Radiator Coolants - - Getting Serious - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Radiator Coolants - - Getting Serious

1000+ Posts

The other thing I've decided over years of these discussions is that all cars of an era have the same metallurgy in their engines and ancillaries so I don't accept that you need to use a manufacturer's special coolant. For example, it is suggested on the net a number of times that Glysantin G33 is exactly the same as another Glysantin numbered coolant (comparing MSDS data) which is commonly available in Europe, but G33 is coloured differently and sold as PSA OEM coolant. Of course, this is almost certainly true as I can't imagine PSA bread and butter cars needing a special coolant.

While I bought the Nulon G33 equivalent, I would have been happy to put any good quality glycol coolant in the car regardless of whether it met Peugeot's standards if I couldn't find the equivalent, because I don't believe there's anything about Peugeot's engines that's any different to other brands. Clearly I wouldn't do this is my cars were under warranty. But I just like to be able to get the stuff easily.

I'd buy the exact specification as per the manufacturer, however, if my car had an engine where the wet bits were made from, say, an exotic magnesium alloy.

Advertisement
    1991 PEUGEOT 405 Mi16

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

COOLANTS TO USE - -

RAINWATER.
    Holden motor as in forklift advice to Shane.
    Is this good enough to stop corrosion in DS alloy heads and rust inside my Traction engine ?
    Jaahn from Newcastle states --I would not run straight water in any motor, rain or distilled !! Perhaps if EVERTHING was cast iron including the radiator it might be OK. All other motors have some different metals so need something for anticorrosion prevention.

GLYCOL coolant concentrate (bought from Supercheap). Used mainly as ANTIFREEZE. Does this also stop corrosion as in DS alloy heads ?
    Shane says this can be bought from Supercheap
    I might understand that Shane means products like Nulon which have Glycol in them.

WHITE SOLUBLE OIL used as lubricant and cooling when working a lathe.
    It seems that this might be good in cast iron engines to stop rust inside ??
    Jaahn from Newcastle states - - WHITE SOLUBLE OIL. NO NO NO ! I tried that years ago and after some time the hoses all rotted and softened. Had to flush it out AND replace every hose !!

NULON LONG LIFE COOLANT
    To stop corrosion in DS alloy heads and to stop rust in cast iron engines ???
    I have been using this in most of the cars and now I’m concerned that I’m doing the wrong thing.
    It seems that this seems good in all cast engines and with alloy.
    PICTURE BELOW - -

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails
    Radiator Coolants - - Getting Serious-nulon-coolant.jpg

This thread is very helpful. I have revised above a little but it seems that the Nulon can be used in all cast or cast with alloy engines without damage. The comment from Jaahn about soluble oil is interesting as a little Morris 8 of Michael's has it in, as the previous owner swears by it. We might look at that.
    Michael and I have a stash of the Evans waterless coolant to do two cars costing $1200. This includes the preparation containers of liquid to rid the system of water or whatever so yes, it is expensive. Michael thought he might put it in the '27 Crossley with the Lagonda type motor but is still sorting the car generally.

Thanks, John, I'll keep reading over all the replies.

PS. We took the '68 ID19B for a run yesterday. Pic is outside Thomsons Foundry Castlemaine.
    This car is the sweetest car ever.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Radiator Coolants - - Getting Serious-id19b-31-7-17.jpg  
    Last edited by gilberthenry; 31st July 2017 at 09:20 AM.

1000+ Posts

Default Back in the '60s :)

Hi
    Back in the '60s I was working on Rennos, some 750s and similar ilk. The usual problems with the alloy heads and the alloy plates at the ends and behind the water pump. Sometimes eaten away almost completely or big pitting. Not many alloy heads and stuff like that around generally. Usual comments about foreign rubbish etc from the old mechanics. Water was the coolant of the day.

Then the R8s came out with their sealed cooing systems. Standard they had a special BP coolant R70/30 which was green; glycol, corrosion inhibiter and water. What a revelation when you pulled the heads off them. A bit sludgy looking and stinky but when you hosed the heads off they were sparkling clean and like new inside. The block and sleeves just washed out perfectly with no rust. We had never seen anything like that before !! Magic People looked at the results in wonder as it was all so clean.

Now the down side of the R8s was the problem if they developed a leak and/or some one just filled them with water. Because of the high boiling point of the original mix, if you only used water they would boil early and the temperature light did not come on. So some over heated them if only using water straight. Otherwise they were really good. Of course it was just the start of the new coolants coming in and changing the face of coolant for ever. Even Folden got into the act after a while !! That's telling you everything is it not !!
    Jaahn
    JohnW and Kenfuego like this.

