• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By seasink
  • 1 Post By David S

Thread: Citroen C5 2008 onwards

3CV

Default Citroen C5 2008 onwards

After many false starts my 2006 Hdi has been behaving itself and gives me confidence about buying a later model. Looking on CarSales.com I am inclined towards getting a 1.4 turbo rather than an Hdi as I mainly do city driving and only around 8k per year. I was wondering what the concensus was about the smaller petrol engine in what is quite a heavy vehicle when compared with the likes of VW Golfs etc with similar sized engines. Feedback, comments most welcome.

Advertisement

Hello 3CV
    The 1.6 litre petrol C5 was recently discussed in this thread

2007 Citroen C5 SX 1.6 HDI reliable?

I would think the greatest difficulty would be in finding a C5 in that specification. The old adage of buying the best car you can with the least financial outlay rings true - petrol or diesel if it is a good one, go for it.

In the meantime to see if you like how the 1.6 petrol drives, you are much more likely to come across this in a Peugeot 508. See if you can get a test drive in one of them. I thought it went pretty well and was certainly fine around town, but do go for a bit of a run around Tassie. Spectacular!

Cheers
    Jason

1000+ Posts

Only a small number of C5 X7s have the 1.6 THP petrol engine, most also have steel springs, similar to the Peugeot 508GT. Do you mean this?

The 1.6 petrol engine had some problems, mainly timing chain, water pump and thermostat. Check on these if you are looking at one. On the other hand the 2.0 HDI motors are near bullet-proof. Earlier models had the DW10B engine, later ones have the more powerful DW10C. I'd go for the last myself, even if you do small mileages. In that case, you must do some open road driving sometimes to let the filter regenerate.
    Greg likes this.

3CV,

A 1.4 litre turbo charged motor in a C5 is would be considered under powered if you are competeting in Bathurst 1000 coming up soon.

I had recently "borrowed" a 1.4 l turbo powered Megane GT-Line and I was very , very impressed as I was comparing it to our Audi 1.8T Quattro with a 140kW motor.. Renault Forum Test Drive (New) Renault

A 1.4l motor in a C5 is a means of transport from point A to Point B where time is not of the essence.

I would not hesitate with a 1.4 turbo charged C5 if I was not concerned with being the first car on "Pole Position" and making the most of it!

Regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by 3CV View Post
    After many false starts my 2006 Hdi has been behaving itself and gives me confidence about buying a later model. Looking on CarSales.com I am inclined towards getting a 1.4 turbo rather than an Hdi as I mainly do city driving and only around 8k per year. I was wondering what the concensus was about the smaller petrol engine in what is quite a heavy vehicle when compared with the likes of VW Golfs etc with similar sized engines. Feedback, comments most welcome.

PS: I have not in any way queried the availability of a 1.4 l motor in a C5.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JAJEA View Post
    3CV,

A 1.4 litre turbo charged motor in a C5 is would be considered under powered if you are competeting in Bathurst 1000 coming up soon.

I had recently "borrowed" a 1.4 l turbo powered Megane GT-Line and I was very , very impressed as I was comparing it to our Audi 1.8T Quattro with a 140kW motor.. Renault Forum Test Drive (New) Renault

A 1.4l motor in a C5 is a means of transport from point A to Point B where time is not of the essence.

I would not hesitate with a 1.4 turbo charged C5 if I was not concerned with being the first car on "Pole Position" and making the most of it!

Regards,

John

PPS: you can not compare a C5 with a Golf! A C5 is way bigs bigger than a Golf!

John

Quote Originally Posted by JAJEA View Post
    PS: I have not in any way queried the availability of a 1.4 l motor in a C5.

John

3CV

My point precisely, JAJEA. My son has Golf with a 1.4 turbo that drives beautifully but it has a few 100 kg less to lug around. I take the point about try before you buy but that is not so easy in Tasmania where the cars are few and far between. I will try them both when I find two in close proximity to compare but was hoping someone might give me a heads up before I go looking. I suppose I should consider the equivalent Pug which appears to have similar underpinnings at least on first glance, or not? If that were the case it might be a slightly more practical choice here in Tasmania, at least in the North where servicing options are thin on the ground, but happy to learn if that's no longer the case.

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by FNQ1000 View Post
    Hello 3CV
    The 1.6 litre petrol C5 was recently discussed in this thread

2007 Citroen C5 SX 1.6 HDI reliable?
    This may also be relevant:
    Diesel particulate filters
    There's is no 1.4l C5. The smallest capacity is the 1.6l petrol THP EP6. It's generally an OK performer, even for a fairly heavy car, but you have to be aware this motor has some issues that need to be managed as mentioned by Seasink. Also, like almost every direct injection engine, it is prone to carbon fouling of the inlet tracts, so it wants one of the specific cleaning foams (i.e. Subaru product) at each oil change to help control the problem. You just need to stay on top of this issue to avoid a substantial loss of performance and the dashboard Christmas tree effect.
    Greg likes this.

Thread Information