• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By David M

Thread: New issue berlingo 2002 1.4 clutch slight squeal

Tadpole

Default New issue berlingo 2002 1.4 clutch slight squeal

Hi

ok so my clutch usec to grab a little high than i like for 5 years with no issues
    then the other day on a cold morning the peddle when pressed did not return so i manually lifted it up and everytbing was fine for a couple of days.

Then i noticed the grab point was lower than before?
    Then it started to squeal slightly when I press the clutch peddle down.

Advertisement

i would have thought that as the clutch wears the peddle would be grabbing higher? Not lower

I think its the throwout bearing being dry so is there a way of spraying some lubricant onto the shaft without removing the gearbox?

I can see the crankshaft sensor at the front of the gearbox and was thinking that if i remove the sensor and spray some lithium lubricant up on the bearing and shaft.

is there a hole if i remove this sensor.

A mechanic said to me that if i can get lubricant there could solve the problem as he has removed citroen gearboxes only to find out that it could have been avoided.

any help would be appreciated

Hi,

If this is the original clutch, I think it has done well to last 15 years and 100s of kkm. I can't find this model on Citroen Service but if the clutch system is like BX with a throw out bearing that rests against the pressure plate spring fingers, then I think what has happened is that you have grooved your way mostly through the pressure plate spring fingers and the bearing has now started to recess into the pressure plate spring fingers.

If this is the case, it is well time for a new clutch kit to be fitted.

Cheers, Ken

Fellow Frogger

The release bearings do let go eventually, but it's not the only possible issue with an MA5 gearbox.

If the pedal sticks down and/or you have trouble controlling the clutch take-up, change the cable to begin with as they bind up inside and it's not very expensive.

Tadpole

H and thankyou

might just do that , cable is way cheaper and easier,

Tadpole

Hi Thankyou for your help

pretty sure bearing sits on fork not the fingers.

It doesn't slip at all and can even do a burn out in 3rd

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Berlingo2002 View Post

It doesn't slip at all and can even do a burn out in 3rd

Probably not for much longer.
    David S likes this.

Fellow Frogger

You want to be a little bit careful with these early Berlingo gearboxes. Burnouts in 3rd aren't going to help it. The original pinion bearing had a habit of throwing out a roller and fracturing the case if it became noisy and was ignored. The whining noise could possibly suggest the input shaft bearing is on it's way out. Maybe, it has been rebuilt sometime since 2002, but be aware the original issue bearing had a plastic ball separator that can break up and then the input shaft floats off axis. The clutch will not tolerate that for long. Change the cable and see how it behaves before going further.

Tadpole

When i mean burn out , i mean it chirps the tires in a quick change , only tried it to see for slippage. It definitely doesnt slip and pulls well in 5th

Tadpole

Well i was correct to think throwout bearing , spayed lube up onto the shaft the best i could and noise instantly went away, for how long who knows but it was a free fix and if it fails then gearbox out,

Thread Information