Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Greg
  • 1 Post By Don B. Cilly
  • 1 Post By Roger Wilkinson
  • 1 Post By Robin Hoffmann
  • 1 Post By Arekisir

Thread: sourcing a late model ds steering wheel

Default sourcing a late model ds steering wheel

Looking for any options is sourcing a late model ds steering wheel.
    The thicker foam one that dissolves after time is the one that I want.

Advertisement

I have the earlier type and have taken a fancy to the late model one.
    I have read about companies offering new replacement units but have not had any luck in finding a specific company.

Any leads appreciated.
    Alex

Hello, tricky, Der Franzose and Citroen Classics both list them on an exchange basis. They will be a pig to ship.

You may have to repeat the procedure in 10 years time

Good luck

Peter

Ok, Denton Christie at European Autocare Penrith has a new steering wheel.....They aren't cheap, as the European suppliers want a return wheel sent back, so we pay a penalty, & with freight for oversize, ads up.

The new steering wheels are better than the originals as they are a harder foam.

Ring Denton :02 4731 6522

Best regards,

Greg
    gsowner84 likes this.
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

1000+ Posts

I ordered through Franzose and sent mine off through Auspost, it was just oversize but my post office lady ignored that! Then Franzose said they couldn't send as it was over their international size send specs and I then had to point out they had my steering wheel and money so better sort it out. They came good but it was all a headache. Definitely see what Denton can do for you, or start emailing the other suppliers in Holland and Germany, Darrin at Citroenclassics? to see what can be achieved.

OK.....

German post is DHL, and Der Franzose used to be able to send fairly large parcels. I have brought in 2CV mudguards from them.

Last year DHL changed the maximum size you can post in Germany, and that now excludes things like DS steering wheels and 2CV floor panels..... Bummer!

But there are ways and means to resolve these things. Despite some requests to DF to find a courier that will take the larger parcels, they don't seem interested.

I have another supplier who will sell me larger DS parts, and send them via a courier, but you pay a lot more for freight.

All of Europe seems to be restricted with their freight sizes now, as I've tried Holland, and they still say no to anything like DS door skins and steering wheels.

But if you want to pay the money, I can get them:-))

Der Franzose is a great supplier, and their freight rates for normal parts are excellent, but there ability to rectify problems is pretty atrocious.

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Here's an alternative who doesn't require one in return. Don't know if postage size is a problem for them or not.

http://www.atelier524.com/en/1047-volant

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    74/75 DS23 Pallas 5 Speed Carby

83 2CV Charleston and an 89 Dolly (in NZ)

80 GSA - ready to restore
    03 Peugeot 406 Hdi
    01 Renault Scenic

Update, apologies as it now appears that they do need an exchange unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    74/75 DS23 Pallas 5 Speed Carby

83 2CV Charleston and an 89 Dolly (in NZ)

80 GSA - ready to restore
    03 Peugeot 406 Hdi
    01 Renault Scenic

Oh, I don't know...
    I have a '72 DS 21. Pallas and all.
    Lovely car, great engine, great everything actually, perfect upholstery and all... still, it was lacking "something".
    Then I got it.
    I found a pre-'72 steering wheel (in mint condition, got lucky), the one with the hard black tape.
    Driving pleasure went up about 300%, it's not lacking anything now

P.S. It's still got '72 (recessed) door handles, which I don't like half as much as the push-button ones, but the handles I don't really care that much about, the steering wheel... I wouldn't go back to the foam one for anything.
    Last edited by Don B. Cilly; 20th May 2017 at 10:37 PM.
    forumnoreason likes this.

1000+ Posts

I'd just stick with what is soecific to the car, waste your money on something useful like spare perishables, boots, clutch cables, Michelin tyres, etc

IMHO, you cannot spend, let alone waste, money on anything more useful than a pre-'72 steering wheel.
    Especially if you have a foam one ;∑)
    We drive these cars for pleasure, don't we?
    Now, is there really anything that will increase driving pleasure even remotely like switching to a taped steering wheel?
    Personally, I doubt it.

