Like Tree12Likes
  • 7 Post By UFO
  • 1 Post By STALLED
  • 1 Post By UFO
  • 3 Post By UFO

Thread: C5 X7 Gearbox Fault

UFO

Default C5 X7 Gearbox Fault

Friday last week I was driving to work and had the cruise control on (usual operating procedure) and about 10km into the journey there was a bit of a thump from the drivetrain and the CC cancelled but the car continued to be driveable. This sort of thing had happened before and a change of transmission fluid resolved it. That was about 50,000km ago. I thought it was time for a change of the fluid (drop 3.5 and top up) and I would get to it over the weekend. (Car is almost at 216,000km)

In the past the temporary fix to revive the CC was to stop the car and wait a few seconds, start again and all should be good. At my first opportunity I pulled to the side of the road and did the reboot Ė but the dash popped a message ďGearbox FaultyĒ with a symbol of the gearchange pattern. Hmmm, probably should turn around and head home and make alternate transport arrangements. The Ďbox was now locked in third. I realised I was going to be driving past Bombo train station and a train was due in a few minutes. So I parked and caught that train.

Upon my return in the afternoon and starting the car there was no fault displayed nor an error message when pressing the Vehicle Check button on the dash. I drove home and all seemed normal. CC worked etc.

I dropped the 3.5 litres of fluid on Saturday and topped it up. I didnít go for a test drive. On Sunday I had various things to do around town and drove the car as normal and even tested the CC and it seemed to be working fine.

I drove to work on Monday morning and all seemed normal. I had to go to Sydney in the afternoon and headed off up Mt Ousley etc and all appeared OK until I was on the F6 and on CC doing 110ish but about halfway along the freeway, near the Helensburgh exit, there was another CLUNK, CC ceased and I got a gearbox fault message but the car continued and I thought ďso will IĒ and get closer to Continental Cars (it was only about 4:10pm so I knew I should be able to get there before closing time). At this time judging by the tacho the gearbox remained in 6th gear.

I phoned Continental Cars and the lovely and helpful Mandy said ďbring it in, Gregís busy dealing with something else at present, and yes I should be able to arrange a loaner for youĒ.

At the first set of traffic lights I stopped at the gearbox dropped back to third and decided to stay there for the remainder of the journey. I made sure I did not exceed 70km/h which is great fun in Sydney afternoon trafficÖ

I was first off the lights in the left lane as we crossed over the top of the M5 near Padstow and halfway across the large intersection the engine decided to die. Fortunately, I had enough momentum to get to the side of a traffic island and get mostly on it. I attempted to restart the car and it wouldnít Ė just the engine frantically turning over. With hazards flashing I was grabbing my phone about to call NRMA for a tow. When I thought Iíd try the engine again and it started! OFF I WENT. Made it the rest of the way to CC and gladly parked on their forecourt.

Greg was of course aware that I was on my way and handed me keys to a C5 loaner. We briefly chatted about the problem and I left the car there for him and the crew to investigate today.

Advertisement

Opinions?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Well Craig,

I guess the way that oil gets dirty so quickly, the bands are not going to last for ever. It would be interesting to know what the Diagbox error actually says but it sounds pretty serious. I guess we will have to wait for the next installment. At least you have a loaner car.

Cheers, Ken

UFO

This boys and girls is why we support trusted and proven dealers.

I forwarded the original text from my post to Greg Bunting this morning and moments ago I received this reply.

Craig

Faulty speed sensor replaced and now ok to pick up

Greg Bunting

Deb will be returning the loaner and collecting our car tomorrow on an already planned trip to Sydney.

I am happy that I have not had to faff around, chasing my tail and spending $$ to try to find the fault.
    dimistyle, con, jaahn and 4 others like this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Craig,

I'm pretty sure Diagbox would have told them exactly what the issue was in this case. When are you getting one? Lucky fix on this occasion. Are you keeping it long enough to find out when a well cared for AM6 needs a rebuild?

