• 3 Post By gilberthenry
  • 1 Post By lozenge
  • 1 Post By gilberthenry

Thread: Bastille Day Run 2017 - Yea

Fellow Frogger!

Default Bastille Day Run 2017 - Yea

Hi everyone,

Advertisement

My partner and I took the DSpecial to Yea to meet with members of the CCOCA and the CCCV (along with the Renault Club of Victoria) to celebrate Bastille Day. Lovely weather, fantastic drive passing many classic cars (about 15 Porsche 356) before arriving at Beaufort Manor.

Thanks to Rob Little​ for organizing this wonderful opportunity to meet and see other enthusiasts.

I can recommend the drive from Warrandyte to Yea. Brilliant.

Regards Syd

antonio and MelanieYlang like this.
    1974 Citroen D Special (Blanc Meije)
    1989 Citroen 2CV 6 Dolly (Plum & Custard)
    1995 Citroen XM Series II V6 (Vert Vega)

(Previously owned Frenchies - 1976 Citroen GS 1220, 1997 Peugeot 306 XSi)

Fellow Frogger!

MelanieYlang, ajaxvte and 505604 like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Fellow Frogger!

By the lineup this was a great day. I imagine this was your longest drive in the Special so you would really be getting the hang of it. The grey, what looks to be an ID with white roof looks interesting. What is it ???

The black ID is probably Ferdi's lovely car. The Tractions and 2 CV's look good and ofcourse the Pallas - - and I like the little Renault 4CV as we had when we were kids.

Great pics !!!
    John
    gsowner84 likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi John,

It was my second longest drive in the DSpecial. I drove her from Junee NSW via Gundagai to Melbourne. I am absolutely smitten with the car. Unbelievable to drive. Great handling, wonderful ride comfort.

I believe the grey one was an ID19. Ferdi's wonderful ID19 Parisienne looked fantastic. Was hoping to see you there but you were busy with your own journey ��

So glad to see a Bastille Day run - I had planned to take Daphne out for the occasion, but she had other plans. Looks like a fun gathering.

Bonjour,
    Melanie

Sent from my D6503 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    gsowner84 likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by gsowner84 View Post
    Hi John,

It was my second longest drive in the DSpecial. I drove her from Junee NSW via Gundagai to Melbourne. I am absolutely smitten with the car. Unbelievable to drive. Great handling, wonderful ride comfort.

I believe the grey one was an ID19. Ferdi's wonderful ID19 Parisienne looked fantastic. Was hoping to see you there but you were busy with your own journey ��
    Interesting isn't it, how we go along in life and then something clicks - - - and we buy a D.

I understand people having new cars re traffic etc but often I think how lucky we are to be able to drive such luxury cars at little expense and when it comes to the DS, with such good engineering.

We see our D's as our modern cars that should go forever and then we play around with proper, old cars, with all there foibles, just for the fun of it.

D's - - - foibles - - never !!!

John

Fellow Frogger!

Hi John,

Completely understand the sentiment regarding new cars. Having sold my modern Mercedes in order to get a solid DSpecial, I feel like it has been 100% worth it. The smile on my face when I drive it and show it to people is priceless.

Mind you, I am becoming smitten with the Traction Avant.

Hi John,

Completely understand the sentiment regarding new cars. Having sold my modern Mercedes in order to get a solid DSpecial, I feel like it has been 100% worth it. The smile on my face when I drive it and show it to people is priceless.

Aha! He sees the light at last, me-thinks!
    gsowner84 likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

Hi John,

I believe the grey one was an ID19. Ferdi's wonderful ID19 Parisienne looked fantastic. Was hoping to see you there but you were busy with your own journey 
    That Junee to Melbourne drive was the day I cried in my cup of tea. Syd, your joy and delight makes me so glad I sold her to you. Hope you can get around to the seats in time.

Cheers and happy driving. Kevin

Fellow Frogger!

Hi John,

This Sunday the Castlemaine club are doing a run to Eddington. Looks like we might take the 1950 Lt 15 - - a completely different kettle of fish than a DS. I've just tweaked the petrol inlet to the carbi with fibre washers where it was leaking after doing the job when the exhaust manifold cracked.

I haven't really worked Tractions out yet. There always seems to be something needing doing but maybe I've got there. We'll see on Sunday. Michael's Lt 15 with the ID Motor goes beautifully so there we are.

