2CV windscreen
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 2CV windscreen

Default 2CV windscreen

The time is approaching when I will need to source a new windscreen for Gaston.

A quick trawl through the online supplier lists seems to show that 2CV is not a model that is on the list of readily available 'screens.

Before I start to work the phones I thought perhaps I'd enquire of this excellent Brains Trust as to who people have used in the past.

I'm aware that the screen is just a flat piece of glass and that I could probably have a lump of laminate cut to size, but given that I want this car to be (a) safe and (b) roadworthy, I'd rather source something that is made of a material compliant with Australian Standards. Maybe a big ask, I imagine I won't know until I start asking.

So has anyone had experience in buying a replacement in Australia, and preferably in Melbourne?

Failing that, does anyone have a brand new one just sitting there looking for a new owner?

And failing anything being available, does anyone have an old but intact windscreen I could borrow as a template if all else fails?

To quote Peter Sellers in a long ago guise of a politician speaking for 5 minutes without actually saying anything concrete: "These are all questions!"

Advertisement

Cheers, Pottsy.

(Oh, and the original one decided to discombobulate into very small shards just as a Mate and I were lifting it out of the body. The seal stayed in good shape though!)
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Next project
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

I've generally had a new one cut from an old windscreen in laminated glass.....

best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Hi Pottsy,

I used this company to make and fit a CX windscreen quite a few years ago and still going strong.

Cheers, Ken

2CV windscreen-moran-glass.jpg

Our 2cv screen copped a rock and smashed coming home from Raid 08 in outback QLD. A temporary one cut from a sheet of Perspex got us home and the local windscreen guy cut one from flat laminated Auto Glass. Think tractor replacement screen. The screen will have the compliant standard logo etched into the glass.

Steve

I had a new laminated screen made for my R4 through a windscreen supplier. It was cut from a flat laminated sheet, and marked with the relevant windscreen standards marking. So they can be ordered locally, just make sure they can perform the relevant standards marking of the screen.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I had a new laminated screen made for my R4 through a windscreen supplier. It was cut from a flat laminated sheet, and marked with the relevant windscreen standards marking. So they can be ordered locally, just make sure they can perform the relevant standards marking of the screen.
    Does anyone know if it is possible to get athermic glass for making a 2cv windscreen? Thinking it would be ideal for raiding...

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '73 Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

Fellow Frogger!

I had mine replaced by Windscreen O'Brien in W.A. they cut it to size. Mine needed to be replaced as the car was imported and did not have the compliance. If your car is insured break the windscreen and you get a free one. Did I do that? Of course not! :-)

JBN

The windscreen on Daffy Duck was cut by Windscreen O'Brien in Campbelltown. It has been through 2 Raids. Fortunately I had the old cracked one for them to copy exactly and I guess the apprentice did that perfectly. Apart from the cost of importing one from overseas, there is always a possibility it could be broken in transit or not have the correct markings for the Pooh-Bahs.

John

Thread Information