Strides forward with my 69 D. How to remove fuel sender?
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Strides forward with my 69 D. How to remove fuel sender?

Having done a bit of prep work, today was the day to remove the fuel tank from my new acquisition.. The only time it's not desirable to have a full fuel tank when buying a car is when that fuel is over 25 years old. 😣. So bung removed about 60 litres came out. Stinky rank old fuel. May come in handy for cleaning. Tank then came out super easily revealing an original dry rust free pan. Yay again. ! Cracked the in tank fuel filter out and confirmed the fuel starvation issue. The filter pick up was caked and baked with gunge. The fuel seemed to have separated and a tar like goop and crud featured. So the tank will go off for proper clean up unless someone can suggest a solvent to deal with the with bottom of the tank sludge. Maybe a couple of litres of acetone would be a more cost effective solution. No rust in tank so may experiment first before engaging a pro. Filter all cleaned up now with its 61 copper washers I'm keen to remove and clean up the fuel tank sender too. Do I just remove the three little bolts or is a twist required to freethe sender. Naturally I don't want to force it. Some guidance from brains trust please.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

Use water and a couple of jars of crystal drain cleaner (sodium hydroxide) to dissolve the organics. Fill the tank and let it sit for a few days, shaking occasionally. Fuel sender should come out if you remove the three brass screws (carefully so as not to round off the heads), but leave it in while you have the NaOH in there. Be prepared to make a new gasket at least (use fiber reinforced buna).
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks John
    I bought a couple of tubs of Mr Muscle. Only filled to about 1/3 with water to really let the Chem do it's work on the bottom of the tank. I've left it "boiling overnight". Even after a few minutes swishing the tank revealed Black brown water.

Hello, have you checked the inside top of the tank? Maybe with a mirror or by carefully feeling around the sender hole. Often the bottom is fine, but the top is merrily rusting away.

You can get USB borescopes for about 12€, plug into your laptop or phone.
    I have one, it's got leds around the lens, it works just fine. Very useful at times.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by badabec View Post
    Hello, have you checked the inside top of the tank? Maybe with a mirror or by carefully feeling around the sender hole. Often the bottom is fine, but the top is merrily rusting away.
    Thanks .. Rust wise there is no issue in the tank. However the top of the tank is also just as gunged up as the bottom.. I have done a second dissolve on the bottom with drain crystals. Buuuuutttt I think it will ultimately need to go be boiled clean at a garage. At $20 a draino flush, a couple of hundred to get it done else where seems feasible.

Thread Information