• 2 Post By Greg
  • 1 Post By David S
  • 1 Post By seasink
  • 1 Post By Ken W
  • 1 Post By UFO

Thread: C5 2014 engine undercover

Tadpole

Default C5 2014 engine undercover

The main engine undercover is missing on our '14 C5 diesel sedan. Probably left behind in a service, as per previous owner.

How 'necessary' is it? ... protection, road noise, aerodynamics ...?

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

More than a handful of country cars no longer have one. The main function is to smooth airflow underneath and reduce noise at high speed. In Russia and eastern Europe they fit a steel bashplate instead.
    UFO likes this.

Hi Guys,

I removed the under shield on our 2006 C5 HDI mainly to try and find the source of an oil leak, and it was never refitted.

It was immediate noticeable the the car was much noisier, and more noticeable at very low speeds.

Outside the car was noisier as well, and you could hear the engine noise bouncing off the driveway.

The fitment of these panels seems to vary according to the model of the car, and specifications ordered from the factory for the specific country. Price plays a significant influence.

Our Diesel Berlingo is obviously built to meet a target price, and has no particle filter or under shield. I order an under shield in and fitted it, and there was a noticeable reduction in engine noise in the cabin.

On some model, depending on specs, there are different thicknesses of firewall insulation........Diesel cars also often have additional soundproofing fitted to the inner sections of the front wheel arches, and in the engine compartment it self.

All of these components, like the under shielding, cost money to both design & fit, so given the economics of the motor industry today, they wouldn't be there if they didn't serve a significant purpose.

best regards,

Greg

BTW, our old C5 HDI now belongs to our local undertaker, and when he goes away with the family at Easter, he had a big luggage box fitted to roof racks. Apart from being ugly, the noise is atrocious. He says it doesn't worry him. The last time i worked on his car I took it off, and stored it away in the workshop, the noise spoilt what is other wise an outstanding vehicle, despite it now approaching 300,00K

The luggage box also attracted a lot of attention around town, and the joke was the he used the box to pick up bodies :-)).
    jaahn and UFO like this.
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Fellow Frogger

That luggage box just needs to be black with handles and wreath on top.

Relative to the value of a 2014 C5, an undertray won't cost a lot. Other than the dealer (who might still have it), BM Spares or French Connection may possibly have one used.
    Greg likes this.

1000+ Posts

Eastern European type. Not only stronger, but easier to get on and off. C5 2014 engine undercover-c_1_2.jpg
    UFO likes this.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimgc5 View Post
    The main engine undercover is missing on our '14 C5 diesel sedan. Probably left behind in a service, as per previous owner.
    How 'necessary' is it? ... protection, road noise, aerodynamics ...?
    Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs
    Hi Jim
    I would even suggest that it was taken off because it was broken and hanging off due to getting caught on those small barriers they put put in car parks to stop your front wheels. Mine was in poor shape and i used a piece of thin ply to reinforce the complete front part so it could hold on there. I think you would be lucky to find a pristine one second hand. Not too important IMHO. But it does hold the bumper and inner guard plastic together down there a bit
    Jaahn.

Jim,

The undertray does have a couple of sound absorbent pads welded to it. If you drive around with the windows down much and get tired of the engine noise reflected back from the road, then consider getting a replacement and all the little 90 degree twist fasteners that attach through all holes except for the 4 x M6 bolts front and further back. If you are going to replace, check the threads your M6 bolt holes are in good condition. The dealers cross threaded a couple of mine.

Cheers, Ken
    Greg likes this.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Eastern European type. Not only stronger, but easier to get on and off. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c_1_2.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	98128
    Unless you're working with the car on ramps or stands and the panel has to fall somewhere.... Ouch! ;-)
    jaahn likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information