• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: My new purchase. 1974 Citroen D Special

Fellow Frogger!

Default My new purchase. 1974 Citroen D Special

Hello everyone,

After many years, and many close calls, on 27 May 2017 I picked up the wonderful D Special owned by k_eeles. I had the fortunate opportunity to meet Kevin and Leigh in Junee before driving the D back to Melbourne. I have completed the RWC and Registration, and I have been enjoying her so much. Thank you to all those who I supported my pursuit, but particularly to Green Blood, ajaxvte, mberry, Le Parisien, John and Michael Paas and others. Finally to Kevin, thank you so much. I am the custodian of your car, and I hope to enjoy the Goddess for a number of years.

Kind regards Syd

Advertisement

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    1974 Citroen D Special (Blanc Meije)
    1989 Citroen 2CV 6 Dolly (Plum & Custard)
    1995 Citroen XM Series II V6 (Vert Vega)

(Previously owned Frenchies - 1976 Citroen GS 1220, 1997 Peugeot 306 XSi)

Fellow Frogger!

When will you people get it right. It is NOT a GODDESS ! It is a mere D Special. A very very lovely D Special.

Congratulations Syd on your purchase looks like a nice specimen very straight and the special is a good choice only 5 spheres carby and dizzy so no real issues can arise from them simplicity is the best policy. enjoy it
    Philippe

Quote Originally Posted by gsowner84 View Post
    Hello everyone,

After many years, and many close calls, on 27 May 2017 I picked up the wonderful D Special owned by k_eeles. I had the fortunate opportunity to meet Kevin and Leigh in Junee before driving the D back to Melbourne. I have completed the RWC and Registration, and I have been enjoying her so much. Thank you to all those who I supported my pursuit, but particularly to Green Blood, ajaxvte, mberry, Le Parisien, John and Michael Paas and others. Finally to Kevin, thank you so much. I am the custodian of your car, and I hope to enjoy the Goddess for a number of years.

Kind regards Syd

gsowner84 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fritzelhund View Post
    When will you people get it right. It is NOT a GODDESS ! It is a mere D Special. A very very lovely D Special.
    oooh! just a little bit of snobbery this morning. fritzelhund, you will feel much better after a nice lunch. I recommend Flutes at Cooparoo. Cheers. K.
    gsowner84 likes this.

Syd,
    if you are the custodian of 'my car' does that make me the custodian of 'your money'. Does that constitute a 'contract''! I don't like your chances of getting very much of it back.

The drive to Junee via the New England and the Central West was my delight. I would have delivered it all the way to Melbourne but the thought of Melbourne traffic and trams scared the living daylights out of me.

Glad you experienced the Junee/Gundagai road. It is one of the nicest road to drive that I know. I can also recommend the Tumut / Adaminaby trip or vice versa across the Range when you have an opportunity.

Just 'onjoy'. Cheers Kevin
    gsowner84 and kenlin like this.

Thank God I'm a Frenchman harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Well, well, well..... Here we go again.

If it can help enlighten some once more, I'd like to offer the fact that first it is not called a D Special, it is actually a DSpecial, as Citroen intended it to be seen. DS, get it .... Now I was born in Paris in 1952 and ever since then I have heard everyone calling this particular shape from Citroen a Deesse. The translation of Deesse is indeed a Goddess.

The DSpecial is referred to as a Deesse in the French speaking world. By what twist of Anglo-Saxon snobbery some continue to try and introduce a class system in the DS range no one knows.

Yes of course they have different levels of equipement, so do other cars, all other cars. But what a DS is, is the revolutionary hydropneumatique model Citroen released in 1955, in all of its declinations.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Fellow Frogger!

Hi all,

Sorry forgive my ignorance. I was not trying to start arguments. I'm just very happy with a wonderful DSpecial.

Fellow Frogger!

Indeed it is a wonderful D Special.
    Historically despite what M. Harrison Citroen might promote as general practice,the lingua franca, the factory itself was the entity that began the delineation.... hence DS and ID.
    A D Special is an ID with optional powered steering and in this market the optional "group optique" .. the steering/levelling lights.
    I knew my comment would reignite the old debate, but a D Special no matter how well preserved and presented does NOT have the real DS brake system either. This is all a rather academic discussion, just the thing for a sleepy Sunday ! I am aware of the DS BVM and DS BVH parallel argument. Is a non BVH car really a Goddess too ?

