Ds off road?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Ds off road?

Default Ds off road?

Have you taken your D to places most people don't take their 2WD? I am interested in hearing about the experiences of anyone taking their D to places where people mostly take 4WDs these days - not anywhere needing four wheel drive per se, but for touring, gravel and dirt roads, outback - you know, the Aussie dream that comes second to house ownership?

Advertisement

We are planning a road trip through to mid-north SA and the Flinders Ranges in Daphne next year and would like to hear others' experiences (it's familiar country, as I grew up thereabouts). My parents took photos of a group of 2CVs in the far Northern Territory a few years ago, apparently they were from 'down south' scouting for a club run! I was inspired by that.
    graham66 likes this.

Those 2CV's would have been David Gries and mates
    4 yrs prior a bunch of us went up via coober pedy across to Innaminca? birdsvile,winton etc ending up in Cairns
    love nth SA...true desert country
    prepared properly the 2CV did it with aplomb...without a snorkel we couldn't do water crossings though but the time of year was perfect and we didn't have that issue
    I'm sure a D would be fine...just get an oil bath filter on her and a sump/petrol tank guard underneath
    let your tyre pressures down when on the dirt/rough stuff and drive to the conditions and that should see you right
    preparation is Key
    MelanieYlang likes this.
    Rev. Dogboy

1952 French 11BL
    Citroen 1960 French ID19
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1970 DS21 Cabrio replica
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1979 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Lucien Bianchi did just fine in a DS21 across the worst our outback has to offer in 1967, competing in the London -Sydney!
    MelanieYlang, UFO and jaahn like this.
    Cheers Gerry

And make sure the boot seal gasket is in good shape, or you'll soon be driving with half a ton of dirt in it
    UFO and MelanieYlang like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
    And make sure the boot seal gasket is in good shape, or you'll soon be driving with half a ton of dirt in it
    That there might be a sticking point!

Dees are good on bad roads and rough tracks. If I was home and not touring Ireland I could scan some old photos of you of me and my Dees in some pretty isolated places. I have taken them through deep ruts, muddy holes and rough tracks, often without another vehicle for backup. Only once have I turned back, worried about how muddy the "track" was becoming past the Cape Palliser lighthouse in southern Wairarapa. The ability to increase ground clearance helps a lot, and the front wheel drive provides good traction because the engine puts weight over the drive wheels. If you are trying to climb a steep hill the front wheel drive is not as good as rear wheel drive, and once on a rough track just off the Danseys Pass road I could not get enough traction going forward so I had to reverse up the hill. Once I tore off the front under tray on a badly rutted part of the Old Dunstan Trail.

Roger
    MelanieYlang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    Lucien Bianchi did just fine in a DS21 across the worst our outback has to offer in 1967, competing in the London -Sydney!
    He surely did. Should have won it. "Maintain the rage" I say.

Here he is near the Blinman road coming east on the Moralana Scenic Drive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ds off road?-bianchi-ds21-1968-03.jpg  
    Vincenzo, UFO, jaahn and 2 others like this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Those of us old enough to remember these cars new will also remember planning trips to find roads that were sealed! Even the Hume Highway was unsealed in part.

I have driven over highways in NSW that were two parallel lines of wheel tracks with gates to open and close. Nothing unsealed today compares.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    He surely did. Should have won it. "Maintain the rage" I say.

Here he is near the Blinman road coming east on the Moralana Scenic Drive.
    Ripper photo, John, thanks for posting it

Of course I knew about this race (what new D owner hasn't researched), and figured Ds would be great dirt road tourers, but they're also relatively old (as folks keep reminding me!) I suppose any properly prepared car has a good shot, and a D even more so with the ability to be raised for better clearance, as Roger mentions in his great story.

