Current CitroŽn (LHM) service in Melbourne
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ajm212

Thread: Current CitroŽn (LHM) service in Melbourne

Default Current CitroŽn (LHM) service in Melbourne

I'd like to get some pointers to current CitroŽn service in Melbourne. After it arrived in Melbourne, my car - a 2000 XM - was looked after by Mel Carey and co. at Citromotors and then by Elliot Beniada. Elliot too has closed his business. He's done a few things for me since but lives a long way from me and I don't think it's worth it to him.

The number of places with expertise in LHM cars seems to be shrinking fast: none of the people I've known over the years and who I would choose to take a CitroŽn to are still in business. Posts from others over the year or so paint a similar picture.

Some of things that the XM currently needs attending to, like changing the auxiliary belt are pretty generic but others, like the antisink (which is sinking again), need someone knows what they're doing. I prefer to find someone who's reliable and to stick with them so they get to know the car.

So any leads or experiences - particularly good ones - would be welcome. I live in the inner east but will travel (if I can!).

Advertisement

I also have a colleague with a newer car - a C5 X7 - who's in the same boat, so places he might try would also be useful.

Thanks,

Andrew
    antonio likes this.

I use Spencer St Automobiles in the city for keeping my 2003 C5 running sweetly. They know their citroens/peugeot/renault. I spoke to him once about taking care of an XM as I was considering buying one and he told me that a few customers had them so he must know them. They always seem knowledgeable, resourceful and reasonably priced and source second hand parts when cheaper/hard to get etc
    Tony is the guy to speak to.
    cheers (not the same) Tony

Thanks for the tip: this is somewhere I've never heard of and it would be very convenient too. Do you know whether they can do sphere checking and regassing?
    Andrew

Hi Andrew,
    I am pretty sure they can check them but not sure they regas as they deal with disposable sphere cars. They have replaced the rear spheres on my C5 once. I have never seen a CX or DS there but everything from a xantia on.

cheers Tony

Fellow Frogger!

Spencer Street rings a bell with someone who bought my sad C5 2.2 hdi. Said they knew what they were talking about.

Regards, Erik

You could also try Paris Motors in Appleton St, Richmond or Swedish Prestige in Oakliegh.
    Paris Motors have regassing facilities and LHM in stock.
    2006 C5 2.0 HDI estate - daily driver
    1981 2CV - current project.
    1930 C6F torpedo - My Great Folly! Can't wait to start work on it.

Try Paris motors they have been around forever,if you have a Volvo or Saab try Swedish.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Tadpole

Swedish Prestige are good on Citroens.... They sorted my issues quickly.... When a Citroen-only shop couldn't.

Sent from my Moto G Play using aussiefrogs mobile app

Tadpole

You could try Evan's Classic Cars in Box Hill. Was head of Bob Watson's before going out on his own. Evan is very straight and works on my BX16V's amongst other things. He has clients with DS's and is quite happy with LHM vehicles.

Can also endorse Tony at Spencer Street Autos.

Hi everybody,

I thought I'd let you know that based on the advice I received, I took the XM to Spencer Street Autos a couple of weeks ago. It all worked out very well. I found Tony straightforward and easy to work with. As people said, they service a lot of Citroens from Xantias onwards so the unique problems of Citroens from that time on are pretty familiar.

I thought the car needed a new auxiliary belt but there was also a problem with the harmonic balancer. They did a few other things as well and it's driving very nicely.

We had slightly different points of view about various items of preventive maintenance. Iíve been having the transmission fluid changed Ďjust in caseí which he feels is unnecessary. I was also a bit worried that I couldnít find any record of the coolant being changed. He checked it Ė still green, so okay in his view. On the other hand, he felt there were a number of things should be changed in the near future on a length of time basis even though their mileage isnít up yet. He seems to be organised about doing things together to minimize labour costs.

Iíll be happy to take it back there for regular service and the next round of things that will need doing. Itís also a very convenient location, at least until the building theyíre in is turned into yet another inner city apartment development.

Thanks again for your help.

Andrew

Fellow Frogger!

Happy also to endorse Evan's classic cars - has worked on my DS, 404 and 240Z, all well

Thinks things through and gives good well thought out advice, for example "you really need to do this" or " this will cost a motza, how much pain do you want in your life?, these are safe 'work-arounds' if you need to take some time"

Have never been ripped off and work has always been up to standard and well priced.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by ramana View Post
    You could try Evan's Classic Cars in Box Hill. Was head of Bob Watson's before going out on his own. Evan is very straight and works on my BX16V's amongst other things. He has clients with DS's and is quite happy with LHM vehicles.

Can also endorse Tony at Spencer Street Autos.

Hi Andrew,

Glad to hear you had a positive experience at Spencer St Autos. Tony (not me) was dismissive of me changing the fluid in my C5's gearbox, but I did and the box failed anyway. So maybe he knows what's best.
    Anyway good luck with the XM.
    cheersTony

Thread Information