Radiator Coolants - - Getting Serious - Page 3
  • Register
  • Help
Page 3 of 3 First 123
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Radiator Coolants - - Getting Serious

Fellow Frogger!

First a Happy New Year to all.
    On the subject of water additives, the old one shot Castrol was the go. Quick, simple and effective and may a thousand fleas infest the armpits of those who made the decision to remove it from the marketplace. There was 2 types if I remember correctly, [later only one] one for use in cast iron engines and a later formula for engines using different metals. The firm I worked for used to buy it in 120 Ltr drums and it was a pain in the rear making sure the fitters used the correct type, [along with all the different types of specialized lubricants]. Some of our bigger compressors and gensets ran about 75% green stuff to prevent overheating. Worked well.

Advertisement

So now I use Nulon concentrate and it's interesting to note it's not claimed to be anti-boil- anti-freeze, merely anti corrosion but it definitely does keep the water temp nice and stable on the highway parking lot. And it's recommended to suit Citroen, but with a new head gasket and radiator I haven't and don't expect to experience any heat issues, even in the Queezland heat.

I do a litmus check every service, it's worth the 10 seconds this takes.

One packet of litmus strips added to your condom shopping list will last a lifetime plus. That said, I've made provision in my will for any unused papers to be passed on, which thrills my 2 blokes no end, and 4 ltr of demineralised aqua has always been available at Woolworth's for under $2.
    So as usual Super cheep is a rip off.

Anyway, Stay Cool [pun intended].
    Tony
    Last edited by shanadoo; 3rd January 2019 at 11:41 AM.
    JohnW, David S, GreenBlood and 1 others like this.

For those interested in a reasonably long-term usage in a DS - I submit my experience with Evans Waterless coolant.

Back in August of 2016 I performed a full flush to remove every trace of water in the system of my 1969 DS21. Evans provides a product specifically designed for this procedure (not cheap as i'm sure you've already guessed given the price of Evans coolant)

I noticed some corrosion forming around the water pump i was replacing. The pump clearly suffered a bit as a byproduct of the previous coolant + age which i thought to nip-in-the-bud with a waterless future for my DS.

I changed the coolant and within a week received a call of my Dad's passing in Idaho...about a 1200 mile drive from my home in Los Angeles. A drive in August that would involve driving through the Nevada desert with temps potentially reaching 110F for long stretches of road. Very few services and (of course) no AC in my DS.

Reasonably confident in the mechanical integrity of my DS along with some fairly emotional "screw it" impulses running through my mind i decided to forgo flying to Idaho and jumped in my DS for a nearly 3000 mile round-trip trip adventure with my kids along for the journey. Did i mention there's no radio in my DS either? The potential for absolute disaster (and losing my "#1 Dad" award) was definitely top of mind as we left for the trip. Knowing that the Evans coolant would run at a hotter temperature was something that could have easily been the catalyst for a disaster over the 2 weeks.

Aside from two vapor-lock episodes which occurred while getting gasoline and while we were in shade (which we solved with pouring some of our precious drinking water around the intake manifold) our trip was flawless. My DS temp gauge has us running consistently in the RED - but we never suffered any boil-over, no lack of engine power and we burned almost no oil. 2.5 years later and the car still runs perfectly and the same coolant has never needed a topping-off or any other maintenance. I've driven my DS about 16k miles in that time window. I'm knocking on wood here but I believe this is a solid case study in support of waterless coolant and the compatibility for the DS.

Without a doubt any/all of my future (liquid cooled) Citroens will be converted to Evans coolant.

Here's a couple photos from the trip

[ATTACH]111760[/ATTACHroadtrip120.jpgroadtrip82.jpgroadtrip13.jpg]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    CXVingtCinq, SLC206 and gsowner84 like this.
    Pynhead
    Tumblr Instagram
    Los Angeles
    1969 Citroen DS21

More superb photos!!! Wow. That Nevada Desert is sensational.

More importantly, thanks for the first decent user's report I've read on Evans coolant!

Regards
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pynhead View Post
    For those interested in a reasonably long-term usage in a DS - I submit my experience with Evans Waterless coolant.

Back in August of 2016 I performed a full flush to remove every trace of water in the system of my 1969 DS21. Evans provides a product specifically designed for this procedure (not cheap as i'm sure you've already guessed given the price of Evans coolant)

I noticed some corrosion forming around the water pump i was replacing. The pump clearly suffered a bit as a byproduct of the previous coolant + age which i thought to nip-in-the-bud with a waterless future for my DS.

I changed the coolant and within a week received a call of my Dad's passing in Idaho...about a 1200 mile drive from my home in Los Angeles. A drive in August that would involve driving through the Nevada desert with temps potentially reaching 110F for long stretches of road. Very few services and (of course) no AC in my DS.

