• Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By dsvitesse1
  • 1 Post By PeterMG

Thread: DS23 5th Gear reno

Tadpole

Icon7 DS23 5th Gear reno

Hi this is a first post to Aussiefrogs. I am seeking drawings and catalogue numbers for a repair to a 1972 DS23 Break gear box. The box is in the hands of a repairer and he is having trouble getting replacement parts for the fifth gear. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Peter MG

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Peter,

I think you would need to download the Factory (Technical) Manuals for the Citroen D Series of models.

If you use this link (https://citroenclassics.wordpress.co...rkshop-manual/) you should be able to download them.

I have printed each volume out and bounded it so either myself, or my mechanic can rely on it.

Regards, Syd
    1974 Citroen D Special (Blanc Meije)
    1989 Citroen 2CV 6 Dolly (Plum & Custard)

Previously owned Frenchies -
    1976 Citroen GS 1220
    1997 Peugeot 306 XSi
    1995 Citroen XM Series II V6 (Vert Vega)

Fellow Frogger!

I don't know how widely available spares are? Harry Martens over in (Germany) is arguably the DS gearbox expert. Worst comes to the worst you could try putting your shop in touch with him for advice/ discussion. A bit risky, but it might be more economical/ practical to source another gearbox and drop it straight in.

Quote Originally Posted by Budge View Post
    I don't know how widely available spares are? Harry Martens over in (Germany) is arguably the DS gearbox expert. Worst comes to the worst you could try putting your shop in touch with him for advice/ discussion. A bit risky, but it might be more economical/ practical to source another gearbox and drop it straight in.
    Harry is a forum member and may see this thread - very helpful with advice and definitely the go to for parts. . .
    HML Transmission Repair >> Home

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Tadpole

Many thanks for the helpful replies. I have located a drawing and parts details for the gearbox. Incidentally, I incorrectly identified the manufacture Year as 72 rather than 73. Some info obtained indicates that the 5 speed box was reputed by some owners as having an issue with gear whine in 5th from early in the life of some transmissions.
    It appears that there is wear on the needle bearing roller andthis may be addressed by reaming out the gear pinion and inserting a self lubricating sleeve? Also replacing the needle roller caged. Any thoughts? Peter

Fellow Frogger!

Good talking to you on the phone about your '23 Safari.
    This is a great forum to discuss issues you may have with your Citroen.
    Hopefully you will get the advice to enable you to repair the 5 Speed Box as this tall gear makes for great cruising.
    You mentioned that you have an issue with the engine. Again, don't hesitate to ask questions on this sight as we have some clever people that are only to willing to assist.
    Good to have you aboard ...... Michael

Tadpole

Thanks Michael. I have found your advice and guidance very encouraging, as did a conversation with Lance at DS Motors. Both conversations good sources of ideas and knowledge of options. THis Reno is now into Year 8 I think. I acquired the Safari from Bacchus Marsh in 2011 and wonder if anyone recalls this vehicle in Victoria, or elsewhere. It was formerly registered in NSW and had some repairs in Sale around 1984/5 and by Heka in Melbourne before being off the road until I purchased it from Mark and Colleen Foster ( from Mark's Estate). The Safari was white with the traditional grey roof and tail gates.

Hi, wining comes from or cwp or bearing in front. Wining in 5th does not come from needle bearing. When in 5th the cogwheel is connect with synchro hub on primary shaft and there rotates with same speed.

cheers,

harry
    GreenBlood, Vincenzo and UFO like this.

Tadpole

Thanks for guidance Harry. I have spoken to my local repairer and shared your suggested other possible source of the whine in the gearbox. He has been able to demonstrate the wear damage on the pinion and in the needle bearing cage.
    The little information I have about the history of the car suggests that it may have around 200000 km on the clock (or more?) and so it is impossible to know about the wear and tear factor. The wagon is fitted with a tow bar and possibly has done a lot of camping and towing work? Peter
    dsvitesse1 likes this.

Thread Information