XM (Series 1?) Window Down
  • Register
  • Help

Default XM (Series 1?) Window Down

Drivers window decided to go down on its own volition this afternoon.

Another quirk of the XM?

Tried a number of times, switching off, locking unlocking; LHS works OK, so nothing wrong with fuse.

Is there an easy / obvious fix?

Advertisement

Regards,

John

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

have a look at ebay UK. You should be able to buy a repair kit for the winder mechanism.... Actually for an XM it's not a difficult job... just fiddly
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger

That can happen when the cable rusts through and suddenly lets go and the glass drops by itself. The motor runs, but the glass doesn't move. I had this problem a few months ago. Take the regulator out, tape/wedge the glass up and repair at leisure. Early regs are different to late ones and the guide clip that runs up and down was sold as a separate part. As Shane mentioned, you can buy a cable repair kit or just do it yourself if you can make and swage a steel end onto a new length of cable. Do not operate the window any more as you will run the cable around the drum and do it more damage. I have stainless cable, some spare clip kits and also regulators from a 1990/91 XM if you get stuck. If it's certainly not an external electrical fault, remove the regulator and inspect it.

You will need to know how to remove the internal door lock knob thingy. It should be like Xantia and later XM in that in the unlocked position you se a small square opening in the knob. You have to carefully push the plastic bit in and down to release it. It should then slide up and out. We'll get to refitting it properly later.
    Last edited by David S; 28th July 2017 at 08:41 PM.

Shane and David Hi,

I do not think it is a machanical problem.

The glass seemed to have been wound down under power.

I am very familiar with the current cable "winch drive system used in modern vehicles" as I have just fixed our Audi A4 drivers window for the 3rd time. The cable guides that direct the 2 cables into the motor drive winch mechanism brake at the entry point and thus the cables are not uniformly directed onto the winch drum (as one guide only needs to break).

The window glass made no strange sounds whatsoever as the XM was on its way to an interim inspection for a VicRoads RWC. It was picked up some 4+ months ago and driven down from Sydney. [I have recuperating from surgery and now keen to have it registered.]

Changing the subject somewhat, regretfully, it is going to need a lot more work than anticated before it will be acceptable for a RWC.

One other obvious issue is that the Macpherson struts protection rubbers are completly shot and I was proposing to completly remove any evidence of their existance so it does not become an issue with the RWC certifier in due course.

Early Macpherson struts did not have the rubber bellows that I recall.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

John

Fellow Frogger

Take out the switch and check it operates freely. Does it have the rubbish one-touch switch with 4 buttons or just the regular up/down type? The regular one in particular can 'stick' or catch in their recess. This may help with the general switch design:
    Switches with LEDs | CitroŽn BX do-it-yourself

You want the gaiter on the strut to protect it. They are not a replaceable item like a regular shock absorber and it is actually a suspension cylinder. If the car has had the later strut tops fitted, the diameter is a fraction larger and you need the later gaiter (alligator!). Xantia has the same part. They are quite easily replaced, but it's a bit messy and you may need to make up your own tool to get the strut to let go at the top taper. The bump stops may be rubbish too. They push right up inside the top mount. These may help:
    Xantia Parts cherche advice!
    Removing Xantia strut tops
    among other discussions of the job. Same process in XM and Xantia.
    Last edited by David S; 28th July 2017 at 09:35 PM.

Thanks David.

Yep, the rubbish 4 button switch, I'll check it out tomorrow.

Are the gaiters available albeit from a later vehicle? I did not want to do too much to this Citroen as I have enough to do with my DS Pallas 23 IE. So be it.

John

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Take out the switch and check it operates freely. Does it have the rubbish one-touch switch with 4 buttons or just the regular up/down type? The regular one in particular can 'stick' or catch in their recess. This may help with the general switch design:
    Switches with LEDs | CitroŽn BX do-it-yourself

You want the gaiter on the strut to protect it. They are not a replaceable item like a regular shock absorber and it is actually a suspension cylinder. If the car has had the later strut tops fitted, the diameter is a fraction larger and you need the later gaiter (alligator!). Xantia has the same part. They are quite easily replaced, but it's a bit messy and you may need to make up your own tool to get the strut to let go at the top taper. The bump stops may be rubbish too. They push right up inside the top mount. This may help:
    Removing Xantia strut tops
    among other discussions of the job. Same process in XM and Xantia.

Thread Information