Check the identification plate. If it says DS under 'type' of course you can call it a 'Goddess' via phonetic google translate , even if it's the successor to the original ID or not. Good luck with your beautiful car.
    gsowner84 likes this.
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Indeed it is a wonderful D Special.
    Historically despite what M. Harrison Citroen might promote as general practice,the lingua franca, the factory itself was the entity that began the delineation.... hence DS and ID.
    A D Special is an ID with optional powered steering and in this market the optional "group optique" .. the steering/levelling lights.
    I knew my comment would reignite the old debate, but a D Special no matter how well preserved and presented does NOT have the real DS brake system either. This is all a rather academic discussion, just the thing for a sleepy Sunday ! I am aware of the DS BVM and DS BVH parallel argument. Is a non BVH car really a Goddess too ?
    It is spelt DSpecial not D Special by the factory that made it.

Like the French say, there is no blinder person than the one who doesn't want to see....

Sent from my GT-P5110 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Fellow Frogger!

Agreed !, but some of us like to see around corners.
    Enough of my stirring.

Fellow Frogger!

Just a passing and parting thought... nobody would use the word PALLAS unless describing a REAL Pallas. It is obvious the difference, yet there is a tendency to describe ALL D models as Goddess... and they just plain aint

Fellow Frogger!

Just a passing and parting thought... nobody would use the word PALLAS unless describing a REAL Pallas. It is obvious the difference, yet there is a tendency to describe ALL D models as Goddess... and they just plain aint
    LOVELY looking car GSowner84. That night time photo is pretty special too. I wish you many contented miles of motoring and many envious and curious stares..... I had an ID19b (the model before a DSpecial) and she was every bit my 'Goddess'.........
    gsowner84 likes this.

As much as I try and understand your perspective , the last statement muddies the waters even further.

The PALLAS is only a "trim" level in the range, not a type of vehicle. Whereas the GODDESS is representative of a specific and revolutionary vehicle range produced by Citroen with highly identifiable bodywork, front drive, hydropneumatique suspension etc...
    Pallas, Confort, Safari, Parisienne etc only refer to colours, carpets, fittings, etc....

So, whether they have a mushroom brake pedal or not, swivelling headlights or not, vinyl roof or not, bvh, bvm, bva,
    whether they are;

DSpecial, DSuper, DSuper5 DS19, DS20, DS21. DS23, they are Deesses aka Citroen Goddesses .

But I'm sure you know all that.
    I would just be interested in finding out once and for all where you guys formed the opinion that a DSpecial is not a Goddess. Is it something your read or saw in the 60's ,70's ? Is it hearsay or rumours? I have never heard of this in France. I truly believe it comes from the Brit and Australian side . Let's see what the Americans on this site think of it.

Fellow Frogger!

Well being an annoying pedantic little possum consider this !
    The term HYDROpnuematic I think I recall was a "later" change of phrase. wasn't the original reference OLEOpneumatic ? A far more accurate term after all a good dose of HYDRO does the system no good at all and was responsible for the evolution to LHM. The oleo reference is used in aircraft struts.
    I am also puzzled by the word CITROMATIC. I believe only used in the North American market ( does that include Canada ? ). I don't think it was ever used anywhere else.
    Agreed Pallas is a trim level, but far more accurately aimed and used, as the difference is easily spotted...not so the more generic Goddess... why not call a DSuper5 a DSuper5 or a DSpecial just what it is.
    Thanks for the conversation. I am bored having spent the afternoon playing camping trailer wheels.
    harrisson_citroen likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    As much as I try and understand your perspective , the last statement muddies the waters even further.

The PALLAS is only a "trim" level in the range, not a type of vehicle. Whereas the GODDESS is representative of a specific and revolutionary vehicle range produced by Citroen with highly identifiable bodywork, front drive, hydropneumatique suspension etc...
    Pallas, Confort, Safari, Parisienne etc only refer to colours, carpets, fittings, etc....