Hi Guys

Your easily pleased if you think that the taped steering wheel is better than the foam wheel?

While the original foam wheel was fairly soft, and eventually came away from the steel tube underneath, and fell apart, the later replacements (even earlier on from Citroen) is much harder foam and lasts pretty much indefinitely.

But I guess if you want to build a hybrid, then the earlier wheel is a good start. Maybe a long stroke engine is next? LHS2 after that?

The options are endless............... ROFLOL

The DS's that I've seen that are post '72 with taped steering wheels, all seem to say the owner has no money? Hmmmmmm

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    We Had:

For real DS cachet you can't beat an early taped wheel, with white tape.

Actually, you can beat that. A really early taped wheel, with skinny white tape.

Roger
    Budge likes this.

Hi all - thanks for the responses & opinions.

I have a couple of leads to investigate.

Alex

Fellow Frogger!

Has anyone done any research as to whether there is anyone in Australia who can 'rebuild' a steering wheel, perhaps with an optional leather covering? it might be cheaper and easier than procuring one overseas.
    Robin
    Trading Estate likes this.

Hi Robin,

The cost of producing the moulds, and the limited market in Australia would prohibit doing wheels here. For me, I wouldn't want a leather covering. If you have a good car then the leather would distract from its originality.

You could end up with wheels no cheaper or even more expensive, and getting the wheel right takes a lot of effort.

The is constant criticism of poor quality of some replacement parts, and this happens because the manufacturer doesn't have the huge resources that Citroen had to get the tooling correct.

The best thing we can do is support those manufacturers that are producing replacement parts for the DS. The amount of parts available now compared to the late '80s is incredible.

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    We Had:

1000+ Posts

Thread shift! The repro rubber is utter garbage compared to the original product, and that hurts when you are paying for it and watching it disintegrate. Grrrr. A friend here who once worked on rubber production in Malaysia told me Citroen reps were trying to get their formulas because they really wanted the good stuff. Which they seem to have managed.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Your easily pleased if you think that the taped steering wheel is better than the foam wheel?
    Well, it was just my HO.
    Fact is, I'm not easily pleased. That's why I went to the trouble of finding a taped wheel and fitting it.
    I still have the original foam one, in case I sell it to a collector.
    But me, I'm not a collector, I drive these cars for pleasure.
    And, IMHO, the taped wheel increases driving pleasure by 300%, yes.

The options are endless............... ROFLOL
    Yeah, look, it's got a red dash

Last edited by Don B. Cilly; 23rd May 2017 at 02:53 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

Bump.

At some point, I would like to consider getting a steering wheel for my 1974 DSpecial. Not urgent, but it would be nice. I contacted Denton Christie from European Autocare and the costs were around $880 (and not including shipping).

Along with a complete set of blue cloth seat covers. I am leaning towards Citronpieces (a complete set is around $700 including shipping). Are their any Australian distributors of Citronpieces or similar? Alternatively, I could try to have the seats recovered locally in Melbourne. Again this is not urgent.

Thanks very much!!!

Syd
    1974 Citroen D Special (Blanc Meije)
    1989 Citroen 2CV 6 Dolly (Plum & Custard)
    1995 Citroen XM Series II V6 (Vert Vega)

(Previously owned Frenchies - 1976 Citroen GS 1220, 1997 Peugeot 306 XSi)

Hi syd,

I have sourced and ordered a refurbished steering wheel from overseas, no exchange unit sent.

If it all works out I'll pass on details - does not sound like your in a hurry.

Alex
    gsowner84 likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Arekisir View Post
    Hi syd,

I have sourced and ordered a refurbished steering wheel from overseas, no exchange unit sent.

If it all works out I'll pass on details - does not sound like your in a hurry.

Alex
    Thanks Alex. Feel free to PM me as well the details as this sounds like a good option for me.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Tadpole

I have a late model Pallas steering wheel spare. Condition only really makes it suitable as a exchange.
    You can buy it from me for the price of "deposit" being charged by O/S fabricators.
    Glenn.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know via PM.

Regards Syd

Thread Information