Sent from my D6503 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    Dees are good on bad roads and rough tracks. If I was home and not touring Ireland I could scan some old photos of you of me and my Dees in some pretty isolated places. I have taken them through deep ruts, muddy holes and rough tracks, often without another vehicle for backup. Only once have I turned back, worried about how muddy the "track" was becoming past the Cape Palliser lighthouse in southern Wairarapa. The ability to increase ground clearance helps a lot, and the front wheel drive provides good traction because the engine puts weight over the drive wheels. If you are trying to climb a steep hill the front wheel drive is not as good as rear wheel drive, and once on a rough track just off the Danseys Pass road I could not get enough traction going forward so I had to reverse up the hill. Once I tore off the front under tray on a badly rutted part of the Old Dunstan Trail.

Roger
    Hi Roger,

We had to make a quick trip to Warrnambool last week and I was going to contact you, sounds like you wouldn't have been available anyway.

That's a great story, and of course I should have known a D is made for back road exploration, albeit backwards uphill at times!!

Melanie,

The only roads your (the) D will not handle are roads that are off the beaten track and are not "roads per se" but tracks that have been stuffed, literally stuffed up by 4WD enthusiants that are out to prove that a 4WD can tackle any road in any inclement weather condition and in doing so cause humongous ruts that channel the water to become ever bigger become ruts that even the D's suspension fully exented can not cope!

Enjoy your D (and forget about the Rover).

Best regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieYlang View Post
    Have you taken your D to places most people don't take their 2WD? I am interested in hearing about the experiences of anyone taking their D to places where people mostly take 4WDs these days - not anywhere needing four wheel drive per se, but for touring, gravel and dirt roads, outback - you know, the Aussie dream that comes second to house ownership?

We are planning a road trip through to mid-north SA and the Flinders Ranges in Daphne next year and would like to hear others' experiences (it's familiar country, as I grew up thereabouts). My parents took photos of a group of 2CVs in the far Northern Territory a few years ago, apparently they were from 'down south' scouting for a club run! I was inspired by that.
    UFO, JohnW and GRAHAM WALLIS like this.

Roger, maybe when you return you might scan them and post a story on a new thread for everyone? Might be the inspiration some would appreciate.

Sent from my D6503 using aussiefrogs mobile app

1000+ Posts

Here's the Hume in the 60s. Plenty of Ds would have driven it.Morris Minors killed it.
    Ds off road?-hume-hwy-60s.jpg
    And a little earlier in 1956. Just in time for a DS.
    Ds off road?-hume-highway-1956.jpg
    MelanieYlang and jaahn like this.

Thank God I'm a Frenchman harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Your title "DS off road" says it all. Yes indeed , nowadays most DS's are off the road most off the time - getting repaired......
    MelanieYlang likes this.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

WLB

And very nearly won.

Ds off road?-ds.jpg Ds off road?-bianchi.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Those of us old enough to remember these cars new will also remember planning trips to find roads that were sealed! Even the Hume Highway was unsealed in part.

I have driven over highways in NSW that were two parallel lines of wheel tracks with gates to open and close. Nothing unsealed today compares.
    Try Menindee to Ivanhoe.... No gates, I'll grant!
    MelanieYlang likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

D's are fantastic off the road!! That is what the little lever on the side near the floor is for.
    The 1967 Paris to Sydney rally is evidence, and so is the first place in the 1974 world rally South Africa to Vienna By the team from Brisbane AUSTRALIA.
    Bounge and MelanieYlang like this.

UFO

Up to a point not far south of where I'm sitting

bianchi_crash the sun 17 dec 1968_Page_1 by Craig, on Flickr

They are fantastic off the road. Amazing on mountain paths - leave the goats behind, and at night, it's really where you get to love the swivel lights. Incredible on snow-ice.
    MelanieYlang likes this.

UFO

Here's Roger giving his DS19 a run in the paddock - all those years ago at McLaren Vale.

https://youtu.be/iqeyYlA8nrI
    Last edited by UFO; 21st July 2017 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Here's Roger giving his DS19 a run in the paddock - all those years ago at McLaren Vale.

Dang, that link doesn't work?