John.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bastille Day Run 2017 - Yea-lt15-1-1950-17.jpg   Bastille Day Run 2017 - Yea-lt15-2-1950-17.jpg  

John, that's a nice car, but can you please mount the boot handles correctly? They should be horizontal when closed!
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    John, that's a nice car, but can you please mount the boot handles correctly? They should be horizontal when closed!
    I appreciate your concern Gerry. The car is sitting in the shed. I keep improving the tool box as I have a tool box in each car - - so while I am doing this the handles are in the unlocked position. I'm looking forward to the drive on Sunday. I don't mean to criticize the car. The rack and pinion steering is so good and Tractions handle incredibly well. Compared to the Vauxhall Vagabond that we recently bought the Traction leaves it for dead - - just like Holdens at the time. It's only things like driveshafts and the weaker gearbox that one needs to be aware of. But then of course one doesn't need to think of rear diffs, rear drive shafts etc etc.

The Tractions in the above pics seemed to arrive in Yea in one piece so there we are.

John

OK John, I was wondering if the handles were locked or not!
    Diffs are only 'weak' if they have been fitted with the multi tab lock washer on the pinion shaft. Of course they all were from new. These lock washers compress under shock loadings and lead to a loosening of the pinion shaft nut. This in turn allows the pinion to slog back and forth leading to the splines eroding the half locking collars behind second speed fixed pinion increasing the amount of back and forth slog. Once this situation has occurred rapid deterioration of the bevel pinion takes place point contact on the teeth under load and stress focusses on the eroded case hardening of the teeth. Under these conditions breakage can occur, a tooth gets jammed between what is left of the bevel pinion and the crown wheel and the gearbox case splits!
    All this can be prevented by throwing away that multi tab lock washer and using Locktite instead. TA boxes need to be stripped down and inspected and then carefully rebuilt taking the above precaution. They will then be very reliable for large mileages!
    Just retightening of the loose pinion shaft nut will not suffice as the pinion would then be out of adjustment for conical depth, as well as the fact that the damage to the case hardening has most likely already occurred.
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Gerry, I've printed your info off for Michael and I.

The day was great with the Castlemaine club run. Even had a ride in a 4 door Austin A30 !!!

Tiny bit of a miss so I'll ckeck plugs, points and leads which were all done so I think it might be points.

Some interesting cars at a skillful man's place.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bastille Day Run 2017 - Yea-july-2017-club-run.jpg   Bastille Day Run 2017 - Yea-july-2017-crossley.jpg   Bastille Day Run 2017 - Yea-july-2017-lt-15.jpg  

it was lovely to see the Sunbeam Alpine leading the Light 15
    through Castlemaine this morning.
    (growing up in Yarraville in Melbourne in the 50s and 60s,
    a neighbour had an immaculate black L 15, such a pleasure to ride in.
    alas, amazingly, he sold it and bought a new Chevrolet assembled in Fishermans Bend.
    my boilermaker dad had an unfortunate liking for Daimlers, spent most of his weekends
    underneath them.)
    MelanieYlang likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by lozenge View Post
    it was lovely to see the Sunbeam Alpine leading the Light 15
    through Castlemaine this morning.
    (growing up in Yarraville in Melbourne in the 50s and 60s,
    a neighbour had an immaculate black L 15, such a pleasure to ride in.
    alas, amazingly, he sold it and bought a new Chevrolet assembled in Fishermans Bend.
    my boilermaker dad had an unfortunate liking for Daimlers, spent most of his weekends
    underneath them.)
    Yes it was one of those special runs going to a country park where small gauge trains were running around and picnics to be had while talking cars. The car in front of course was Michael's '48 Sunbeam Talbot - - not the '54 Alpine sports car.

Never had a Daimler but have admired them.

Regards, John

thanks John, I'd forgotten about the Talbot part of the name,
    and was too eager to evoke the Alpine connection.
    the best thing about the Daimlers was the preselector transmission,
    as I discovered in the 60s, borrowing dad's 1949 DB18, it would withstand any sort
    of abuse and provide instantaneous changes. the front end was also very well engineered,
    much less prone to understeer than many contemporaries.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by lozenge View Post
    thanks John, I'd forgotten about the Talbot part of the name,
    and was too eager to evoke the Alpine connection.
    the best thing about the Daimlers was the preselector transmission,
    as I discovered in the 60s, borrowing dad's 1949 DB18, it would withstand any sort
    of abuse and provide instantaneous changes. the front end was also very well engineered,
    much less prone to understeer than many contemporaries.
    Atleast not boring growing up around Daimlers. We had the Renault 4CV and the '57 Chev and then Holdens of Dad's work - - no English stuff.

Regards, John
    lozenge likes this.

Thread Information