Berlingo - anyone taken gearbox out
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ken W

Thread: Berlingo - anyone taken gearbox out

Default Berlingo - anyone taken gearbox out

Hi All
    Any one removed a gearbox (2006 petrol) from a Berlingo?
    Just wondering if the driveshafts need to be completely removed, or if you can get by with undoing the steering and bottom ball joints.

Advertisement

Any tips appreciated
    Steve

1000+ Posts

I've made several efforts to get you the manual segment, but resource limit has other ideas. Later. Maybe.

Berlingo - anyone taken gearbox out-berlingo1.jpgBerlingo - anyone taken gearbox out-berlingo2.jpg
    translate.google may help. I assume it's the BE box. If not, another part may help.
    Last edited by seasink; 29th July 2017 at 09:43 PM.

1000+ Posts

Do a search on 306 gearbox removal ,theres a posts on there that should put u straight ,top right side of this page ,print in 306 gear box removal press enter ,i have heard that if you remove the callipers and hang them up on the springs undo the two bolts that hold the hub onto the strut ,undoo ball joint or remove pivot bolts from wishbone, remove axle with hub and wishbone attached ,you will also have to disconnect the tie rod end [steering ] and the sway bar ,all this with front of car on stands ,as mentioned in that post the long axle has a support bearing on it ,with two 11mm bolts that retain it ,also drain the gearbox oil b4 u pull the axles ,as oil comes out .not a bad idea to replace axle seals on gearbox wile u have it apart ,pugs , ps me thinks the 306 is pretty much the same mechanically

Shafts out k frame off. I've had them out in 2 hrs. Then about 3 to go back in. Plenty of room around the engine bay very easy job!

Sent from my SM-G930F using aussiefrogs mobile app
    406 D8 V6 manual

Thanks for the tips so far. Have the short passenger side drive shaft out, and have released the 2 bolts on the right side intermediate bearing and have the outer end free. But the shaft won't move thru the bearing? Hammer? lube? Any clues?

It's just s bit stuck. Whole bearing will come out on shaft. Spray in some inox/wd40 from wheel side and let it soak a bit. Then try a few taps on a screwdriver/cold chisel placed against the bearing retaining ring on the gearbox side. It should start to move pretty easy.

Outer end lobes of the 11mm bolts need to be turned so that the lobe won't catch on the bearing as it comes out.

Cheers, Ken
    UFO likes this.

Thanks Ken
    Got it out, was using wrong size hammer
    I did soak it a bit, but it took quite a bit of hammering to shift it. Funny the manual just says to slide it out!
    Is putting it back any easier?
    Steve

Yes once you have cleaned it out properly, it slides back in. It will probably be easier next time too as that will occur sooner than this time. Haha. Are you replacing any driveshaft boots as well?

Cheers, Ken

Hadn't considered boots, they appear to be in good nick.
    Car has done 188,000 KMS, synchro on second is stuffed and the clutch started to slip. The input bearing feels awful now the box is out.
    Plan is to have a bearing kit put in, along with synchro, new clutch plate and thrust bearing and see if the flywheel needs any work.
    Off to the mechanic tomorrow, only 300kms away.
    Steve

Fellow Frogger

The original input bearings had a plastic cage and that could eventually break, allowing the shaft to move off axis and destroying the clutch. From memory, the release bearing from a Xsara fitted and it was a slightly more robust part.
    If the intermediate driveshaft bearing feels gritty, replace it while you have it out. It can create quite a lot of noise if worn.
    Since you are there ... consider changing the clutch cable too as they tend to bind up.

Thread Information