Ds off road? - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Ds off road?

Hi Wayne d coupe,

that's a good recommendation for Ds, GSes and CXs - I looked up 1988 Raid Australia online and found the fantastic website, and see also the 2016 Raid was in Arnhem Land...I'm guessing this is what the '2CV scouts' my parents encountered were scouting for.

Advertisement

Hi Shane,

like I said at the start, I'm not thinking we'd travel anywhere needing four wheel drive per se, but for touring, gravel and dirt roads - certainly not rutted muddy roads or deep mud (I don't even like that in a full-size 4WD!), and probably not sand either. You make a great point about recovery, I hadn't actually thought about not being towable; we aren't planning on travelling with others, so we wouldn't be taking many risks.

We do have a lot of sand around here, so we could get out, let the air down in the tyres and do a bit of practice with our 4WD for recovery! (Deep breaths, don't panic, being female doesn't mean you're not capable! Hopefully my self-talk will help...)

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Just try this link

https://youtu.be/iqeyYlA8nrI
    Thanks UFO - that's a great demonstration!

Quote Originally Posted by d coupe View Post
    Got to agree with Shane on that one, last year i was towing some wrecks around the paddock at my Old Man's and used an old box trailer with the front end of CX's on it minus engine/ trans/ wheels and the rear wheels dragging along behind. The CX Wagon I had tow it ok but had to use some boards to stop getting bogged. It took a couple of hours but it did work, two weeks ago I did the same thing with my AWD Ford Territory and it took half an hour. AWD does make a difference.
    What was said previous about going in reverse is true, done it many times. I usually only go one notch up on the suspension to get higher but still have suspension, if it bogs in, I reverse up and raise the height and try again. With out any suspension it gets very bouncy.
    Hey Wayne, great point about the suspension not working as you get higher up the notches - it must be tempting to rake it up to the top to 'make sure'!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieYlang View Post
    Hi Shane,

like I said at the start, I'm not thinking we'd travel anywhere needing four wheel drive per se, but for touring, gravel and dirt roads - certainly not rutted muddy roads or deep mud (I don't even like that in a full-size 4WD!), and probably not sand either. You make a great point about recovery, I hadn't actually thought about not being towable; we aren't planning on travelling with others, so we wouldn't be taking many risks.

We do have a lot of sand around here, so we could get out, let the air down in the tyres and do a bit of practice with our 4WD for recovery! (Deep breaths, don't panic, being female doesn't mean you're not capable! Hopefully my self-talk will help...)
    If your going 4wd'ing ... go with a group. Ask around your local 4wd clubs. I reckon I'd learn a lot myself if I went on a few outings with them. I haven't done any sand driving myself, I don't want to risk loosing my cars to the ocean.

If I was taking a DS to a remote area, I'd be spending some $$$ on it before I left. I'd check the front suspension mounts were welded up, have the radiator re-cored, fit a new water pump, replace the coolant hoses (incluing the lower metal elbow) ... And fit new tires, you don't won't old tires delaminating. You would also want to make sure all the hydraulic lines are correctly bolted down, and none are hanging down. Anything that could be "caught" by stick or rocks should be checked and tied up. I can fix most stuff on the side of the road though.

There is nothing wrong with a DS .. infact I reckon they'd be better than a CX offroad. You don't have that massively heavy nose coming down like a sledge hammer if you take drop aways at speed (though CX's have absolutely staggering amounts of traction for a 2wd vehicle).
    d coupe and MelanieYlang like this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieYlang View Post
    Hey Wayne, great point about the suspension not working as you get higher up the notches - it must be tempting to rake it up to the top to 'make sure'!
    Hi MelanieYlang
    Not not really, once your on hi jack as you have no suspension at all, the car gets very bouncy as its only the tyres absorbing impact. Give it a shot and see what I mean
    MelanieYlang likes this.
    Wayne
    Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here you may as well dance

Citroen DS 23 Coupe
    Citroen CX 2400 Wagon
    Ford Territory TS AWD

Bernie Rachelle took his DSpecial on a solo trip around Australia a few years ago, with no problems. But he prepared it well and left a set of rebuilt spare components in his workshop and told his friend Gricy where everything was, so if anything broke down he could call Gricy and have the replacement piece posted to him.

Roger
    MelanieYlang likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Until he ran into a couple of drunken coppers in a Mini

Bloody marathon was won by a Hillman Hunter, of all things

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    Lucien Bianchi did just fine in a DS21 across the worst our outback has to offer in 1967, competing in the London -Sydney!
    MelanieYlang and jaahn like this.

Any normal unpaved road is a treat for a DS driver I think. Just bring a cell phone and some water. If all pipes are good the car is no more likely to stop than any other car, and will be more fun to drive on gravel than most.
    MelanieYlang likes this.
    -74 DS23 bvh, -78 CXgti, -85 CXgtiT1

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Watkins View Post

Andrew
    Maintain the rage.

The NSW police chased the Mini directly towards the approaching rally cars!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Maintain the rage.

The NSW police chased the Mini directly towards the approaching rally cars!
    I haven't checked it but from distant memory of reports of the time, I thought it was claimed the Mini itself was being driven by someone associated with the Police Force? I think there were also (unproven) claims of alcohol?