So, whether they have a mushroom brake pedal or not, swivelling headlights or not, vinyl roof or not, bvh, bvm, bva,
    whether they are;

DSpecial, DSuper, DSuper5 DS19, DS20, DS21. DS23, they are Deesses aka Citroen Goddesses .

But I'm sure you know all that.
    I would just be interested in finding out once and for all where you guys formed the opinion that a DSpecial is not a Goddess. Is it something your read or saw in the 60's ,70's ? Is it hearsay or rumours? I have never heard of this in France. I truly believe it comes from the Brit and Australian side . Let's see what the Americans on this site think of it.

When old timers would come up to chat with me about my car - an aussie id - they would invariably refer to it thus: 'ah, a goddess'. I think that's what prevailed in Australia, and it was always enough for me. How odd to go about trying to correct them. Must be some hipster thing. To me every D is a goddess, apologies to those who feel otherwise

Tim

Tadpole

Just out of curiousity how does the D special brake system differ to the DS?

Fellow Frogger

The obvious difference is the ID/Special lacks the extra brake accumulator in the front corner. There are other less obvious layout differences, but it is basically a simper system. It was adopted on most later models, so I guess this makes my XM an ID. Remember a Safari has the DS braking system, even though it's normally regarded as an ID.

Syd, it looks the dog's bo**ocks, marvellous.

The night picture just shows how bright the headlamp warning tell tales are, even though you can barely see them during the day.

I'm in the UK. I have a DSuper5. I call it a DS. The general public call it a DS.

And when you hit the pendant brake pedal, hold on to your false teeth. Even without the magic mushroom, they are mighty.
    gsowner84 and Dano like this.

funny how pedantic we become....as with the English language, common usage of words create a new vernacular
    This is true of the DS which had the simpler ID as it's stablemate...whilst the ID evolved to the DSpecial and the gulf between the two grew less there was still more than trim differences...
    I call any of these cars a D or DS so everyone can understand what you are talking about...How many of the greater public know what a ID is? In reality the only time we should point out any difference is to prospective buyers so they know the hierarchy of the line and what exactly they may be buying

Both the DS and its simpler sibling, the ID, used a punning name. "DS" is pronounced in French as "Déesse" (goddess); "ID" is pronounced as "Idée" (idea). An intermediate model was called the DW and the later version of the ID was called the DSpecial whilst the DS itself was always called the DS with only Pallas indicating a higher level above

all of us on this forum know the types so why argue?
    Vincenzo and gsowner84 like this.
    Rev. Dogboy

1952 French 11BL
    Citroen 1960 French ID19
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1970 DS21 Cabrio replica
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1979 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Hi all,
    I grew up in France and all DS/ID are referred to as Deese. No one makes the distinction, unless you're driving a Chaperon. Those guys are up themselves lol.
    I own a 1970 ID19 DSpecial and it has the mushroom brake, leveling and rotating headlights. I refer to it as a Deese.
    harrisson_citroen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cocoelguapo View Post
    Hi all,
    I grew up in France and all DS/ID are referred to as Deese. No one makes the distinction, unless you're driving a Chaperon. Those guys are up themselves lol.
    I own a 1970 ID19 DSpecial and it has the mushroom brake, leveling and rotating headlights. I refer to it as a Deese.
    In common useage people refer to any D as DS
    as an anorak,historian or from a technical perspective we differentiate between the types
    Any book on D's do not call a ID a DS...or a DSpecial a DS...not snobbery but a fact
    I find it quite acceptable to call any D a DS but if I was to write a book on the D I would be describing the car as it was described by the factory...simple really
    gsowner84 likes this.
    Rev. Dogboy

1952 French 11BL
    Citroen 1960 French ID19
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1970 DS21 Cabrio replica
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1979 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Fellow Frogger

If we call every Berline 'Goddess', should we call every Break/Safari 'Kim Kardashian', with a bit extra to tow around?
    MelanieYlang and gsowner84 like this.

Is the wearing of elbow patches universal across the entire range..?

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    Is the wearing of elbow patches universal across the entire range..?
    I knew I was missing something from my wardrobe. Thank you for the reminder

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information