• 1 Post By forumnoreason
  • 1 Post By GreenBlood
  • 1 Post By harrisson_citroen

Thread: Are DS19 Heads dated?

Tadpole

Default Are DS19 Heads dated?

Are DS19 Heads dated?-img_0052.jpgHi Guys,

Advertisement

Have finally decided to do something with my DS19 and so have removed engine and started to strip it down for a look see. It hasn't run since 1984 but turns and looks in good condition. The low pressure pump is dismantled so I guess some failure proved insurmountable in those days and was enough to put it off the road.

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows if the cylinder heads were dated when manufactured. The car is a 1957 plated, Slough built car but the head shows a 23 11 55 number sequence. Obviously it looks like the 23rd of November 1955 so I wondered if this might be the case or whether it was just a random serial number that ended up looking like a date. Anyone come across this before or have any ideas? No real importance, I suppose but I am curious.

Thanks,

Danny

Interesting! I have a couple of DS19 heads kicking around but the hard part will be finding them. I doubt it is a date, partly because I am unaware of any such parts being dated. Also, I doubt they would have manufactured enough heads so early in the DS19 production run to have enough to last for more than a year. Having said that, there was only one DS19 head part number, DS 112-01, until they changed to the head with integral inlet manifold (DS 112-01a) in July 1959, so it is not impossible they made a large number of heads in one batch. I have checked the parts catalogues from 1959, 1958 and 1960.

Roger

the head would have been made in France would it not? Which would then mean if it was a date should read 11 23 55. Just a hunch.
    Greg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    the head would have been made in France would it not? Which would then mean if it was a date should read 11 23 55. Just a hunch.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_a...tion_in_France

Cheers
    Chris
    UFO likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Dťesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Dťesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Dťesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

UFO

Non!..
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    Interesting! I have a couple of DS19 heads kicking around but the hard part will be finding them. I doubt it is a date, partly because I am unaware of any such parts being dated. Also, I doubt they would have manufactured enough heads so early in the DS19 production run to have enough to last for more than a year. Having said that, there was only one DS19 head part number, DS 112-01, until they changed to the head with integral inlet manifold (DS 112-01a) in July 1959, so it is not impossible they made a large number of heads in one batch. I have checked the parts catalogues from 1959, 1958 and 1960.

Roger
    Roger, I recall reading a story about how a whole heap of engines were made early on and some of those were shipped to the UK for fitment. There are stories of cars with engines that were built some years prior to vehicle manufacture as (apparently) the engines were shoved into a warehouse and the factory proceeded to use the last in first out method as there was only one access.

Could be interweb BS too...
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Why! The standard way to write a date in France is 23/11/55 ie 23rd November 1955, we never write the Month first, that's a pommy idea.
    The only thing we write wrongly is D EXTRON and D SPECIAL.
    Last edited by harrisson_citroen; 31st July 2017 at 08:19 PM.
    UFO likes this.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Roger, I recall reading a story about how a whole heap of engines were made early on and some of those were shipped to the UK for fitment. There are stories of cars with engines that were built some years prior to vehicle manufacture as (apparently) the engines were shoved into a warehouse and the factory proceeded to use the last in first out method as there was only one access.

Could be interweb BS too...
    I've heard this as well Craig, I'm pretty sure the story was recounted by a former employee. He told how cars came into Slough, were disassembled for painting and finishing and then put back together. It seems the guys on the line just grabbed the first engine/ gearbox assembly nearest the door of the storeroom. There could well be some truth in this as it was offered as the answer to a real question. There has always been an anomaly of later cars having earlier engines than earlier cars and this does sound a very reasonable explanation.

Thread Information