Or are these furphys?

1000+ Posts

Default C5 !

Hi
    Some years ago we had to go down south for some sad family business in our C5 petrol.
    Coming back we decided to go out to Lake Mungo for a look. Perfect car for the drive really, a hydraulic Citroen. Those long unsealed roads are a piece of cake at the speed limit or even a bit more. I gave up slowing down for the ramps, just lift a bit as you go over. Keep a careful watch for big holes and washouts.

I said this on another thread, I often think as I drive my big Mercedes camper on the bad roads outback that a hydraulic Citroen would be the perfect car for the roads out there. Having a compliant suspension means the shocks are minimised and being able to lift a bit helps also. Go for it !!
    Jaahn
    MelanieYlang likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Did a journey in the outback some years ago driving a 5 Speed 23 DS. I took this opportunity as my wife and I were travelling in convoy with (Citroen Mechanic) Ian Steele driving an "23 Safari.
    One highlight was a river crossing we couldn't avoid up in the NT. We tied tarps to the front so we'd make a bow wave. Ian went across first. The old concrete crossing had broken away under the flowing water making the depth just over half a metre. He did it in one go, being a real pro, as he had experience driving Dees in the Sth African rally years before.
    "My Turn". All went fine till I hit the concrete near the other side. Engine snuffed and water pouring in. Got the engine running again and gave it good revs and it jumped up with a bump (being on the high setting) and I drove out. Opened the doors with water gushing out and our clothes etc floating in the boot.
    Good entertainment for the Grey Nomads! We spent a couple of hours getting rid of the water and then draining the gearbox to put in fresh oil.
    We drove 12000KM on dirt roads. Up to the beautiful waters of Kalumbaroo catching fish and feasting on oysters "the girls" had gathered from the rocks. The Gibb River Road with its beautiful gorges in the Kimberley.
    So much beauty ...... but to do it in a Citroen, is something else.
    Coming across to Derby and then Broome ..... traffic lights, supermarkets, resorts ..... "let's get the hell out of here". Down the coast, stopping at beaches "to die for" and down to Port Headland.
    We all wanted to head for the remote outback again so due east for Marble Bar. "fences slowly disappearing". Headed to the Southern end of the Canning Stock Route and travelling in a lot of sand, travelled as far as well 4. Leaving Wiluna and heading East on the Gunbarrel Highway negotiating deep ruts and continuous sand. "Not for the fainthearted".
    This desert. not as pretty as on the Streslekie Track or the Oodnadatta Track but a silent beauty of its own.
    Civilisation, a few fences and the Aboriginal Community of Docker River.
    To travel Northward and see The Olgas shimmering in the distance, is an awesome sight.
    Then Uluru .... tour buses, areas decked with white clothed tables .... champagne, fireworks at night ... oh what the hell .... let the tourists enjoy this magnificent Rock in the way that they enjoy.
    We'd been travelling the outback in the DS Citroens experiencing "the trip of a lifetime". I speak for myself and my wife who has sadly passed away. Ian and Helen have driven their Safari on many more adventures.
    Only problem that stopped the car was a loose coil wire. Yes... the cars were very well prepared and we carried spares that were not required and we travelled with a qualified Citroen mechanic.
    Funny really .... I've got this plastic breadboard that has this skid mark, melted into it. It was used to raise the car when I got bogged on the gunbarrel. I slowed down and lost my nerve. "Got to keep the bloody thing moving Michael". You know how you do it. Raise the DS on full height, put the stands on plastic bread boards, throw the lever to low setting, wheels go up . put bread boards under the tyres and do this till you're up on top of the sand. Quite easy really .... just takes time. Then hit the accelerator and drive to a firm area and retrieve the gear .... my plastic breadboard with the skid mark.
    That breadboard should be buried with me when I die. It's a great reminder that these cars are not just a thing of beauty.
    "See the Kimberley before you die" ..... Michael
    "See the Kimberley before you Die" ..... Michael

Wow, Michael. What a trip! I know most of those places...... Memories eh? Thanks so much for sharing.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Jaahn and IDear, thanks for the inspiration! I don't anticipate taking my D (or any car) to places so remote, but it's awesome to hear that you can. I would love to see the look on people's faces as they saw you arriving in your D!

Sent from my D6503 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Watkins View Post

Andrew
    I still think it was a paid setup by the Brits. Can't have those damn froggy's winning in the Empire, wot!
    MelanieYlang and UFO like this.
    DS23 Pallas BVM Vert Argente - in ground up restoration, soon to be BVH.
    DSpecial 4speed Beige Vanneau, previous ; XM 2.0, maroon, my first.
    And a variety of the usual crapboxes before seeing the light. Except my Mini Cooper with the 3.4 cam and twin webers - that wasn't a POS.

Bikes -
    Ducati GTS860, CB350, XT550, Z500, T250, XR200, ag90.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    I still think it was a paid setup by the Brits. Can't have those damn froggy's winning in the Empire, wot!
    There were also rumors abounding that it was a set up by the bookies as there was a large pay out if Bianchi had won. Rumors, rumors, rumors
    Wayne
    Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here you may as well dance

Citroen DS 23 Coupe
    Citroen CX 2400 Wagon
    Ford Territory TS AWD

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information