
    The radio has had 3 incorrect security codes entered & is now in lockout mode. For recent model radio's leave 1 hour (some radio's require ignition key to be on accessories). For older model radio's, remove power to radio by either unplugging radio or disconnecting the negative lead on the battery for 1 hour.

My radio will not accept my security code?
    (1) This radio may have been replaced and now requires a different security code
    (2)The security code you have been supplied is wrong.
    (3)This radio has an internal fault. To check if radio works there is a temporary test code '1111' or '111111' can be used for most of Eurovox Radio. This only lasts for approx 3 minutes.

Good luck Tony,
    We often joke about how much needs removal when working on our cars - your experience is real and frankly crazy
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Oh, the answer is simple. What you need to do is buy and XM. After owning this for a time, everything else is simple and enjoyable. It's just a matter of perspective
    UFO likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Oh, the answer is simple. What you need to do is buy and XM. After owning this for a time, everything else is simple and enjoyable. It's just a matter of perspective
    One would need to be a masochist to take that approach!
    Cheers Gerry

thanks and sorry about my rant.
    It is not you (my SM) it's me. I am obviously a ham fisted, nearly blind (well 55), klutz and clearly more suited to material I can cut, carve, bend and glue together rather than overly complex (though nicely engineered) bits of metal, that would rather stay exactly where they are rather than be fiddled with. I can appreciate the way the thing is fitted together and I am happy it is not a modern car which would be overly complex bits of brittle plastic and flocked cardboard fitted together with no thought of it being taken apart lest repaired, but still I wish to learn how to do this as no one will accept payment to do it for me these days. Though I do expect global warming will force the good old citroen mechanics in Brisbane and Sydney to find their way to Melbourne in the not too distant future.
    cheers Tony

What Gerry? Tractions are not allowed to have a radios?

Deesse, re the fuel issue; an electric fuel pump operates until it achieves its operating pressure. Fuel injected vehicles have pumps set to relativey high pressures compared to carburated vehicles. Once "the higher pressure is achieved" excess fuel is returned to the tank. So, personnally not surprized that "your" pump continues to pump away. I know nothing about SM's but I would expect the SM to have fuel injection. Nevertheless, you say you have carburetors, if you do have carbies, carbies have "float" operated valves that stop fuel from continuing to flow in thus flooding the motor. So, excess fuel not used would be sent back to the tank notwithstanding that I would expect the pump to stop pumping once the pump has reached design / operating pressure.

Re the radio issue, since you have the "code" to your radio, is not the required procedure not in the Eurovox manual? Sorry I can not assist.

Re "radio security codes" please do not forget they are from the era when vehicles were stolen / broken into solely for their radios!

I do not understand how you got into this situation when you were simply upgrading speakers - "trying to fit new rear speakers"!.

Regards,

John
    The answer is simple! Buy a Traction and avoid modern technology altogether!

Tony,

I have fitted some nice 5 inch splits with kevlar cones in the back of my SM. It was a bit of a juggle to fit them in between the back pocket and the vertical door strut and I had to use a spacer to leave room for the tweeter and to reset the mount holes for the larger speaker. The result was well worth it - nice tight bass and sparkling trebles. I makes the old speakers sound like they had floppy bits of paper for speaker cones (which they had by now).

So when working on cars - you have to have the garage sound system and music going to reduce the size of the mood swings. I was able to get the back seat back with only one seat removed (with help and it was tight as).

My son had a eurovox issue and he managed to find a picture of a diode layout in the radio for which the code was known, so he converted his radio to the same diode layout - success. If yours is a cassette based system, I would junk it and get a new digital radio usb bluetooth unit and upgrade to that. They can be had for $150 thereabouts and would be much better than spending time on this one.

Let me know if you would like a copy of the template I used to make the spacer for my speakers. At least this will let you use your woodworking skills.

Cheers, Ken

Buy a portable speaker system like a Bose. Take it with you, charge it as you like and remove it when you want to. No cutting, shutting or frustration or altering anything that could be outdated. That's what I do and maintain the original system.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

The other option is to replace the Eurovox with a modern single DIN radio. All USA spec SMs came with a single DIN radio, so you can either get the single DIN adapter from a USA car, or you can 3D print your own (I can send you the data file). Several manufacturers now offer "mechless" units that are short enough to fit in the SM console, for example:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Cheers,
    John T.

61DS19 LHM BVH (son's); 67DS21 BVH; 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM EFI (Megasquirt); 73SM 3.0 (other son's)

Quote Originally Posted by JAJEA View Post
    What Gerry? Tractions are not allowed to have a radios?
    Regards,

John
    If a Traction ever has a radio fitted, it is usually slung under the dash and is readily accessible without having to tear half the car apart.
    Greg likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

Thanks guys,
    I like the sound of your speaker upgrade Ken, so the template would be a great help.
    I actually like my cassette radio, not because I have cassettes (threw them out years ago) but because I have a cassette with a wire sticking out which I can then plug into the headphone jack of my antique MP3 player. I think it sounds fine. I have tried this MP3 player in a USB ported head unit and it suddenly became a computer asking me all these stupid questions and I failed to get it to play. Forget that I thought, I will stick to the old head phone jack system. Sort of old school. It also just sits in the hole with a nice black metal extender so getting to the back of it is easy, hence why I fiddled with it. There is something in the Eurovox google info which says it will reset after an hour or 24! so maybe after a nice long drive it will start working again and allow me to enter the code.
    The problem I was having with it was the speakers were distorting in the bass range when at a driving volume. I must say it did surprise me to find the speakers are modern megavox 4" units which must have replaced the originals in 2001. It has an extra one in the passengers footwell to give a total of 4. So when I do get new speakers I want them to not distort or it will all be for nought. So having good quality 5 inch speakers (2 in the back will probably do) should do the trick. Ken does your car have retractable seat belt rolls in that space. Mine does and it makes it look pretty tight.
    cheers Tony
    Last edited by deesse; 1st August 2017 at 09:23 AM. Reason: gramma

The distortion may be at least partly because the little 4" speakers are being fed a full range signal that includes bass frequencies that they have no hope of coping with.

I have very good quality 5" speakers in my doors but they still distort when fed a full range signal at a decent volume. On the other hand, they happily go as loud as you want when they are just fed a high pass signal above 60hz. Maybe an option to reduce distortion would therefore be to look at a modern deck that has high pass options so you can just filter out the bass frequencies that little 4" speakers can't reproduce anyway.

Of course, it would be even better if you could supplement that by feeding the low pass to a little box sub somewhere (or maybe one of the tiny units that are designed to fit under a seat) that actually could reproduce at least a bit of those bass frequencies for you...

Hi Guys

Blaupunkt did make an excellent "Sydney" single din short depth radio, with a traditional face, It's not a CD, just SD & USB and tuner for playback and has blue tooth connection for your phone, and supports audio streaming, so make listening to Spotify simple and no cables.

Its was also relatively inexpensive. Not sure if they now have a replacement model?

For me it ticks all the boxes?

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

UFO

As GB refers to above, the digit that appears on the LCD screen does not reflect the actual digit button (1 to 6) that you pushed, but the "count" of the digit. If for example the code was 3 4 5 5 2 1 as you entered the code you would SEE 1 2 3 4 5 6 and after the final correct digit the unit will magically come to life.

Fellow Frogger!

If a Traction ever has a radio fitted, it is usually slung under the dash and is readily accessible without having to tear half the car apart.
    sORRY, i'M LAUGHING SO MUCH !!!

I'm with you Gerry and well, in a Traction - - - having so much fun --who needs a radio.

Commiserations all the same, John
    gerrypro and pug206gti like this.

Thread Information