Default Outback in a DS

Hi All
    I was involved in the preparation of the route for the 1988 Raid Australia. We used a D Special stock standard in 1987 to do the survey run from Perth to Uluru, going down the Gun Barrel highway. For those who don't know it, here is a link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunbarrel_Highway . I also traveled in a GS for the Raid, anyway on the survey run we had an issue that most of the DS rally cars suffered and that is the front suspension arms pulling away, it was a fairly easy fix, once we got to Uluru we borrowed a hoist and re-welded the lower suspension arm bolt mounts. When I built up the Coupe and had the engine out I noticed that they were also cracked and welded and fish plated them. I have also done the same to an SM.
    Apart from that the DS is great off road, I have done a lot of outback travelling from rough and damaged bitumen to bad gravel roads, the suspension with good spheres is superb on undulation. I have frequently traveled at well above the legal limit on rough gravel roads in total confidence.
    I am using a CX wagon now days for outback work and find the same traveling and it is fantastic on gravel also. In fairness though I have rebushed the front control arms etc, where as the DS gives no issues apart from what I mentioned.
    MelanieYlang and GreenBlood like this.
    Wayne
    Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here you may as well dance

Citroen DS 23 Coupe
    Citroen CX 2400 Wagon
    Ford Territory TS AWD

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I'm interested to know what is meant by "offroad". If it's just rough tracks and gravel roads DS's would be brilliant. Your biggest issue is breaking down in a remote spot as recovery of the DS will be a big project (no suspension or brakes will prevent it being towed out like any other car). If your talking "wet" areas ... No, a DS is no good offroad. Eg: there is a lot of roads around my place I won't take a 4wd down in winter. I don't enjoy at all trying to get a stuck car out. Careful driving will get you through a lot of tracks .... If your smart alternate routes will get you around most risky areas. A DS in wet season up north for example I would consider as no good at all. Your not going to get through the mud

There is a big difference between 4wd only tracks in winter and summer. If they are clay base, in summer they are like concrete, in winter than can be all but impossible to get through.

same deal with sand ... your not going to do sand dunes or sand driving with a DS ... For example I sure wouldn't take one to frasor island ....

seeya,
    Shane L.
    MelanieYlang likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieYlang View Post
    Dang, that link doesn't work?
    Just try this link

https://youtu.be/iqeyYlA8nrI

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    I'm interested to know what is meant by "offroad". If it's just rough tracks and gravel roads DS's would be brilliant. Your biggest issue is breaking down in a remote spot as recovery of the DS will be a big project (no suspension or brakes will prevent it being towed out like any other car). If your talking "wet" areas ... No, a DS is no good offroad. Eg: there is a lot of roads around my place I won't take a 4wd down in winter. I don't enjoy at all trying to get a stuck car out. Careful driving will get you through a lot of tracks .... If your smart alternate routes will get you around most risky areas. A DS in wet season up north for example I would consider as no good at all. Your not going to get through the mud

There is a big difference between 4wd only tracks in winter and summer. If they are clay base, in summer they are like concrete, in winter than can be all but impossible to get through.

same deal with sand ... your not going to do sand dunes or sand driving with a DS ... For example I sure wouldn't take one to frasor island ....

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Got to agree with Shane on that one, last year i was towing some wrecks around the paddock at my Old Man's and used an old box trailer with the front end of CX's on it minus engine/ trans/ wheels and the rear wheels dragging along behind. The CX Wagon I had tow it ok but had to use some boards to stop getting bogged. It took a couple of hours but it did work, two weeks ago I did the same thing with my AWD Ford Territory and it took half an hour. AWD does make a difference.
    What was said previous about going in reverse is true, done it many times. I usually only go one notch up on the suspension to get higher but still have suspension, if it bogs in, I reverse up and raise the height and try again. With out any suspension it gets very bouncy.
    MelanieYlang likes this.
    Wayne
    Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here you may as well dance

Citroen DS 23 Coupe
    Citroen CX 2400 Wagon
    Ford Territory TS AWD

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information