Reasonably confident in the mechanical integrity of my DS along with some fairly emotional "screw it" impulses running through my mind i decided to forgo flying to Idaho and jumped in my DS for a nearly 3000 mile round-trip trip adventure with my kids along for the journey. Did i mention there's no radio in my DS either? The potential for absolute disaster (and losing my "#1 Dad" award) was definitely top of mind as we left for the trip. Knowing that the Evans coolant would run at a hotter temperature was something that could have easily been the catalyst for a disaster over the 2 weeks.

Aside from two vapor-lock episodes which occurred while getting gasoline and while we were in shade (which we solved with pouring some of our precious drinking water around the intake manifold) our trip was flawless. My DS temp gauge has us running consistently in the RED - but we never suffered any boil-over, no lack of engine power and we burned almost no oil. 2.5 years later and the car still runs perfectly and the same coolant has never needed a topping-off or any other maintenance. I've driven my DS about 16k miles in that time window. I'm knocking on wood here but I believe this is a solid case study in support of waterless coolant and the compatibility for the DS.

Without a doubt any/all of my future (liquid cooled) Citroens will be converted to Evans coolant.

Here's a couple photos from the trip

[ATTACH]111760[/ATTACHroadtrip120.jpgroadtrip82.jpgroadtrip13.jpg]
    I wonder what temperature it is actually running. Those DS temp gauges are hopelessly inaccurate.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    I have started using this stuff recently.

its about $11.00 at supercheap. I just mix it with water from a rainwater tank.
    My grandfather said years ago they used to just use 100% glycol in the Renault 10s. When the gycol coolants first came out it was incredibly cheap, so they used to by large drums of it and use it pure. They were the only people that never had issues with head corrosion.
    seeya,
    Shane L.
    Hi
    I think I can confidently say that Renault had a product supplied by BP which was labled R70/30. It had 70% gycol and 30% water and anti corrosive agent in it. We used to buy it from BP in 5gallon drums. That was the same stuff used at the factory formulated by BP for Renault.
    The engines inside were always stinky and green sludge inside which hosed off easily to leave a shiny surface on the alloy and clean iron and copper.
    Jaahn
    forumnoreason likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    I wonder what temperature it is actually running. Those DS temp gauges are hopelessly inaccurate.
    I was wondering about that as well. Next time i drive in the heat (it'll be a couple months given the weather in So Cal right now) i'll get a temp read and report it back here.
    Pynhead
    Tumblr Instagram
    Los Angeles
    1969 Citroen DS21

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    More superb photos!!! Wow. That Nevada Desert is sensational.

More importantly, thanks for the first decent user's report I've read on Evans coolant!

Regards
    Glad to hear and thank you for the photography props. Hard to miss in that fantastical environment with the DS as your subject. Here's another one of my favorites!

roadtrip77.jpg
    Pynhead
    Tumblr Instagram
    Los Angeles
    1969 Citroen DS21

I got around the corrosion forming on the water pump with some water pump grease. One of the senior statesmen slash gurus at our club handed me an ancient big tin of the stuff, and I’ve put it round screws and other things when he wasn’t looking! Naughty but he doesn’t mind really. I haven’t seen the car for three weeks so will be interested to see if it is still resisting on the pump.
    it
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 10th January 2019 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Brain

Fellow Frogger!

I'm pleased that the Evans Coolant worked for you (Pynhead).
    I own a 1927 (British) Crossley and was keen to flush the system and then use Evans Coolant. Purchased enough to convert two cars over so after following the instructions carefully, the job was done.
    The weather here in the summer can get quite hot. I was rather disappointed on the first run as the temperature was running at a constant 90deg C. After that, on the longer runs the temperature was running at a constant 100deg.C . The engine bay was incredibly hot but the system didn't boil. As Evans isn't water based, it will boil at a higher temperature and it certainly didn't reach those levels.
    I was not happy with the high running temperature of the system, so made the decision to opt out with Evans.
    After flushing the system I now use Penrite Classic Car Coolant concentrate which again is an anti corrosion inhibitor. Now the Crossley runs at around 80deg.C.
    In all my other cars including the early ID Citroens, I run the Penrite green RCI 100 concentrate.
    I switched to the Penrite as the cost of $18 is much cheaper than the "ready to use" Nulon that is available at the local Autopro shop. They used to stock the Nulon concentrate which I have used for many years but now refuse to stock.
    Summing up; the Evans is a good product but it seems that the system will run considerably hotter but to go back to the Penrite concentrates means that I don't have the outlay of $500 to $600.
    Michael
    gsowner84 and jaahn like this.

1000+ Posts

Just checking through the garage re another query and found I did have some of those small castrol concentrate radiator coolant inhibitor cans, 3 in fact along with sundry other fix and plug radiator products - touch wood haven't had much call on that stuff since moving over to the Nulon concentrate years back.

Liked Pynheads practical use and endorsement of the Evans stuff.!Q

Ken

Page 3 of 3 First 123

Thread Information