1000+ Posts

Hi
    After a bit of Googling I came across this reference in a forum. It might be useful to some here who like myself have been wedded to the old Castrol small cans of radiator corrosion inhibitor concentrate that are now not available. The poster said that the Caltex concentrate is a similar product for when glycol is not required. I have no other knowledge.
    https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/...&docFormat=PDF
    Cheers Jaahn
    JohnW likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    I have used the Nulon concentrate for years in all types of engine at the recommended concentrate level without any sign of problems. In recent years after any radiator coolant change I have also used either distilled water or pure water (Nulon also sell Radiator & Cooling System water, demineralized water , in 5 litre @ $5 and greater containers) that is often on special at auto stores. The larger the container the cheaper the product.

Tank water with the Nulon concentrate is just as good IMHO!

Ken
    Ken,
    Have you or others who espouse the use of tank water in cooling systems have ever done a PH test?
    I'm thinking the effect cocky poo and the odd dead mouse may have.

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

As others have mentioned, glycol is not a corrosion inhibitor. Most glycol anti-freeze mixtures have corrosion inhibitors (Inorganic - usually silicone silicate). You can also add pure IAT corrosion inhibitors to an existing glycol solution, such as this.

https://www.amazon.com/Prestone-AS11...tone+anti+rust
    JohnW and jaahn like this.
    Cheers,
    John T.

61DS19 LHM BVH (son's); 67DS21 BVH; 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM EFI (Megasquirt); 73SM 3.0 (other son's)

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post
    Ken,
    Have you or others who espouse the use of tank water in cooling systems have ever done a PH test?
    I'm thinking the effect cocky poo and the odd dead mouse may have.
    Worse with possums....
    Kenfuego likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Worse with possums....
    Originally Posted by Wildebeest
    Ken, Have you or others who espouse the use of tank water in cooling systems have ever done a PH test? I'm thinking the effect cocky poo and the odd dead mouse may have.

Hi
    To be honest what is the point of doing a test. Next day anything may have fallen in and changed the composition. As my old man would say "plenty of body that water" But then he also would say to the family as we drove past a dead beast or similar "take a good deep breath, plenty to go around"

In the ol'days I would put out a clean bucket to catch some rain water after it had rained for a while. But in later years I worked where I could just help myself to distilled water. But really probably over the top for car motors. I would not be worried at all with normal 'potable water' if I had some proper corrosion inhibitor in there.
    Jaahn

PS I guess Castrol stopped selling those small cans as there was no money in them. They were always a bargain price.
    Kenfuego likes this.

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Proof is in the boiling and tea leaves.

Missed that bit about questioning PH of tank water. I have drunk a lot of tank water in the past and I sure hope that no one has P..H into it. Tank water makes a great cup of black tea, and unless you go foraging about in the six inches of sludge that forms on the bottom of rainwater tanks, (below the level of the exit spigot of the tank) the water itself appears clear and potable compared with the rusty, chemical laced water of most cities.

Then in most city water supplies they put that there fluoride into the chemical mix also and also pool chloride and that really mucks up the tea taste, but is essential to purify any contamination that exists.

I guess that could upset engines and copper /aluminium combinations in some engines and maybe that is why we NEED other "Stuff" to negate all that introduced modern cocktail of elements. It used to be said that in Melbourne the tap water was so pure, no need to depend upon rainwater, but Melbourne tap water has deteriorated in taste over the years to the point we filter for our drinking water. And of course I now use demineralized water in car engine coolant.

I do worry about the chemicals in "protective" coolant mixes due to toxicity/danger to pets etc, in an environmental sense and, the reason that I noted the new mixes that are said to be better for the environment in the link I supplied (perhaps no one looked) and they would certainly be a consideration, but then we have often been sold on some better but costlier alternative and later find out we have been sold an expensive toxic pup!! or IT has some other bad downside...

Rainwater can be collected as it falls on canvas and channelled into stoneware containers and that was always good enough to be used by battery sellers, but they tell me that urban contamination and natural rain acidity might make that collected rainwater suss for that purpose these days too, and demineralized water is fairly cheap at $5 for 4 litres and less at auto shops

I guess I could go looking for some PH strips, but their use would only be half of the story these days.

Ken

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information