If you didn't have Continental Cars, I reckon you would already have a Diagbox. Having a Diagbox with me in Tassie helped me to diagnose the C5 internal ventilation fault so that I could tell the dealer in Hobart what the part numbers were required for the repair.

Cheers, Ken

1000+ Posts

It sounds like a quick Diagbox diagnosis. Be thankful for Spiro as well.

Was the loaner the C5 1st series petrol 4 speed? It feels primitive after the X7.

Two questions come to mind:

- where does the speed sensor live, and how big is it? was its failure prompted by the use of cruise control?
    - why did you have to use the tacho to guess what gear it was in? Didn't the dashboard indicator show it already, or is that display replaced by the gearbox error?

That was a few more than 2, I know.

UFO

The loaner is a S1 V6 4sp. I think the car appreciated having a throat clearing drive from Sydney to Gerringong last night. It was a comfortable ride and zipped along well.

We needed the car fixed ASAP as we have US visitors next week and four adults touring around in a C4 would be a bit tight.

I'm considering getting a Diagbox soon - with the C4 and C5 both needing it for analysis it would probably pay for itself quickly. Does anyone know where the analysis port is on a D Special? ;-)

I have a spare laptop lying around that I could run up to use with it too.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Dijon16 View Post
    Two questions come to mind:

- where does the speed sensor live, and how big is it? was its failure prompted by the use of cruise control?
    - why did you have to use the tacho to guess what gear it was in? Didn't the dashboard indicator show it already, or is that display replaced by the gearbox error?

That was a few more than 2, I know.
    I assume that the speed sensor is somewhere on or near the gearbox.

I knew the box was in third as the speedo display told me so. I was just being wary to not over-rev the engine.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

A speed sensor is a hell of a lot cheaper than a new gearbox. Glad it worked out OK!
    UFO likes this.
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

UFO

It makes sense that the speed sensor was the fault. It operated fine when cold but once the sensor warmed up I assume it was going "open circuit" or similar and failing. Like a flywheel sensor on a CX 2500ie etc.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

UFO

BTW - I have the repair bill by email. Just under $400. They also reset the DPF fluid low message too as I recently topped up the tank but this does not make the message go away.
    CXVingtCinq likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts

I wonder if the Android App "FAPLITE" with a dongle would have picked up the speed sensor error. It has picked up some errors on my 508 with the same drivetrain.
    I've been meaning to post about this app and dongle. It took me a while to find a dongle that works.

PS the old crew are all posting again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa View Post
    I wonder if the Android App "FAPLITE" with a dongle would have picked up the speed sensor error. It has picked up some errors on my 508 with the same drivetrain.
    I've been meaning to post about this app and dongle. It took me a while to find a dongle that works.

PS the old crew are all posting again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sounds interesting. Please post!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Sounds interesting. Please post!
    FAP App for Android - check DPF re-gen cycles and so on

1000+ Posts

A number of OBD2 readers/configurers are available online for Android/Windows/Mac/Linux. Some are proprietary code, some are open source. I have code here in Python (easy install) and C++ (I advise non-developers to download that one precompiled).

Some electronics to convert to USB are needed, such as this device - ELM-USB OBD2 Interface This site has a link to some applications that use the gadget.

Diagbox is extraordinarily amateurish, and limited to Windows, but hasn't been surpassed so far to my knowledge for Citroen detailed information.

UFO

Drove the C5 to work and back today. Faultless operation.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Great result Craig.
    I had a bit of experience with C5 gearbox replacement last year with a friends C5. Foolishly we tried fitting the auto box from a V6 Xantia into a V6 C5. Waste of time. We figured the sensors were creating the mis match. Not sure now. By fitting a replacement of the correct type of box, all fixed as if by magic, without even fitting up the diagbox.
    During this process we took the front panel and valve assembly off a few times. We removed the speed sensors, there are two, a few times. All to no avail, but we learned heaps. So to answer the question, the gearbox speed sensors are right inside the auto transmission, and quite a job to replace, unless you do it every day. It could be different on a six speed box though. Maybe, not sure.

Thread Information